logging in exercise that's entered in Diet Profile?

Options
I hope this question hasn't been asked too many times,
but I recently started exercising again, set a new diet plan and wasn't sure how to go about it -

1. My work is basically desk job, but I do spend some time on my feet - I get to walk around the campus for an hour a day sometimes, but some days I hardly walk at all. a couple of times a week I might go grocery shopping etc. which includes more light walking, sometimes for an hour at a time. I set my profile to sedentary - would you? If so, would you log these light walks in your exercise?

2. I plan to exercise 3 times a week and set it in my diet plan. Should I still log it and "eat back" the calories I have lost, or is it a part of the daily intake calculation?

Thanks Everyone.

Replies

• ArataCPA
    ArataCPA Posts: 3
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't log anything I normally do. Considering you are set to sedentary, you could count it . . . but my philosophy is if you are already doing that normally and you aren't losing weight then you should only count "extra" exercise. I too have a desk job, but I don't count walking around the building, even if it is a walk to a meeting room in a far building that only occurs infrequently.

Now, I do have examples of every day activities I do count. I do count my gardening, because unfortunately, I haven't been doing that frequently. But if I were out there every day, I most likely wouldn't. I also count deep spring cleaning, but I don't count the everyday light straightening up that I do.

Lastly, I read that exercise should only be counted as exercise if it is done at least for a 10 minute duration. Your light walks do meet that criteria, but I am still leaning towards not counting them.

I hope this helps, I have had the same debate in my mind.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise even the 2 hour karate sessions I have done for the last 16 yrs as well as the gym I am now doing 4 day total of 6 session a week

I eat back some of my exercise
  • Gilush
    Gilush Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that was really helpful.

I decided instead of logging in walks I'll set the diet profile to lightly active, and log in the exercise and see how the weight loss goes in a couple of weeks or so