Spinning alone

Options
nerchk
nerchk Posts: 136 Member
Hello fellow gym addicts. I would like to know if anyone tried spinning alone and not in a group. At my gym they have classes only in the evenings and I can only go to gym in the morning and I am interested in spinning. Do I really have to do it in a class? They do allow us to use the bikes even when there's no class.

Replies

• Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do it. I do group classes, so I know plenty of basic rides, but sometimes I can't be there during classes. I find that I don't work as hard, but it's still a great workout. Go for it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You certainly can do it alone. I have a spin bike at home and I'll hop on and put myself through the moves while I'm watching a 30 minute tv show. Occassionally, I'll watch a spinning dvd and do that workout.

I have to say that it's hard to go as "hard" as you would in the class. I still think I'm getting a decent workout, but part of the competitiveness and fun of being in a group is missing.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do step areobics alone in my home. I can see results after only doing it for four weeks. YOU have to do what works for YOU! It is all mental :-)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I detest working out in groups of more than 2. All that positive happiness hubub and "way to go" B.S. makes my skin crawl. Yea, I'm a ray of sunshine. It's Monday, so bah. :flowerforyou:
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    mell-starr-300x225.jpg

This guy is spinning alone and look at the sad look on his face. He has no partner in the DJ booth to tell him he has mad skillz and there is no one to dance to his mixes. Take it for what it's worth.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Do I really have to do it in a class?

Yes. The pedals will only go around in a circle when there is an instructor and at least one other person in the room. Don't know exactly how that works; some kind of weird magic interlock I imagine...

lol! sorry, couldn't resist, please forgive me?

Seriously though I've spent what feels like years spinning by myself in front of a TV with headphones on. One thing I've found really helps is to have a fan blowing on me, for some reason I either sweat a lot more or notice it more when I'm at home all by self with no other distractions. At the gym that may not be an option though...

Go for it.
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    mell-starr-300x225.jpg

This guy is spinning alone and look at the sad look on his face. He has no partner in the DJ booth to tell him he has mad skillz and there is no one to dance to his mixes. Take it for what it's worth.

Nailed it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    947181_497181963670853_278158833_n.jpg
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have a spin bike at home. I can crank up some music and go but it's never as good as a class. Something about having an instructor and a class full of other people that keeps me more motivated.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I detest working out in groups of more than 2. All that positive happiness hubub and "way to go" B.S. makes my skin crawl. Yea, I'm a ray of sunshine. It's Monday, so bah. :flowerforyou:

No wonder we are friends. I could not agree more. :flowerforyou:
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Will most def go for it
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    There are some good spin bike apps for your phone. I use them when I can't get a class in