Greek Yogurt Alternatives

Options
pdworkman
pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
I see lots of recommendations here for Greek yogurt. For those of us who are dairy-free or vegan, consider dessert tofu as an alternative.

(I know there are lots of soy yogurts, and some rice or coconut alternatives now as well, but all the ones available to me are thickened or sweetened with grains, so I can't have them.)

Greek yogurt - 1 serving - 270 cal, 6 g protein
Dessert tofu - 1 serving - 90 cal, 5 g protein

With the low calorie count, you can add a good amount of fruit or nuts to dress it up, or have two or three servings instead of one.

Pam

Replies

• hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    Options
    I am intrigued by the low calorie count, tell me more... where do you find it, can you add flavoring or sweetners?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen dessert tofu around here, I would give it a try, however, my greek yogurt comes in at 140 calories, 0 grams of fat and 18 grams of protein for the 0% stuff.
    The full fat stuff is higher in fat and cals, but same protein.
  • hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    Options
    I love the Fage 0% just wish it was a little less pricey!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I find it at my grocery store. Dessert tofu is flavoured and sweetened already. And comes in single serving containers. If you wanted to make it yourself with your own flavourings and sweeteners, you would just start with a soft tofu or silken tofu and whiz it in the blender.

Pam
    I am intrigued by the low calorie count, tell me more... where do you find it, can you add flavoring or sweetners?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think the OP confused Greek yogurt with regular yogurt. Ive never seen Greek yogurt with less than 14 grams of protein per serving.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I love my soy yoghurt! Didn't think it had any grain additives, but I'll check the ingredients.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has like 20++ grams of protein in 8 oz!!. And if you buy 0% fat, it's more like 100 calories and same amount of protein. There is no (comparable) alternative, IMO.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    While I do like tofu, I prefer it in 'as-is' condition in my asian dishes....

I love my Chobani - 18g of protein in the whole 6oz container...

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-yogurts-greek-no-fat-plain_f-ZmlkPTE2OTM1MQ.html
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think the OP confused Greek yogurt with regular yogurt. Ive never seen Greek yogurt with less than 14 grams of protein per serving.

^ this and it has way less calories than what the OP said
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Interesting THANKS. I will have to look for dessert tofu I haven't seen it before either. Funny how everyone threw the very non-vegan stuff back at you. People just don't understand. Its my goal this year to come off so many animal products. I'd be vegan easy if I didn't live with and cook for an omni. But cooking for both situations proved to be way over the budget for food.

Yes the Greek Gods has less than 14 grams a serving and more calories it can very well rack up to 270 on a serving. I don't know what the big difference is. HOw can some brands have 20 and others 6. I don't get it at all I'd think greek yogurt is greek yogurt. I would see if it was because of sweeteners and such reducing the total but even the Greek Gods plain has the same from what I remember. Still defeats the purpose the OP wanted to share the DAIRY FREE VEGAN option not TELL you to switch. Any yogurt can be strained with cheese cloth to become "greek" yogurt.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    My Greek yogurt weighs in at around 110 cals per serving. But I must admit, I am curious about this "dessert tofu" of which you speak. Where can I find it?
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Ah, question answered. Thanks! :D
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Interesting THANKS. I will have to look for dessert tofu I haven't seen it before either. Funny how everyone threw the very non-vegan stuff back at you. People just don't understand. Its my goal this year to come off so many animal products. I'd be vegan easy if I didn't live with and cook for an omni. But cooking for both situations proved to be way over the budget for food.

Well, I can definitely tell you, I was not doing this at all....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Uh, no, I was not throwing it back at her, but thanks. If you re-read my post I specifically said I would try it if I could find it. I did go on to point out that the info she had for the greek yogurt is incorrect. I think it is only fair to point that out since she was offering a comparasion. I eat greek yogurt for the protein. If I was looking at an alternative, i would like to know how much of a difference I am looking at to eat to make it compare.
    FYI - I was vegetarian for awhile. I had to stop for my own reasons, but yeah, I do understand.

ETA - the difference in calories is based on the milk fat used. 0% milk fat has lower fat and calories than the stuff that uses full fat goats milk.
    Many types of prepared food vary in nutritional content, that is not unusual.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!