TRAINING FOR FIRST 5K HELP/TImes...

Options
First off let me start I AM NOT A RUNNER! lol I haven't ran since high school 18 years ago. I just had my 5th baby and i want to sign up for my first 5k in Feb 2014 for the Disney Mickey and Minnie Family 5k. I'm going to run it with my kids. Today i completed my first day and my first mile( non stop jogging) and came in at 10:47. I know i have a long way to go to get to a 5k but i was wondering what was your times for your first 5k and if you have any training advice? I'm just looking to make a realistic goal for what i want to be able to complete the 5k in and looking for an average. Thanks!!

Replies

• shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow! First of all, it is great that you can already run a mile without stopping and at that time. Most people who run a 5k for the first time must build up slower than that...or at least I did. :)

I recently ran my first one and came in at around 32 minutes. I had injured myself three weeks early so I had to take some time off before the race. You sound like you are in much better cardiovascular shape than I was when I began. Have you thought of running a 5k sooner?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You'll get widely varying answers. Really, whatever time you run it in is great. I think 30 minutes is about average. I ran my first in about 23 minutes, but that was after years of distance running. A sub 20 will get you onto the podium in your age group in local races. World records are around 14 minutes for women. A lot of people with walk, or run/walk a 5k, so there will often be times over an hour.

Its best not to compete against others your first time out...just go, have fun, set a time, and then if you want to do it again, try to beat yourself.
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow! First of all, it is great that you can already run a mile without stopping and at that time. Most people who run a 5k for the first time must build up slower than that...or at least I did. :)

I recently ran my first one and came in at around 32 minutes. I had injured myself three weeks early so I had to take some time off before the race. You sound like you are in much better cardiovascular shape than I was when I began. Have you thought of running a 5k sooner?

LOL thanks! i thought i was going to die after that first mile the first day. I have never been a distance runner! :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Look into the C25K program. I'm into week 6 ans I can now run around 4K. It's great!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to build up to it gradually. Look at Couch 2 5K, or if that seems too slow/gradual for you, check out Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon. I haven't run a race yet, but I have run 3.1 miles once in 33 minutes, around a 10:30 average, I believe. My goal is to come in under 35 minutes at my first race. I ran 2.25 miles on Saturday, and my split time was 10:13 which thrilled me. I am definitely a bit faster outside (which I can only do once a week) than on the treadmill due to being able to just set the treadmill and cruise along. You definitely have plenty of time to build up to a 5K. I would highly suggest getting endurance first, speed second. Part of the reason I've burned out on C25K in the fast, is I would set the treadmill at a 10 minute mile and my body wasn't ready for it, so I quit running. One day, I decided running a mile would be a good way to warm my body up before my upper body strength workouts. So, I built up to it, and after that, I decided to use a local race's training plan to get to a 5K. once I let go of having to be the fastest, I was doing better. Also, do not be afraid to take walk breaks. You can even plan them in like, run a mile, walk a minute. It really helps you to keep your pace up, at least for me, weird as that seems. I would love to run in a Disney Race! You and your kids will have a blast.
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    Look into the C25K program. I'm into week 6 ans I can now run around 4K. It's great!

I just down loaded it onto my phone!!! :) Where you a runner to begin with??
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    My advice would be to build up to it gradually. Look at Couch 2 5K, or if that seems too slow/gradual for you, check out Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon. I haven't run a race yet, but I have run 3.1 miles once in 33 minutes, around a 10:30 average, I believe. My goal is to come in under 35 minutes at my first race. I ran 2.25 miles on Saturday, and my split time was 10:13 which thrilled me. I am definitely a bit faster outside (which I can only do once a week) than on the treadmill due to being able to just set the treadmill and cruise along. You definitely have plenty of time to build up to a 5K. I would highly suggest getting endurance first, speed second. Part of the reason I've burned out on C25K in the fast, is I would set the treadmill at a 10 minute mile and my body wasn't ready for it, so I quit running. One day, I decided running a mile would be a good way to warm my body up before my upper body strength workouts. So, I built up to it, and after that, I decided to use a local race's training plan to get to a 5K. once I let go of having to be the fastest, I was doing better. Also, do not be afraid to take walk breaks. You can even plan them in like, run a mile, walk a minute. It really helps you to keep your pace up, at least for me, weird as that seems. I would love to run in a Disney Race! You and your kids will have a blast.

Thank you for all your advice!!! :) I can't wait for Disney! I'm going in Dec as well so i can kinda check out the course. it's through epcot! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't even worry about times for your first 5K, concentrate on getting round at a pace that suits you. You're guaranteed a Personal Best (PB) after all! That will gives you a super base for all your future races (because you'll want to enter another one half an hour after you're over the finish line!)

Mass-entry races will have people finishing in anything from 15 minutes to 50. If you must set yourself a time goal, 35 would suit your pace. Many speedy runners sneer at anything under 10-minute miling, but after 15 years of trying that's still beyond me!

Good luck, and be sure po come back and let us know how you're progressing. In case they help, here are my beginner's running tips and an article I wrote on why speed doesn't matter:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Not at all!!! Always wanted to run, but I've never been able too! Now I really feel like I may get there! :) Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You went out and just ran a mile in 10:47? Just like that? Are you bionic or some sort of secret robot?

I used C 25k, I could barely run 60 seconds.

Are you going to run with a jogging stroller? That will add some time to your run, but make you more hard core looking.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Agree with not worrying about time and to build yourself up gradually. C25K is awesome. Started last yr never running, did the program then B210K then ran my first 1/2 Marathon. My first 5K came in at 30:19 mins but recently just did a 5K in 28 mins. Wanting to get a sub 27min soon. You are doing great, just build up slowly.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My first was 32:45, and this I did as a fairly new runner at 44! I also followed the C25K plan.

As others have said, don't worry about time, just focus on proper training and getting your time in. If speed becomes a priority to you in the future, you can always train for that accordingly.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    You went out and just ran a mile in 10:47? Just like that? Are you bionic or some sort of secret robot?

For real! Give yourself more credit, hun! You're doing better than a TON of people already. :smile:
    In case they help, here are my beginner's running tips and an article I wrote on why speed doesn't matter:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Thank you for this! I want to be a runner. I'm on Week 2 of the c25k, and plan to eventually work my way up to a half marathon within the next few years. Your tips will help me not give up!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Finished a 5K yesterday. Came in at 24:22 which is a personal best. My goal it to break 24 mins for my next one. My long term goal is to be sub 20 minutes.

You might surprise yourself in your first 5K. Running in a race with other people helps mentally as you try to keep up with the pace and the adrenaline kicks in from all the excitement.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My first 5k time was 29 minutes. I was in the Army, I was 18 and it was 1984. It kicked off a lifelong love for running. My advice is to be consistent, invest in some properly fitted running shoes, keep a log of mileage. I use RunningAHEAD.com. Above all, have fun!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a race yet, but the first time I ran 5k it took me 41 minutes. The word on the street is that the adrenaline and other runners during a race will help me run faster, I sure hope so! My running buddy is a lot faster than me and ran her first 5k race in 34 minutes. It really all depends, but finishing at any time is a great accomplishment.

It's really great that you can run a mile, and that you did it in 11 minutes, but I'd worry about injuries starting of so far and so fast. Your muscles and lungs can handle it, obviously, but if you've been sedentary for a long time your tendons and ligaments might not be up for the task. Just a voice of experience from someone who's suffered more than one overuse injury from going too far too fast. After all your moving parts are used to running you can start pushing yourself more.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people's times are! You are out there DOING IT! That is all that matters :)

I highly recommend the C25K program! I was never a runner, never thought I had it in my DNA...I started the program last summer at 40 years old and a smoker! In a few months, I was able to run a 5K!! no one is more surprised at that than I am! Even more surprising is that I LOVE it!

Now I am 3 and a half months smoke free, and since the weather is nicer, I am working on the bridge to 10k program....I have found that running does so much more for me than I thought it would. It is my time for me, and I think I get out there more for the mental benefits than the physical....I feel amazing after a run!

Google proper running form and breathing. It really helped me and I've been completely injury free!

I am trying to figure out a way to get my 8 year old daughter into running so as she gets older, it can be something we do together. Congrats!!
  • JENNIENS
    Options

Are you going to run with a jogging stroller? That will add some time to your run, but make you more hard core looking.

No i'm not going to run with the stroller. Disney doesn't allow running with stroller you have to walk... my husband will be doing that with our 3 little ones. We have 5 kids all together! :)
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    Finished a 5K yesterday. Came in at 24:22 which is a personal best. My goal it to break 24 mins for my next one. My long term goal is to be sub 20 minutes.

You might surprise yourself in your first 5K. Running in a race with other people helps mentally as you try to keep up with the pace and the adrenaline kicks in from all the excitement.

Thanks and CONGRATS, that's awesome!
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    I haven't done a race yet, but the first time I ran 5k it took me 41 minutes. The word on the street is that the adrenaline and other runners during a race will help me run faster, I sure hope so! My running buddy is a lot faster than me and ran her first 5k race in 34 minutes. It really all depends, but finishing at any time is a great accomplishment.

It's really great that you can run a mile, and that you did it in 11 minutes, but I'd worry about injuries starting of so far and so fast. Your muscles and lungs can handle it, obviously, but if you've been sedentary for a long time your tendons and ligaments might not be up for the task. Just a voice of experience from someone who's suffered more than one overuse injury from going too far too fast. After all your moving parts are used to running you can start pushing yourself more.

Very good points, thanks! I want to walk a 5k using my gps on my phone so i know exactly how far a 5k is in perspective. Then I'm going to try that c25k