Thinking about getting my colon cleanse! What do you think?

Options
Hi Mfpers,

Ive been pondering for a while about getting my colon cleanse. I had a friend who went to get it done at a colon cleanse place but, that sounded a bit ......:blushing: invasive . I am thinking of maybe trying a mild colon cleanser but, my friend think it won't be as effective as going to a place that professionally cleanse your colon! I've seen how much slimmer she looks from doing this procedure and her complexion looks a lot brighter and clearer. I hear that getting all of those impurities out of your colon really makes a tremendous difference in your health.

I guess my question to all of you is do you think I should try the professional service to get my colon cleansed or do you think I should try the milder approach:ohwell: ? Also, have any of you out there tried it? If so how did you feel about it?:wink:

Replies

• divalovesyou1
    Options
    Hi Mfpers,

Ive been pondering for a while about getting my colon cleanse. I had a friend who went to get it done at a colon cleanse place but, that sounded a bit ......:blushing: invasive . I am thinking of maybe trying a mild colon cleanser but, my friend think it won't be as effective as going to a place that professionally cleanse your colon! I've seen how much slimmer she looks from doing this procedure and her complexion looks a lot brighter and clearer. I hear that getting all of those impurities out of your colon really makes a tremendous difference in your health.

I guess my question to all of you is do you think I should try the professional service to get my colon cleansed or do you think I should try the milder approach:ohwell: ? Also, have any of you out there tried it? If so how did you feel about it?:wink:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    just my 2¢

generally, a healthy digestive tract does its own job (and a very good one i might ad) of cleaning itself out all by itself.
    some of these procedures, in addition to being invasive, arnt worth the money, and can harm you instead of helping!

Your colon absorbs water and sodium to maintain your body's fluid and electrolyte balance...

so plenty of water and fiber should do just as well or better than a professional 'cleansing'

again, just my opinion :)
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to "colonics", IMHO I think it's hooey. I also agree that your colon does it's own "housekeeping" so to speak as long as you eat a healthy diet rich in fiber.

Just my .02 :ohwell:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've only ever thought about it once... I went from eating from next to no fiber to eating about 40g a day. My colon didn't like the change, and decided that instead of exploding, it'd just hold everything in.

Yeah, lots of pain.

So, one brief date with laxatives and I haven't had a problem since.

I think your system will work on its own, so long as you don't make any really sudden changes to your diet. Plus the benefits of colon cleanses, so far as I know, have a lot of 'uneven' medical grounds. I'm not saying it can't work, I'd just like to see some conclusive studies :)

If you're worried about it, detox tea is great, and it does leave you feeling pretty invigorated! Other than that, just mae sure you get plenty of fiber, grean leafy veggies, and water.
  • Annab412
    Annab412 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't know alot about the procedure, I have not had it done, but as a nurse I do know that there are many bacteria that live naturally in your colon and intestine that you need to help digest your food and maintain fluid balance. A colon cleanse may upset this balance of flora and predispose you to a GI infection (Clostridium Dificile or other). I would call your primary health care office and ask the nurse or doctor for a recommendation. Your body has its own mechanisms for eliminating toxins from your body, placing/forcing something in the colon through the rectum may also cause sphincter damage and rectal tears, and irritate the mucosa causing polyps or hemorrhoids. I am not recommending it one way or the other, but definately check with a doctor before you let anyone stick anything up there!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Dr's say death begins in the colon- cause all that junk gets stuck there-- I too was looking at getting a colonic-- Alot of people aren't aware that people hold 5+ lbs of junk in their colons- Go for it- but the home remedies and natural stuff won't scratch the surface (no pun intended). As for a colonic it will take more then one time for you to see results per the hydro-therapist that I spoke with- I know plenty of people that did it and highly recommend it-- good luck on your decision
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cleansing/AN00065

Read this article, and if you still feel the need to do one, talk to your doctor first. It's not for everyone.

Hope this helps even a little bit.
    :flowerforyou:
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    Dr's say death begins in the colon- cause all that junk gets stuck there-- I too was looking at getting a colonic-- Alot of people aren't aware that people hold 5+ lbs of junk in their colons- Go for it- but the home remedies and natural stuff won't scratch the surface (no pun intended). As for a colonic it will take more then one time for you to see results per the hydro-therapist that I spoke with- I know plenty of people that did it and highly recommend it-- good luck on your decision

This is what some one else told me about death beginning in the colon! That's the standpoint I'm looking at as well!! However the points everyone else has brought up was very good also! The Pro's and Con's are HEAVY for this one!!:ohwell:

I might try to consult with a doctor or two to get their standpoint on this matter! Because, this is something, I'm really seriously thinking about trying!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

This is what some one else told me about death beginning in the colon! That's the standpoint I'm looking at as well!! However the points everyone else has brought up was very good also! The Pro's and Con's are HEAVY for this one!!:ohwell:

I might try to consult with a doctor or two to get their standpoint on this matter! Because, this is something, I'm really seriously thinking about trying!

Currently I am taking Next to Nature my friend recommended them they are aloe vera and they help get things moving and they are pretty cheap- you can order them from there website as well and when you get them they send you a sample to give to a friend-- My brother also told me about these pills you get from a mexican store (he lives in Tx) I can't remember the name though he said they work great too-