why so many gms of carbs?

scarletjg
scarletjg Posts: 29 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, so my alloted carbs seemed high while my protein seemed spot on so I looked it up. I'm alloted 221 gms of carbs per day and everywhere I looked said that if you are trying NOT to lose weight, thats how much carbs you should have. The total you have per day should be around 45% of your total caloric intake. I'm give 1600 calories a day so 1500 x 45% = 720 calories = 180 grams.

Why why the discrepancy?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    MFP sets your default at 55% carbs - if you want to change it go to home-->Goals-->Change Goals-->Customize
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    MFP's automatic percentages are a bit off. Automatic I think is like carbs 65, protein 20, fat 15%. I have mine set at 45/30/25.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    holy cow i need to chill on the carbs!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Just another note - plenty of people have lost weight with their carbs set at 50 to 55%. In general, that's what I've heard recommended because carbs are important to your body - just make sure you're getting high quality carbs. (Fresh fruits/veggies, whole grains - stay away from highly processed carbs.) Some people find they lose weight better on low-carb diets, but I'd recommend people experiment to find what is best for their own body and not automatically assume they need to lower their carbs...
  • scarletjg
    scarletjg Posts: 29 Member
    I've reset my goals to what was suggested and was happy to be able to eat more protein for supper. I eat good carbs but I just found that I needed a bit more protein. I'll see how this works out for me. I'm still geting the same amount of calories so either way I should lose around 2 lbs a week.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    You can lose weight with any low calorie diet, I think the default mfp one is based on the food pyramid. Many people that tend to be overweight are at least part endomorphs, who tend to do better on low carb. I think this is due to blood sugar imbalances spiking more cravings. I personally have mine set at 40/40/20, or sometimes even 35/40/25. Not really low carb, but i find my meals more filling and have better energy.
This discussion has been closed.