Sigh...anyone have advice?

Options
So I started a program @ 261 lbs and have lost 11 lbs....well, I can't say that definitively because the scale bounced 3 lbs this morning for no apparent reason...no change in diet, sodium or exercise. Like a lot of people I've been obsessing with the scales and basically weigh myself every morning. The reason for this is because 5 years ago I did a similar program to what I'm doing now and lost basically 1 lbs every other day. This was huge for my motivation. I can deal with no losing anything, but for the scale to return to what it was the week before despite supposed to be 2 lbs lighter makes me CRAZY.

I eat right...my macro nutrients are pretty well lined up. I rarely ever eat more than the 1750 calories allotted to me. Even the days that I "cheat" I make sure that I run to burn these calories off.

I'm in the gym 5 days a week working hard...killing myself in there. I run in the morning for 30 and at night for 30 burning about 600 calories. I've been at this for 4 weeks now.

Yet, the scale dips then spikes..it's DRIVING ME CRAZY. It's like my body will not break the 11 lbs plane. Am I training too hard? Not enough? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm going to throw the scale in the garbage and give this 110% effort this month...and then see where I am because this roller coaster is really messing with me to the point where I'm questioning why even do this...

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Advice in regards to the scale - it's unreliable. The scale can fluctuate up to 10lbs due to food intake and water retention. Rely more on measurements.

Also, just to throw it out there, here's a link if you want to double check where you are. I'm not sure what your workouts consist of, but I do suggest making sure you are getting in weight training to help prevent muscle mass loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Also, just in case you want to double check your macros too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Another piece of advice. Don't focus on a scale # goal. Do a body fat% goal instead.
  • KimberleyD2
    Options
    Personally i like to tell everyone to look at the inches lost, then to a scale. To be honest i have lost inches & not the weight, as i only wanted it all this way. I am also very active & am doing alot of workouts at home only, plus i do take my dog for long walks & playing with my kids all the time!
  • shaitanslc
    shaitanslc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm engaged in a weight lifting program that Kris Gethin put together. Very intense workouts...

As far as inches go, I just feel like it's subjective in the sense that you can move the "belt" slightly and lose/gain an inch.

It's just frustrating to not have a solid indication of progress.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm engaged in a weight lifting program that Kris Gethin put together. Very intense workouts...

As far as inches go, I just feel like it's subjective in the sense that you can move the "belt" slightly and lose/gain an inch.

It's just frustrating to not have a solid indication of progress.

Ummm...well, to put it bluntly - you'll need to get over that in regards to your weight loss because it won't be linear, especially when going off the scale. For instance, I find that when I'm losing inches, the scale # doesn't really move. When it does, I don't lose very much in inches. It cycles back and forth.

From Sept to March, I stayed around 178lbs to 180lbs, but I lost inches. Went from a size 18 to 13. Now I'm losing the scale # (down to about 174lbs now) but the loss of inches has slowed.

Instead of measuring your progress solely on the scale #...measure it on how you come along in your fitness as well.

Realize that NSVs (non-scale victories) are the best way to chart your progress.
    For instance. Since late Feb, I've upped my chest presses and tricep extentions from 40lbs to 100lbs.
    I can do 30min of the Elliptical on a level 8 resistance workout (where last year I'd be lucky to last 5-10minutes on level 1-2..lol).
    Since September (about), I've gone from wall push-ups, to half push-ups...and now, I'm doing 3 sets of 20 reps of full push ups.

There is more to life and health than just a scale #. Focus on that.

Edited to correct typos
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The scale will fluctuate. It's the nature of the beast. What matters at this point in the game, for you, is that at the end of each month it is at a lower point than it was at the end of the month previous.

If the daily fluctuations bother you, try weighing only once a month.
  • shaitanslc
    Options
    Well said.
  • shaitanslc
    Options
    I think I'm just going to have to do this and trust that the work will provide results.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    Yeah, it can be frustrating when the scale goes up/down and at the end of the week, it's like you're maintaining rather than losing. Especially when you've been doing so much exercise and healthy eating.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    take a gallon jug, and fill it with water.

Then weigh yourself on your scale, and then weigh yourself again holding the jug of water.

A gallon of it weighs 8.3 pounds.. which is why fighters will dehydrate to make weight, they can lose up to 15 pounds just by shedding the water. Compare that to the differences in how much you drink and how much the food itself weighs and you can see how a scale is just a measure of how much your bones, fat, water, and food all weigh.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that your metabolism slows down with age. Five years ago you may have lost weight more quickly, but you are a bit older now. You already got great advice from Joy and 1concrete, so I will leave it at that.
  • KhinoHoang
    Options
    Also remember that as your weight drops, you have to make adjustments.

Whenever you are working out and you feel like you have a little more energy than usual, use that to work out a bit harder. The results will come.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day. Once a week is good, same time of day, wearing the same things if you wear clothes when you weight yourself. if you want to weight yourself every day just look at the big picture not the daily number.

I can go up 5lbs in a day no problem.

If you need a measurement for the other 6 days of the week, measure your mood, sleep......
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm really learning to stop paying attention to the scale. I have been gaining/losing the same 2 pounds since January, nothing I do seems to be showing on the scale. But I have just kept going and this weekend I bought clothes 2 sizes smaller than I was wearing 4 months ago and I am at my goal size...without the scale reflecting weight loss. Take measurements, take pictures. I KNOW you want the scale to reflect it to, but as you keep up with your program, the changes in your body are going to show in different ways, your health, your stamina, your clothes etc. I cannot stress enough to not the the evil scale stress you out :)
  • shaitanslc
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've removed the battery from my scale and threw it away. Now I have to pay $5 for a new battery every time I want to weight myself ;) Comical...but I think it's what will be best for me in the end and I will weight myself once every two weeks/month.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't always the answer but I know somewhat what you are going through as I often use it. Sometimes when you plateau it's because you are not getting enough calories and your body adjust. I have bump calories at three different times and actually lost weight the very next week. I now feel like I can't eat enough sometimes and I have been maintaining pretty well.
    I have a FB support group if you have any interest.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My advice is to have someone hide your scale or put it someplace where you can't just jump on it on a whim, like up on a closet shelf or something. Weigh in once a week or less. That's your issue. I am much more at peace when I'm not a slave to the scale or when my attitude on a given day is not dictated by that stupid number. Good luck and congrats on your dedication and success so far!

-Kendra