Alcohol question

Replies

• jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    I hate that my first post on MFP is a bummer, but here it is. I have for the last 6 years drank 2 glasses (large) of Wine a night. Three weeks ago I went to Dr. for a regular check up. CBC came back with high (slightly elevated) liver enzymes, high cholestoral and my hypo-thyroid was triple the normal range. The Doctor then sent me for an ultra sound of my right quadrant. I have been diagnosed with a FATTY LIVER from ALCOHOL.

I am 5' and 125 lbs. In order to get healthy again and reverse the damage I inflicted upon myself due to alcohol consumption, I have to eat a healthy, low fat, low carb diet with plenty of fresh food - not processed. Thank GOD what I have is reversable if I make those changes. If I do not I am slowly killing my liver / body.

Needless to say I have chosen the healthy life and completely given up alcohol. I was so amazed when I read about Fatty Liver Disease that Obesity, Insulin Resistance, Alcohol and Cholesterol all play a major part in it. Even social drinkers can get FLD.

Sorry to be a downer - but drop the alcohol and enjoy losing weight the healthy way. FLD is usually a silent disease until it progresses in the more dangerous zones.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe 2 glasses of wine a night over 6 years caused any damage to your liver.
  • cherchechristine
    cherchechristine Posts: 84 Member
    bump:laugh:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    I have alcohol if it fits into my calories...and I still lose weight. I wouldn't use ALL my cals for booze though ;)
  • thenpluck
    thenpluck Posts: 22 Member
    I think its pretty much already been covered, but I had exactly the same problem this week!

After researching it I found the main thing is Alcohol stimulates hormones to store fat, so although the calorie intake is not above it is telling your body to store fat, not burn it.

I hope that helps!
  • Sugar in alcohol is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream so cancels out a lot of the hard effort you have put in over the week. Could you try a spritzer to reduce it? Don't forget too that your body doesn't necessarily think in 24hr blips. I bet you are losing on a week to week basis.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    I save mine for a cheat day, only because I usually drink about 2000 calories worth. But, if you're only having a drink or two a night and you're reaching your calorie goal, I don't see why you wouldn't keep losing. Your situation isn't much different than someone who drinks a few cans of Coke a day.
  • jran3
    You can lose while consuming alkyhall, just not as fast as you want, and it does have "side effects" on the way your body handles other things such as: fat, calories, sugar, sleep cycles, hormones, etc, all of which can have an effect on your weight loss.. How much effect? That depends on your alcohol to wt ratio to begin with. Your overall body composition. Age. Sex. The intake of other foods, and/or medications. What is moderate drinking for one, can be heavy or light for another.

Not even going to address the 1200 Cal a day, or whether your "munchies" are being counted in that, etc. etc.
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    I often wondered the same question for many years why if you gave yourself a cal limit of 2000 a day with alcohol and then without do i remain fat with the alcohol and became very lean without. The answer is simple. It is all to do with your bodies hormonal response to carbohydrates and alcohol is very high in carbs and causes insulin levels to rise quickly. Insulin does three things it decreases your blood sugar levels and stores glycogen then turms the rest to FAT and then high insulin keeps the fat locked away so you then feel hungry because your brain needs energy but the high insulin levels stop the fat unlocking hormone Glucagon from doing its job. This is a very simple description of the hormonal effects of carbs/insulin/glucagon. Read a book called enter the zone its all in there and a lot more. The author refers to this situation as "carbohydrate hell". Y ou see losing weight is not just counting calories there are many responses from your body when you limit certain macros or increase others. Until you know what these are you will always struggle.
    Good luck
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I am surprised at so many people saying cut it out completely. You shouldn't have to cut out anything completely. Alcohol is perfectly fine in moderation, as is anything else.

I should imagine the problem is more to do with the fact that 1200 calories is not enough.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I often wondered the same question for many years why if you gave yourself a cal limit of 2000 a day with alcohol and then without do i remain fat with the alcohol and became very lean without. The answer is simple. It is all to do with your bodies hormonal response to carbohydrates and alcohol is very high in carbs and causes insulin levels to rise quickly. Insulin does three things it decreases your blood sugar levels and stores glycogen then turms the rest to FAT and then high insulin keeps the fat locked away so you then feel hungry because your brain needs energy but the high insulin levels stop the fat unlocking hormone Glucagon from doing its job. This is a very simple description of the hormonal effects of carbs/insulin/glucagon. Read a book called enter the zone its all in there and a lot more. The author refers to this situation as "carbohydrate hell". Y ou see losing weight is not just counting calories there are many responses from your body when you limit certain macros or increase others. Until you know what these are you will always struggle.
    Good luck

Yeh, I believed all that carbs/insulin/glucagon stuff not so long back too. It's easily done, sounds so plausible.

I am making it my mission to get as wrecked as possible, as often as possible and still drop fat. AND attempt to get all that good protein and essential fats inside me AND not exercise like a loon.

Currently enjoying my nightly fill of 'empty calories' ... Love 'em :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I make sure I have enough exercise calories for my alcohol requirements rather than eating into (pardon the pun!) my "nutritional" calories. I am losing weight. Yes, even from the mid-section.

As others have said, 1200 may be too low for you.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Alcohol will not make you gain weight unless you're going over your calorie maintenance number. And since you're at 1200, you're probably nowhere close to your maintenance number. That being said, you could probably afford to eat more than 1200 per day.

How much weight do you have to lose?
    You may want to consider changing your settings to a one pound per week loss.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    I heard that drinking alcohol slows down fat burning by up to 70% and for long after you drunk it too.

That said I can't stop drinking alcohol although I've tried my best to cut back and have some days when I don't drink at all and I think its really helped with the weight loss. Not having so many hangovers means I can exercise most days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I hate that my first post on MFP is a bummer, but here it is. I have for the last 6 years drank 2 glasses (large) of Wine a night. Three weeks ago I went to Dr. for a regular check up. CBC came back with high (slightly elevated) liver enzymes, high cholestoral and my hypo-thyroid was triple the normal range. The Doctor then sent me for an ultra sound of my right quadrant. I have been diagnosed with a FATTY LIVER from ALCOHOL.

I am 5' and 125 lbs. In order to get healthy again and reverse the damage I inflicted upon myself due to alcohol consumption, I have to eat a healthy, low fat, low carb diet with plenty of fresh food - not processed. Thank GOD what I have is reversable if I make those changes. If I do not I am slowly killing my liver / body.

Needless to say I have chosen the healthy life and completely given up alcohol. I was so amazed when I read about Fatty Liver Disease that Obesity, Insulin Resistance, Alcohol and Cholesterol all play a major part in it. Even social drinkers can get FLD.

Sorry to be a downer - but drop the alcohol and enjoy losing weight the healthy way. FLD is usually a silent disease until it progresses in the more dangerous zones.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe 2 glasses of wine a night over 6 years caused any damage to your liver.

Loosing weight can cause FLD without any alcohol consumption.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    If i stay under my calorie intake of 1200 calories a day and that includes alcoholic drinks I should still lose weight yes? I've been having a really hard time with this. I go out for the weekend and each day stay under my 1200 calories still and i'm still gaining weight on my sides and midsection. WHAT IS HAPPENING!?? help!!

Beer was designed by the Monks as a meal replacement, and to this day there is none better. Good carbs, a little protein, and ethanol as the preservative. The problem is the crappy so called lite beers. Stick with full bodied beers. Calories in vs calories out. It is that simple. I suggest using weight as only a small part of the equation. Fat percentage (calipers, etc), tape measure, and strength measurements (max bench) are far better indicators.
  • jran3
    I am surprised at so many people saying cut it out completely. You shouldn't have to cut out anything completely. Alcohol is perfectly fine in moderation, as is anything else.

I should imagine the problem is more to do with the fact that 1200 calories is not enough.

I've heard/read this 1200 cal a day minimum debate over and over. I've also read/heard some doctors say that for a small percentage of people, mostly very small/petite framed females, (yes people, there are such things...we're not all supposed to look or be built the same) 1200 may not create a deficit enough to lose.

Sooner or later, if you deprive your body of the calories needed to sustain, you will lose. It's that simple. The logic many use here would suggest that if you eat few enough calories, your body will maintain it's weight.

As stated, alcohol, like most other things, in moderation, should be ok within an otherwise healthy diet, and even allow one to lose wt. It is a substance you consume, and it will have an effect on your body, in some way, just like sugar, fat, protein, etc. does.

Before I'd advise any radical changes to anything, I'd ask the OP, "Are you sure you're being honest with your caloric intake every day?" (Yes, it is all about calories in vs. calories out. There may be better or ideal ratios of proteins, sugars, fats, and things that promote fat loss better than others, but if you consume less calories than you use, whether all protein or all carbs, the fuel for energy has to come from somewhere)

If the answer is "yes, I'm really only taking in an average of 1200 cal. per day", then alcohol COULD be a factor, but probably isn't the only factor in failure to lose.
  • jran3

Loosing weight can cause FLD without any alcohol consumption.

Which was kinda the point I was making. I didn't know that specifically, but if the poster had FLD, there were probably other bigger factors aside from alcohol consumption.
  • jran3

Ofocurse it would, any amount of alcohol causes damage to your liver duh.

The liver also repairs itself. So, yes, you're correct, it would cause some damage, though in a healthy individual, the damage should be offset by the fact the liver heals faster than the damage being done by moderate alcohol intake. Which was my point! DUH!
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Rum, brandy, cognac and other alcohols are loaded with SUGAR!!! and sugar converts to carbs and then to fat if not burned away. This could be the issue! Also, alcohol slows the metabolism... hope this helps.:wink:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    alcohol can damage your liver and slow down your metabolism if consumed heavily regularly which would then slow down weight loss however an odd drink once in a while is totally fine