Messed up metabolism??

Options
Ok getting a bit discouraged, for the past THREE weeks I have worked out every single day without fail. My calories during the week are good and I am eating healthy. I will admit we blow it a bit on the weekends and have wine almost every night. I have been steadily gaining though for the past month. I'm 2 pounds shy of being back to where I was at a year ago - UGH. The problem with this is that last summer when I had lost the weight I bought all new clothes and donated a lot of my old ones. So now I can't fit into anything, mayday, mayday!!! I am wondering if my metabolism is messed up now or something? Last year I was able to eat great during the week, go "off" the wagon when I wanted to, and STILL was able to lose weight. How in the world can my metabolism have tanked so badly in the past 4 months? (Basically since December I have gained 7 pounds.) Just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a messed up metabolism. Going to follow your post to see what others have to say. :)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to look at your weekly calories. I'd suggest logging those weekends. They may be what is throwing you.

As far as your metabolism is concerned, don't forget that you don't burn as many calories now as you did when you were heavier so you will not lose weight at the calorie level that may have worked then.

It's the price of success.:grumble:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Me too. Exercised regularly for past several months, but I was eating at or below my bmr 6/7 days of the week for months. Lost nothing. Now I am upping my calories in effort to repair my metabolism. Will also be getting my thyroid checked soon to rule anything wrong with it out.
  • chervargish
    chervargish Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'm also wondering if I have somehow messed up my metabolism by not eating enough during the day. I basically eat small throughout the day so that I can save the heft of my calories (800-900) for dinner and 2 glasses of wine. I think I need to start tracking on the weekends too....
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat! I found a program that helped me and I was finally able to start losing again. I have lost 75lbs and maintained for over a year. I think the key for me is to not go longer than three hours without eating. Keeps my metabolism going!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest watching Dr. Layne Norton PHD Nutrition Sciences video on metabolic damage and how you can repair it. In a nut shell you want to add calories incredibly slowly. E.g. 5 g carb, and maybe 1g fat a week. and watch the scale consistently to get your metabolism out of its repressed state. He explains it better than I do. This could take anywhere form your entire diet period to 1 year and a half.

here's the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

EDIT: you cannot repair your metabolism while still lose weight. The two processes contrast each other. Hence the long term picture is important in this instance.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    My thought is.....when you lose weight..then regain within a year...it is harder to lose as easily when you try to lose it again.. It will just take more effort. It is discouraging. The same thing happened to me..and I am still trying to get back to it...and restarted today after trying since the first of the year. I'm hoping now... that enough time has gone by that losing will be easier.
  • mcriley9906
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm in the same boat.. kind of. I have thyroid disease. Had mine removed when i was 19. only have about 10% left, it's hard. I get so stressed out over it. found I need to be more careful about what i eat. You may want to watch things other then just the calories, sugar sodium things like that can cause you to not loose. Be ware of diet foods. they are not all good for you. they may be low in calories but high in other things. good luck and please let me know how it goes. i'm just starting again. as i gave up before. hoping it is different this time.
  • billiejohammell
    Options
    I too was continuing to gain weight while trying to loose. I consume less than 1000 calories on most days; however I continued to maintain my weight or gain based on my activities. In the last week I have given up my evening wine and have begun the weight loss again. I have lost a total of 8.4 pounds in three weeks. I am feeling great, as long as I have my Mountain Dew Kickstarts.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't change much over the course of your life unless you've had some drastic illness or hormonal issue. Most likely you're eating more than you think, the wine isn't helping and you can't count on exercise for weight loss. Really start tracking everything you eat and don't eat exercise back.
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is 80% exercise 20% of losing weight - I have been exercising like crazy for the past 90 days - I have dropped 10 pounds but I am in a standstill now - This week I am not going to concentrate on exercise as much as I do diet - the wine will hinder your weight loss too - I know I love wine!! But I am having to cut back - I am cutting my carbs drastically this week to see if that makes my scale move - I have done research on what is called carb night - I will let you know how it goes - I am starting a 60 day challenge group for May that will help keep you accountable for eating and fitness if you want to join I can send you details.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'd put good money on the weekend thing. If you eat close to your goal during the week and then go way over on the weekend (which is very easy to do), then you're probably over your weekly goal. Track your weekends.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't change much over the course of your life unless you've had some drastic illness or hormonal issue. Most likely you're eating more than you think, the wine isn't helping and you can't count on exercise for weight loss. Really start tracking everything you eat and don't eat exercise back.

Sorry but it does. Everyone who has dieted for long periods of time will tell you that your metabolism slows down. Fluctuation in your metabolic capacity is determined by numerous factors: one being muscle mass. The worst thing someone who is metabolically damaged could do is continue dieting. They need to stop competing or stop trying to lose weight and take time to recover. The recovery time takes almost as long as the diet period.
  • BBruins12
    BBruins12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew Kickstart isgoing to be the death of me...
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Sorry but it does. Everyone who has dieted for long periods of time will tell you that your metabolism slows down. Fluctuation in your metabolic capacity is determined by numerous factors: one being muscle mass. The worst thing someone who is metabolically damaged could do is continue dieting. They need to stop competing or stop trying to lose weight and take time to recover. The recovery time takes almost as long as the diet period.

I disagree. The word "metabolism" gets thrown around so much that it's meaning becomes confusing. Metabolism is based on the amount of mass one has to maintain and activity level.. The mass can either be lots of fat or lots of muscle. This is why a very large obese person can have a high maintenance. The poster that you disagree with is using the word metabolism in relation to the bodies ability to create ATP through either aerobic respiration or anerobic respiration. The only time that these metabolic processes are disrupted is when someone has a disease such as diabetes. You however seem to be referencing metabolism to the amount of muscle one has, which nothing is wrong with that, but just not the same thing the poster was talking about.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest watching Dr. Layne Norton PHD Nutrition Sciences video on metabolic damage and how you can repair it. In a nut shell you want to add calories incredibly slowly. E.g. 5 g carb, and maybe 1g fat a week. and watch the scale consistently to get your metabolism out of its repressed state. He explains it better than I do. This could take anywhere form your entire diet period to 1 year and a half.

here's the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

EDIT: you cannot repair your metabolism while still lose weight. The two processes contrast each other. Hence the long term picture is important in this instance.

I just wanted to say that the good Dr. Norton starts out by saying that there is no science to back up what he is about to say. What he is referencing to are body builders that are most likely over exercising to the point that they are losing muscle mass instead of faat.