Restarter needing and offering support

Options
Hi guys, I've come back to MFP after gaining 2 stone and hating myself for it.
I've been trying halfheartedly for the last 6 months to shift some weight but this weekend was the final straw.
I had a night out at the weekend for my birthday and had the worst time. I couldn't find anything to wear due to my weight gain and then when I saw the photos.....OMG!!!!

So, I'm back today and determined I'm going to lose. I've had a pretty crappy time over the last couple of years and thats still ongoing so I know I'm going to struggle to keep focused when things are getting on top of me. I've never tried buddying up with someone before but thought it mught be worth a shot.

I'm pretty good at motivating others so it would certainly be a 2 way street. If anyone would like to join forces and beat this ting together, give me a shout.

Like I said, never done it this way before so if theres something I should be doing thta I'm not, just let me know :-)

x

Replies

• KatR13
    KatR13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a good motivator i like to say :)
    Having a little low myself at the moment tho, but if you still like to add me, go ahead.
    I will do my best,
    as of now, good luck with your journey. You will do great!
    Kat
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Most of us have been in your shoes before. Part of life! I am on my second major weight loss iteration myself and am GOING TO MAKE IT STICK this time! Feel free to add me. Best of luck!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I too had a relapse after joining in October of last year....started off good...my goal was 20lbs...I would like to be around 180...

Then the holidays hit, and for some reason (maybe my subconcious), I quit coming to the site and recording my calories....BOOM...back up to 197 and I was almost half way to my goal. Kind of pissed myself off, but no one to blame but myself.

Anyone that says maintaining or not going off track from time to time is easy is crazy...everything out there is setup to make you fail. Just take a look at ALL the holidays that DEMAND food as a celebration: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Halloween...and then start the cycle over.

Cheating for one day isn't going to break anyone, but if you are like me, that cheat seems to last a month!!!!!!!

Good luck with your journey, I turn 40 soon, and I've decided I'm not stopping anymore...I will count it all regardless and not let myself take "days" off from recording my activity.
  • lemonyposset
    lemonyposset Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Hows everyone doing with exercise?
    I used to go to the gym 4-5 times a week but this is something else I'm really struggling to get back into.
    I'm in a job I HATE and by the time thats over I'm so drained I just have no energy to do anything other than go home.
    Working out before work isn't an option as my gym isn't open that early and I onlh have 30 minutes for lunch so can't exercise at lunchtime either.

I know I NEED to pull myself together and get to the gym, and I will. But I think I'm in a visious cycle where if I don't go I think I screwed up and then the food takes a hit as well.
  • lashayinc
    lashayinc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I added you.

I'm been trying to get back on track myself. Would love to have some needs friends as well. :smile:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Went on vacation with a friend last week and looked at pictures ... blech. So it's back to MFP after a couple months of noticeable slacking! Sending a friend request now. :)
  • lemonyposset
    Options
    Thansk guys, all friend requests are gratefully accepted. The more the merrier :-)
  • lawna73
    lawna73 Posts: 6
    Options
    I too have seen the scale go up and down. I have clothes in 6 different sizes. In the past I have allowed life issues and stress to get me off track and the weight goes back up. Since Nov. 2012 I have been on the journey again to lose, but am really concentrating on a life journey. Trying to learn how to eat better and maintain a workout schedule even during stressful times. MFP seems to be a great motivator. Good luck to you! Take it one step at a time.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Hows everyone doing with exercise?
    I used to go to the gym 4-5 times a week but this is something else I'm really struggling to get back into.
    I'm in a job I HATE and by the time thats over I'm so drained I just have no energy to do anything other than go home.
    Working out before work isn't an option as my gym isn't open that early and I onlh have 30 minutes for lunch so can't exercise at lunchtime either.

I know I NEED to pull myself together and get to the gym, and I will. But I think I'm in a visious cycle where if I don't go I think I screwed up and then the food takes a hit as well.

Yeah I know it can suck. But its your life...like everything else you have a choice. Go or don't go. I get up at 4 am every week day to go to the gym. Bites big time, but by 6 I am done and know that I have done what I need to do for myself. Not work, not my family...this is for me. But no excuses, right? I hear you about the energy level...its HARD WORK! You got it in you, though or you wouldn't be here. You can do it! You got a lot of people here cheering for you to succeed! Go...go today...and see what tomorrow brings.
  • Sequoia82
    Options
    Hello everyone

I'm currently in the same boat at a job I can't stand but I do look forward to going to my zumba classes after work. So maybe going to a class that you like will get you back to the gym.
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person at all (in fact, I was diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome). Yet, for the past two weeks , I have been getting up every other day an hour early to do a strength training workout at home. It's just a temporary thing, until I get back in the habit of exercising. Then, I will get back to the gym. But for now, it is all I can manage, and I feel better already, and I'm losing inches. Just do SOMETHING, and your momentum will build!
  • Lynds7128
    Lynds7128 Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi All! Welcome! I am here for support... ANY & ALL.... ADD ME! :)
  • rocknrolljunkie_
    rocknrolljunkie_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting again today too. And looking for new, motivating friends.

I started doing Body Beast on Saturday. And re-started the couch to 5K program last week. I've signed up for two 5k races to try and keep me moving forward. It's tough starting over but we can do it!!

Add me! :)
  • tinethebean2
    tinethebean2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Request sent here if you need any support xx
  • lemonyposset
    Options
    I know, I know. You're all right. I do know I need to get my gym mojo back.
    I didn't know if I'd be better doing baby steps and geting my food on track first and then hitting the gym.
    Or, just going full whack and going for the everything at once.
    x
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I didn't know if I'd be better doing baby steps and geting my food on track first and then hitting the gym.
    x

Depends on you. If you can do it all at once, do it. If not phase things in slowly and make each bit a new habit and life style.
  • lemonyposset
    Options
    x

Depends on you. If you can do it all at once, do it. If not phase things in slowly and make each bit a new habit and life style.

hhmmm I think under normal circumstances I could do it all at once. But (I hate to used the word depressed as I think it's bandied around way too much) I dont think mentally I'm able to right now. I'm worried I'm going to set myself up to fail if I try to go 'all out' miss the gym and think whats the point.
    I think, for where I am at the minute, I need baby steps.

After all, from small acorns ;-)
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise....I simply can't stand going to a gym. It always starts off decent, but just ends up being a chore that I seem to "find" excuses for not doing.

I've begun a simple home bodyweight circuit routine 3 days a week, that slowly builds up. It isn't much, but it is easy to get the time to do (I can literally do it in my jammies if I wanted to, which I don't).

Of course I warm up a bit first (I happen to have an elliptical that was given to me, and it does nicely for a 5 minute warm up). Then I do a simple circuit of pushups/squats/pullups/modified situps (not all the way, only to about 30-35 degrees)....I do 5 sets with absolutely no rest at all.

I find myself very winded, and while it isn't an hour of cardio, it does get my blood pumping and is at least some kind of exercise. And it literally takes me 15 minutes to do right now. Of course that will go up as the reps for each exercise goes up....my targets are 100 pushups/200 squats/30 pullups/200 situps....but that is many months off, I increase 1-2 for each set for the easies, and usually 1 more pullup per complete week (pullups suck...they really do)

All exercise is boring after you do it or a while...takes willpower to really keep at it.

Good Luck!