weight lifting - how heavy?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
I know weight lifting plays a massive part in getting the body we want but what weights should i be using? i do not have access to a gym so it all has to be done at home.

I currently have a pair of 3kg dumbbells at home, is this heavy enough or do i need to up these?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think you'll struggle to do much with 3kg dumbbells!

Realistically you might need anything from 10-100kg depending on how strong you are!
  • bradleyt1984
    bradleyt1984 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are always exercises you could do with these, google bodyweight exercises and then just incorporate the 3kg DB for added weight, but realisticallty you should be looking to increase the weights. Look in your local newspapers and ebay local deals...
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    There are always exercises you could do with these, google bodyweight exercises and then just incorporate the 3kg DB for added weight, but realisticallty you should be looking to increase the weights. Look in your local newspapers and ebay local deals...

This. In the mean time def incorporate those into body weight excercises...
    If you have money to spend Walmart & Amazon sell a dumbbell set for like 40-50$ that goes from 2.2lb bar to 40ish with all the weights on it... Prob a good start if you're working out at home! Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I know weight lifting plays a massive part in getting the body we want but what weights should i be using? i do not have access to a gym so it all has to be done at home.

I currently have a pair of 3kg dumbbells at home, is this heavy enough or do i need to up these?

Spartacus workouts on youtube.

TBH though I think all you REALLY need is a pullup bar. Bodyweight alone can get you the body you want more than likely. You just need a pullup bar to perform pulling exercises to work the muscles in the back and biceps.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If that's all the weight you have, look into bodyweight exercises.

Bodyweight squats and variations
    Inverted Rows and variations
    Pullups and variations
    Pushups and variations
    Dips and variations
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is relative to how much you can lift. It's generally considered to be the maximum weight you can lift for 5 to 8 reps. Therefore it is unlikely 3 kg could be considered 'heavy' for many people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Noticed you are in Surrey too...

Fitness Superstore have a good range and seem to have good prices - might be worth going to their Frimley branch to see how heavy you find various dumbbells. An adjustable set is very versatile and doesn't take up much space.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do you have much experience using weights?

If not, then you can do loads with 3kgs. Ideal to get started on
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If that's all the weight you have, look into bodyweight exercises.

Bodyweight squats and variations
    Inverted Rows and variations
    Pullups and variations
    Pushups and variations
    Dips and variations

this.

if you're interested in weightlifting, search craigslist on a regular basis.
    the barebones for weight training would be an olympic barbell with plates and a squat rack.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Fitness superstore is pretty good if you want to buy new.

If you're happy with second hand, keep an eye on ebay and gumtree etc.

If you're serious about it and have some cash, about £300 should get you an Olympic bar with plenty of weight, a bench and a power cage.

However, as a fairly light female you may find an Olympic bar is a bit much for some lifts, so probably better starting off with a normal (1 inch) bar.

I've been helping my friend who's not far off your target weight start to lift and the 20kg Olympic bar was a bit much for the overhead press and for others didn't allow any lower weight for warming up.

£10 for these - can get some metal ones as needed to build it up.
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/weights/1016826868

£30 for a bench:
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/bench-press-looking-for-quick-sale/1016533649

Ideally you'd have a rack to hold it for squatting - I've made my own out of spare wood, so cost me £0.
    If you keep an eye on ebay, racks do come up cheapish, but not nearly as often as benches.

If you've got someone that is spotting you, it may be less of an issue - ie I have to help my friend get the weight off the rack anyway because I set the rack to the right height for me. I can easily lift the way weight she's squatting as I weigh 50% more than her, for a start!

If you want safety bars, I'm told builders trestles can be quite good and are cheap.