Increased my calories, now im adjusting

Options
I don't know if this classifies as a rant....just surprised at my hunger so letting people know what i figured out...

I was losing weight successfully at 1200 calories then my body hit a massive slow down for 6 weeks. With very little weight to lose remaining, it was suggested to me to alter my settings to lose .5 lb a week by eating 1460 calories daily.

The 1st week I changed my goal mid-week and lost a pound and a half. Last week was my first full week eating at 1460 and for my weekly saturday weigh-in I maintained my weight--no change. I expected an adjustment period so I am not concerned about that. As long as I didnt gain I am happy.

What I didnt expect was how hungry I would be. I never felt hungry on 1200 calories a day I assume because I was doing it for long and my body got used to it. Now that I have been eating at 1460 for almost 2 weeks my body is getting used to that. My mistake is I have been packing my breakfast, lunch, and snacks as if I were still eating 1200 daily calories and then eating the difference with dinner and night time snack. I didnt account for the extra hunger mid-day. I just realized I need to pad my breakfast and lunch with some extra calories and/or bring extra midday snacks.

I still have about 3 hours until I get home from work and I get really distracted by hunger....tomorrow will not be the same situation :tongue:

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It is odd how this works but that is what happened to me too after stalling on the 1,200 and upping cals. But becoming more hungry on more calories is a good sign it means that your metabolism is coming back. If you are exercising you should eat those calories back too. Upping protein and fiber helps and lots of water.:drinker:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have an obscenely huge snack collection in my drawer at work LOL. If I were trapped in the building, I could eat for DAYS.

I keep things like almonds, granola bars, skinny cow chocolate candy, dill pickles (individual serving packs), and protein bars. I also have soup, pretzels, hot cocoa, popcorn, and drink mix LOL.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your leptin levels have increased since you decreased the deficit, meaning your hunger signals are not as impaired and no longer giving you false reports of meeting energy needs when you truly weren't.

Regarding your calories, it does not matter how you space them out in a 24-hour period as meal timing and frequency is irrelevant. The only consideration pertaining to time is you can set aside your lower calorie snacks or meals when you do not have much time - as in a short break at work - and larger meals when you have the liberty to enjoy a bigger, more calorie rich meal.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It is odd how this works but that is what happened to me too after stalling on the 1,200 and upping cals. But becoming more hungry on more calories is a good sign it means that your metabolism is coming back. If you are exercising you should eat those calories back too. Upping protein and fiber helps and lots of water.:drinker:

It's nice to hear someone experienced the same thing after upping their calories. Until you know that others went through the same it is a lot of guess work on whats happening.

I actually just upped my fiber intake starting Monday. I noticed I wasnt get enough fiber when I was on 1200 calories because those foods were higher calories and I cut back ( my high fiber bread at 120 calories a slice, my high fiber cereal at 220 a bowl plus milk, orange juice, etc...). It actually affected me on other levels. I am trying to incorporate more fiber foods but in the meantime i started taking fiber gummies for an extra 5g a day. When I get to my maintenance level I plan on eating those foods again.
  • LilyandO
    LilyandO Posts: 20
    Options
    I have been having the same issue -- I was eating about 900-1000 net and have brought it upto 1200-1300 net over the past week (to break a 4 week stall in weight loss) and I am SO SO hungry even with the increase in food/calories. Im not sure why this is because I used to be fuller on 900-1000 net. I seem to want more and more food now that I am eating slightly more. Its insane, almost like something has kickstarted within me and wants more and more and more.

But good to know that this is normal and nothing to worry about. I doubt I'll be able to bring my consumption back to 1000 net -- Ive totally loved eating more :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But good to know that this is normal and nothing to worry about. I doubt I'll be able to bring my consumption back to 1000 net

good! why would you ever want to eat so little again anyway?!