I don't get losing weight...

Options
So losing weight confuses the heck out of me. I am 4 feet 11 inches tall and I weigh around 156 pounds. Since rejoining I have lost 10 pounds just by logging my food and exercising for 30 minutes a day. I work out 5-6 times per week, 30-60 minutes a day, burning anywhere from 200 - 350 calories a time. MFP has set my calorie goals to 1350/day. I sometimes eat my workout calories, sometimes I don't, just depends if I am hungry. I very rarely go over my calorie goals though. My goal on here is set to lose 1 pound per week.

I've been stuck at 156 pounds, no gaining or losing, (unless it TOM, then I gain a little). I am wondering, am I not eating enough? Am I eating too much? Not working out enough? My diary is private as I don't like to share that information with people. But if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it!

- Amanda

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    1) Open your diary
    2) Do you weigh and measure everything you eat
    3) Do you log everything that has calories that you put in your mouth
    4) Do you know your TDEE?
    5) Do you know your BMR?

ETA: Not trying to be a jerk, just some legitimate questions that will help make my advice actually useful
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    1) Open your diary
    2) Do you weigh and measure everything you eat
    3) Do you log everything that has calories that you put in your mouth
    4) Do you know your TDEE?
    5) Do you know your BMR?

^^^^This.

I don't have the link handy, but a thread like In Place of a Road Map is a great place to start. You might find that you are better suited to a cut of your TDEE rather than eating your exercise calories back.
  • a2o3
    a2o3 Posts: 11
    Options
    You should measure yourself on top of your weigh-ins. There's a possibility that you're losing fat and gaining muscle which accounts for why the scale doesn't move too much.
  • urmyeffinstar
    urmyeffinstar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do weigh/measure everything I eat. I won't put a darn thing in my mouth until I know how much I am putting in and have logged it for the day. I recently calculated my BMR and TDEE; BMR came out as 1370 and TDEE was 2123.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    You should measure yourself on top of your weigh-ins. There's a possibility that you're losing fat and gaining muscle which accounts for why the scale doesn't move too much.

Lets just say losing inches... its very difficult for anyone, especially women to be gaining muscle while in a caloric deficit.
  • urmyeffinstar
    Options
    Thanks! I actually just measured myself about two weeks ago and I am going to keep up on that! I am not the type of person to give up just because the scale isn't moving. I physically feel better when I work out, whether or not the weight is coming off. Just not sure I am doing everything right.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    Yes, I do weigh/measure everything I eat. I won't put a darn thing in my mouth until I know how much I am putting in and have logged it for the day. I recently calculated my BMR and TDEE; BMR came out as 1370 and TDEE was 2123.

What are you using as an activity level for TDEE?

Just as a point of reference, I am 5'8, 165lbs, 25% BF and my TDEE is only about 2200-2300. Unfortunately people tend to overestimate TDEE assuming that working out 1-2 hours 3-5 times a week classifies you as being moderately active when really that doesn't negate the fact that they are sitting or fairly inactive for the majority of their day.
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the best foods. I'm 5'4 and started around 147. I've noticed that if I work out daily and drink lots of water and stay under my calories. I lose a little each week. Try measuring your body. and maybe check out eat more to lose more. It's a group on here and it's ups your calories.
  • urmyeffinstar
    Options
    I chose moderate as I work out the 30-60 minutes a day. But I also work at Target 8-9 hours everyday so I am constantly on my feet running around the store. To be honest I am clueless as to what the point of a TDEE is, what the number means, or if I overestimated the activity amount.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    Also, rather than use what MFP suggests as it tends to not be a very good suggestion for those who are also exercising (the database burns can be VERY skewed), take 20% off your TDEE and that should be your total caloric intake for the day.

Another few tips for macros for preservation of lean body mass while in a deficit, eat roughly 0.8g/lb of bodyweight in protein or 1-1.5g/lb of LBM in protein.

ETA: After seeing that you are on your feet a lot during the day (similar to myself), I took an average of my lightly active and moderately active TDEE just to be conservative.

TDEE is your total calorie burn from the day which includes your BMR (how much energy you burn basically in a coma) and every activity as soon as you get out of bed, exercise, work, etc. So TDEE is already accounting for your "exercise calories" which is why you don't need to eat them back, they've already been given to you in your daily goal to maintain aka TDEE. To lose weight you want to create a deficit from your TDEE, total calories for the day roughly TDEE - 20%.
  • urmyeffinstar
    Options
    Do you suggest I change the activity level to light to get a more accurate TDEE?
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    I edited my above post to add in some more information. :smile:
  • urmyeffinstar
    Options
    Alright thanks! I think I will try and follow the TDEE - 20% and see how that pans out. When I first joined MFP it has me, like many other people, set to eat 1200 calories a day which just wasn't enough for me.
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options

What are you using as an activity level for TDEE?

Just as a point of reference, I am 5'8, 165lbs, 25% BF and my TDEE is only about 2200-2300. Unfortunately people tend to overestimate TDEE assuming that working out 1-2 hours 3-5 times a week classifies you as being moderately active when really that doesn't negate the fact that they are sitting or fairly inactive for the majority of their day.

I'm loving the knowledge you're spitting. (taking notes as we speak)
    I've always been damn confused about this TDEE thing and BMR. I really, sadly, honestly, just don't get it.