Where do I find the motivation?

Options
How can I ensure that I will not over eat and force myself to exercise. I HATE the way I look, but for like 5 minutes I forget that and binge and feel horrible after. Do I need more motivation??????? I desperately need help.

Replies

• KhinoHoang
    Options
    You can't enure it. People struggle with it everyday. You have to master your mind first. Only you can make the ultimate decision of how you want to live your life.

If you really want to change, start changing the way you think first, then change your environment. Avoiding having tempting foods that you can easily access.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who can do that. You need to change your mindset, deal with your eating issues, make yourself a promise to move more. Maybe you haven't had that "lightbulb" moment yet that will really kick your butt into gear to do something.

My motivation was seeing the scales creeping up and up and up, and my already plus-sized clothes getting too tight.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It's all a mind game. For me it's like a battle with myself, for myself.
    My motivation comes from me, I make my own motivation. Some days are easier than others.
    In the end, you just have to learn to push yourself to do it.

Believe in yourself, good luck! :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Maybe try dieting OR exercise at first - changing everything at once is too overwhelming for some. Also, I've found that my binges came when I tried to restrict my eating too much, like the 1200 calories a day that MFP recommends for just about every woman that checks that "2 lbs per week" box (and we all do at first). If you're always hungry, you're gonna crack at some point. Try setting it to 1 lb per week or even 1/2 lb per week and see how that goes.
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    You have to really try! I know that it's hard at first, but you can do it. Just focus on what your goals are. I admit I do cheat too and when I'm realize that I'm eating junk, I tell myself to stop and it usually works. It is pretty much a mind game. And it sucks when I have a healthy and fit husband who likes to eat junk and drink soda all the time, so we always have it in the house and I'm proud that I don't splurge on it like I usually will. But it has become much easier to say NO to that stuff! :) YOU CAN DO IT!
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Simple enough... Look in the mirror. That's the only place you will truly find motivation and drive.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You gotta get strong -- strong enough to make good choices even when the motivation isn't there. You know why you want this; now you just need to decide how badly you want it. Actually, you have to get to the point where you NEED it.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    well for me - i had to force myself to exercise and with that i found motivation, every day i feel like gving it up and then i think about my starting weight 307.2 lbs and question myself , how the hell did you lose 71lbs and you still got about 86 more to go, and i ask myself, why give up hope, why not push hard . i had every single odd against me , every excuse in the world- i lost my mom (MY BIGGEST SUPPORTER), I WORK GRAVE, I CANT EVEN WALK.. WHY START ? WHY TRY ? and the only answer i had for myself was - I DONT WANT TO BE LIKE THIS NEXT YEAR!

you can do it, you have no idea what your body is capable of - hell i am still finding out!

today i run/jogged/speed walk/ walk 5 miles and girl let me you, on mile 2 i was ready to give up !!!

but i kept pushing - even if i had crawl, i was going to finish those 5 miles and i finished it!

inspiration wont find you , you have to find it!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Don't let this overwhelm you. You can do it! :smile:

Look at the success stories, if thy can do it.... So can you!

Make short term goals that will help you change. For example make a list of food that you should not overindulge in, find out what are appropriate portion sizes, buy a reusable water bottle, start going for walks, pre-plan your meals, buy healthier groceries, etc.

There is lots you can do, but you don't have to do it all at once.

Meeting small goals will help you get motivated and you will create a better lifestyle for yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. Journal. It will help you to pin point problem areas. It really works. I started a journal in October, it turned into a journal about what stresses me and a food journal. I also would talk about what I needed to do to reach my goals, I would talk over what my goals for the next day was and then it would be staring at me in black and white on the next day if I didn't do what I said I was going to do. That is what motivated me to eventually exercise.

2. You can make small changes and stick to them for a couple of weeks and just having that success will help you to want to get more success. I started out just by adding more fiber to my diet. I didn't set out to cut calories, but the fiber rich foods helped fill me up and eventually got my cravings more under control. This might lead you to having more energy and that will lead you to be motivated to exercise, in fact it might be harder to not exercise since some people just start bouncing off the walls when they eat healthier.

3. Remember everyday you meet your goal for the day is a success story. So, if you log your calories for the day that is a success. If you are under your calorie allowance for the day that is a success. If you add 5 minutes of exercise a week to your starting goal of say 20 minutes and keep adding until you are getting a good deficit creating amount of exercise that is a success.

4. Reward yourself. Maybe at each 5 pound loss you can get a color of nail polish you really want, but it's sort of out of your comfort zone, you should just go for it and flaunt it, cuz you earned it. I dunno on this one, I am sort of lost on what women want as far as rewards go, I should ask one of my kids. Oh maybe you could download some songs you really like to an IPOD or something. As I said as far as rewards go YMMV.

5. When you start losing be aware of improvements to your movement, clothes fitting that didn't fit before, if people are becoming nicer, etc... Positive reinforcement breeds positive actions.
  • Kalere
    Kalere Posts: 19
    Options
    I know EXACTLY where you're coming from... for the longest time, I did the same thing. I'd feel insecure about my weight / how I look / etc., binge as a result of my emotions, then feel 100x worse afterwards. It's a vicious cycle.

I think the hardest part of loosing weight is the initial decision to begin a lifestyle change. I ultimately found my motivation to begin a healthier lifestyle by dwelling on all of the negative events that I've experienced in my life that may have been influenced by my weight. It's difficult to explain, but thinking about those negative experiences motivates me to make positive changes. I do realize that may not work for everyone, but it helps me. :)

After maintaining a 1200 calories-a-day 'diet' (for lack of a better word) for three weeks now, I've lost two pounds, but that's enough to keep me motivated! As soon as you get started, it's easier to keep going.

As far as exercise goes... I despise it lol. I don't get those exercise 'highs' a lot of people talk about. When I exercise, I actually feel de-motivated. But I do make sure that I do some sort of physical activity (usually walking) for at least 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week. As I begin to lose more weight, I do plan to incorporate some strength training into my daily activity, to prevent 'saggy-ness' and being 'skinny-fat'. But hey, if you don't feel the motivation to exercise at first, then I'd say, don't worry about it... I do believe that what you eat and how much of it accounts for more of your weight loss, exercise just speeds up the process. As you get closer to your body's ideal weight, however, I do think exercise is important (and maybe by that time, you'll feel motivated to exercise just by how much you've already lost!).
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You can't enure it. People struggle with it everyday. You have to master your mind first. Only you can make the ultimate decision of how you want to live your life.

If you really want to change, start changing the way you think first, then change your environment. Avoiding having tempting foods that you can easily access.

This.

It's not like we just found motivation underneath our couch cushion while searching for loose change.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

This.

It's not like we just found motivation underneath our couch cushion while searching for loose change.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This.

It's not like we just found motivation underneath our couch cushion while searching for loose Cheetos.

Fixed that for ya.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

This.

It wasn't loose change...I dropped a Cheetos, the crunchy kind..so yeah, it was worth getting back.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    - you can make a scrapbook of the thinsperation bodies that you want to be.
    - write a letter to your future self. when you're about to binge, read that letter to remind yourself WHY you wanna do this.
    - don't turn to food as medicine - it's supposed to be pleasure, but it's not supposed to be your comforter/friend.
    - the motivation comes within you, nothing and no one can FORCE you to work hard.
    - get your friends to start losing weight with you and hold each other accountable.
    - make small changes in your diet - you don't have to go on a DIET, you just have to make HEALTHY lifestyle changes.

TRUST ME - once you start eating healthy, the pounds shed themselves off.
    then, you can implement small exercise routines into your life and you'll be on your way (:
    just keep being motivated. do not slack off!
    occasional binges are okay ONLY during plateaus. and even then, they're risky.
    good luck!
    add me if you want more support :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    How can I ensure that I will not over eat and force myself to exercise. I HATE the way I look, but for like 5 minutes I forget that and binge and feel horrible after. Do I need more motivation??????? I desperately need help.

"Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest, or the tendency of an object to resist any change in its motion."

All it takes to overcome inertia is to start. Start. Don't post about it, don't delay one more second. Just. Start.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    come join my facebook motivational group :) We will help you love!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canadian-Beach-Body-Babes/499348756795971
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

This.

It wasn't loose change...I dropped a Cheetos, the crunchy kind..so yeah, it was worth getting back.

...the crunchy kind? Do they ... Do they make another kind? Like, ” New, Jelly Cheetos! Now made with Oikos Greek yogurt!!” ?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This.

...the crunchy kind? Do they ... Do they make another kind? Like, ” New, Jelly Cheetos! Now made with Oikos Greek yogurt!!” ?

I think he meant opposed to the cheeto "puffs" , Aurie...