Post Binge Eating?

Options
Hi there MFP users! I have been struggling with emotional/binge/over eating for a while. I typically feel really crappy afterwards and need some advice: What do you do (or recommend doing) after a binge? Should I drink lots of water? Wait a while and go workout to burn all of those calories off, etc? Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would just resume to life as normal and accept that you made a mistake and try harder to stick to your diet and training schedule the next day.

No need to over exercise or under eat because you ate too much one day, Just get back on the saddle and keep going.
  • Liz71459
    Liz71459 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. Have been struggling with it for years. Please don't beat yourself up about it. It only makes you feel worse. Drinking lots of water is a good idea. I would work out if you were going to anyway. Move on and forget about it. Some say try to think about what you could have done differently to avoid the binge. Like not having the trigger food to begin with and going out for a walk. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Binge eating is all emotional. Start fresh right away, not tomorrow.
  • stayingp0sitive
    Options
    @Cr01502 and @Liz71459 Thank you both very much! :)
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    I how anyone manages to work out after a binge. When I binge(d), I just feel so horribly, miserably full and bloated, I can't even move let alone exercise haha.

And yes, I would recommend water! I'm not sure if it would actually help, but it feels purifying and cleansing, which, even if it's only a psychological thing, helps!

Regardless, you just gotta accept your mistake. So you slipped up, not the end of the world! Try to remember what set you off and avoid it in the future, or find a way to cope with binge urges. I know, it's way easier said than done.
  • stayingp0sitive
    Options
    @GKoz004 Yeah, I think you're right about water being a more psychological solution, but I guess whatever works works! Thank you :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I agree with just resuming as normal. However, it may be a sign that you need to reevaluate your diet. You could be eating to little or possibly denying yourself your favorite foods.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes, accept that it's part of the 'process' and don't beat yourself up over it. You may be restricting yourself too much if you feel the need to binge. But, it also doesn't hurt to exercise a bit more to burn off what you've binged or make a dent in it or at least use the binge for motivation to eat 'better' the rest of the day.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I start over. I don't let it consume me, I move on! good luck!