IS LOW CALORIE MEAT POSSIBLE?

Options
m012192
m012192 Posts: 45
So I'm making dinner for my boyfriend,dad and myself; we're all dieting. I need a meat that i can use with baked potatoes and veggies on the side. I want something that's healthy,low fat and low calorie. any ideas?

1417422.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Fish like tilapia and salmon come in around 110 to 150 cal. At least the fillets in our freezer are. Tyson chicken tenderloins are 100 calories for 3 oz. :)
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Talapia is good on cals and so is chicken breast. 6 ounces is 186 cals
  • m012192
    Options
    I do love chicken, but I'm all use to breading my meat and frying it so i guess im not sure how to prepare it
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Lean Pork, Chicken
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can bake some boneless, skinless chicken breast with some lemon pepper seasoning. 4oz for 110 calories!

edited to add: another option for boneless, skinless chicken breast is to use shake and bake. gives the kind of breaded texture for only 145 calories (110 for the chicken and 35 for the shake and bake).
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Grill the chicken. Regular grill or George Foreman.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Any kind of seafood or fish. 3 oz. of shrimp is about 80 calories, 4 oz. of chicken breast is about 130, tilapia is about 110 or so.
    I do love chicken, but I'm all use to breading my meat and frying it so i guess im not sure how to prepare it

Bread it and cook it a different way! Get some corn flakes, crunch them up real fine (with a spoon or your hands)... dip the chicken breast first in flour, then egg, then cover it with the corn flakes. Place it in a pan covered in olive oil and bake on 350 for 20 minutes. DELICIOUS. It bakes best if it's in thin strips, like 1/2"-1". I love doing this and making honey mustard and serving with diced baked potatoes (like baked fries just cut into cubes instead of strips! Season with rosemary).

Or, cut up the boneless skinless chicken breast (important - anything else will have more fat and doesn't taste as good - yuck!) into small pieces...cover a pan in olive oil and pan fry until thoroughly cooked (not pink inside) or golden brown. You can season with garlic powder or crushed red pepper, or McCormick's montreal steak seasoning (a little goes a long way). Once the chicken is done, throw in some frozen stir-fry veggies and cook those until they're done and the flavors mix beautifully. I like serving this on white rice or just by itself.
  • m012192
    Options
    ^^now that sounds great! thanks
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    I love boca burgers!! they have a lot of vegetarian options that are pretty low in calories and (I think) taste just as good as meat...if not better. The texture can be kind of different but I really enjoy it!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Filet steak...or ask the butcher for the leanest cut they have and get a half pound of it and cook medium rare and then cut in half. I eat half a lb of meat usually a week. I get oyster steak from my butcher, which has literally no visual fat, and eat 4 oz serving is like 250 calories.
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree with monkeyfood! My husband is an all meat kinda guy. For the past week and a half, I have been using Morning Star Farms and Boca in everything instead of the meat. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh He has yet to find out! We had meatloaf tonight and I made it with turkey instead of beef. Again, he loved it! Just wondering now how long I need to do this before I tell him what I am doing. lol
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I get either a chicken or turkey breast bash it out to make it thinner ,blitz a few wholemeal /white breadcrumbs which ever you fancy and a small amount of parmesan cheese grated either bake in the oven with a spritz of oil or fry in a little olive oil its so yummy .