I was able to mount my horse from the ground today!

Options
allshebe
allshebe Posts: 423 Member
Granted my horse is a 14-14.1 hand haflinger, but the last time I tried to mount from the ground it was a dismal failure. It probably doesn't help that we prefer a treeless saddle and my pony could use some help from MFP as well. I don't plan on doing this every time I ride, but I'm going to practice more because there's no way I can go on a trail ride if I can't get on the horse from the ground (stumps and ditches serve, but are not found every time you need to mount)

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Try getting her drunk first.

She'll be more receptive
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You inspire me. In my case it's a 15.2 Arabian gelding and a Passier dressage saddle. Can't wait to do it, hopefully sans mounting block.
  • sravenel
    sravenel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! My boy is a 15.3 paint I ride bareback mostly and there is NO WAY I can jump up from the ground right now so he looks at me like I have two heads when I stand on the back of my car to get on him.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm betting any non-horsey people that read that title are going "so what?" But I couldn't tell you the last time I mounted my horse from the ground... But he's 16.2hh. And not patient while I struggle just to lift my foot that high into the stirrup.

Congrats though!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is a fabulous achievement. WTG! The last ten times I rode I had to use a step stool to get my foot near the stirrup, never mind the thought of using my arm strength to hoist my chubby self up. This nice old boy could be an NBA player. He's TALL. I've lost over 40 pounds since then, but I'm doing cardio and not weights, so no help from the arms in the near future... He'll be glad for the lost weight the next time I see him. :wink: :blushing:
  • Freedom125
    Freedom125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats, what a great feeling! My mare is 15.1hh and I can only mount from the ground if I drop a stirrup.. but then I feel bad about doing that to her joints, so I just always use the block. I can't wait to be able to just lightly spring up there!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!