can I freeze pulled pork?

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
I plan on making some this week......but I have such a huge peice of pork to use up that there will definitely be a ton of leftovers.

I just want to know If I can put the leftovers into several containers and freeze until a later date.

The recipe will be just pork, ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning.

thanks!

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    Yes.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    absolutely!!

My mom makes big batches of kalua pig (shredded hawaiian pork) and she freezes dinner sized portions and they come out perfect.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    EXCELLENT!!! thanks!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Freezer ziplock style bags work well. Press as much air out as you can and stack. We have been freezing it for years!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Freezer ziplock style bags work well. Press as much air out as you can and stack. We have been freezing it for years!

they even have the new bags that come with a gadget to suck all the air out it actually works really well. Since its just me and my two kids i use it all the time to break out the pound size hamburger meats and freeze left overs and, breakfast sausages. ziploc is one brand and there is another brand renylods maybe?
  • mamagooskie
    Options

That's a good idea!!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Re: Freezing -

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll still occasionally experience freezer burn, especially with meats/fish (rather than produce or dairy so much) so what I've started doing is I'll wrap whatever twice. If I've gone to one of the BIG stores (ie: Sams, Costco, etc) and get 12 lbs of meat, when I get home and break it up, I'll wrap it up in aluminum foil AND baggies, with dates on both. I also try to wrap as much as I can individually so that the meat doesn't stick together (ie: steaks, chops, etc).

For soups, stews, meats of the type you're talking about - I'll put it in a disposable tubberware container and then bag it - with dates. This way, there's alot less risk of burn and waste. :-( no one can afford that these days! And we still have meat from 2-3 months ago that's still perfect!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Re: Freezing -

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll still occasionally experience freezer burn, especially with meats/fish (rather than produce or dairy so much) so what I've started doing is I'll wrap whatever twice. If I've gone to one of the BIG stores (ie: Sams, Costco, etc) and get 12 lbs of meat, when I get home and break it up, I'll wrap it up in aluminum foil AND baggies, with dates on both. I also try to wrap as much as I can individually so that the meat doesn't stick together (ie: steaks, chops, etc).

For soups, stews, meats of the type you're talking about - I'll put it in a disposable tubberware container and then bag it - with dates. This way, there's alot less risk of burn and waste. :-( no one can afford that these days! And we still have meat from 2-3 months ago that's still perfect!

thanks!! any tips on thawing for me?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    thaw it in the fridge for the slowest and safest method. takes about a day, so you have to plan ahead.

thaw it on the counter for faster action, takes about 1/2 day

thaw it submerged in warm water for the fastest thaw, takes less than an hour.

DON"T thaw in the microwave. that continues to cook the meat and makes for rubbery yucky results.