Weight Loss Protein

Options
Hey everyone,
I am brand new to myfitnesspal and am trying to get started. The main thing that I need to change after reading a couple of great forum topics on calorie intake is how much I eat. I always thought that just eating less would speed up weight loss and now I think I eat too little for my size. I am 22 years old, 5'5", and 258 lbs.
With this in mind, I have a tough time eating breakfast. It is just something I have never done much, and I know I should. With having to get up early and get to work quick, I don't have much time. I figured making a morning shake would be something I could do the night before and just take and go. I'm not sure what types of protein powders are out there. Are there some centered on weight loss and not bulking up? If so does anyone have any brands or flavors they particularly like? Also, if I wanted to shop around, what should I look for? What makes a protein powder focused on weight loss. The last thing I want to do is gain weight because I bought the wrong type of powder.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm still trying to navigate.

Thanks!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid you have a fundamental misunderstanding when it comes to weight loss and nutrition.

If you aren't getting enough protein, just look for one that fits your calorie goals.

I like Optimum Nutrition's stuff. Dymatize is also popular.
  • Titus05
    Titus05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on my misunderstanding?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    seems a lot of people just buy what everyone else does and one particular favourite on here contains .. 24g protein and 120 cals per serving ..

sounds fantastic ,great packaging , high price etc.. BUT

if you look around you can find .. 45g protein 100 cals per serving same price and is obviously are far better product to be using with twice the protein and less cals - just use half a serving if you want a paltry 24g per serving !!!!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein powder, I'm good with 50 - 80 protein from food.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

excess caloric intake creates weight gain, not protein intake.

all protein powder is, is protein (plus some carbs etc.).

i've tried quite a few, i really enjoy optimum nutrition in double chocolate. it's more expensive than box store powders but is worth it. i am very picky about flavors, fake sweeteners, weird textures and ON knocks it out of the park. two thumbs up recommendation!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I think they mean that there is no such thing as a protein that will 'help' weight loss as such. You can get ones that have LOWER calories - as we are (generally) trying to have lower calories with weight loss. I don't know about your intake, but you say it is low already?

I personally have a protein powder that is about 78cals and 15g of protein which is good and I use it as a snack replacement, mixed with soymilk or normal milk, sometimes some fruit or chia seeds too :)

I would NOT recommend mixing the night before. I think it might not last well like that... mixing a protein shake takes about 20 seconds though haha so don't worry :) I think it is honestly not THAT hard to put aside an extra 5 mins to make breakfast, is it? People always go on about how it's too hard but I put on the stove and pop an egg on to cook, run and have a quick shower, come back and my egg is ready and waiting for me! Rice is set the night before to be cooked in the morning so it's ready and waiting too. No brainer.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    if you use protein powder and remain within your calorie goal, in theory you should be losing fat while retaining muscle, which is the purpose of protein - preserving/building muscle. But the only way you could 'bulk up' would be if you were in a calorie surplus - it takes around 3500 calorie burn to lose a lb of fat, and i believe about the same in over consumption to gain a lb of muscle.

hope this helps!
  • ohgibbs
    ohgibbs Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on making the step toward losing weight. Protein is a very important part of your diet & though the FDA recommended amount is somewhere around 50g of protein, I have found that upping mine to 80-100 g has been better. It keeps me feeling full longer & as I work out, my body has protein to utilize in making new muscle & preserving the muscle I have.
    If you are looking for a shake, make sure it's a complete meal - mine is about 270 cal with 24 g of protein. I use the Isagenix and they make it clear that you should drink it within 30 min of making it because of the digestive enzymes in the shake. It's definitely not one to make the night before.
    I have lost a total of 30 pounds and almost 40". I've been working on it since last July, & I have been able to maintain my new weight for almost 6 months. Good luck in your endeavor!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast (or first thing in the morning) to lose weight. When you eat doesn't make much impact on weight loss. It's about eating less than you burn. If you're not comfortable eating breakfast, then don't force yourself.

I'm not much for breakfast (as in a proper meal), but I do drink a Carnation breakfast shake.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    seems a lot of people just buy what everyone else does and one particular favourite on here contains .. 24g protein and 120 cals per serving ..

if you look around you can find .. 45g protein 100 cals per serving same price and is obviously are far better product to be using with twice the protein and less cals - just use half a serving if you want a paltry 24g per serving !!!!!

Just to clarify for the OP "45g protein 100 cals per serving" is not possible, considering each gram of protein provides 4 calories. There are 4 cals per gram protein, 4 cals per gram of carbohydrate, and 9 cals per gram of fat.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    if you use protein powder and remain within your calorie goal, in theory you should be losing fat while retaining muscle, which is the purpose of protein - preserving/building muscle. But the only way you could 'bulk up' would be if you were in a calorie surplus - it takes around 3500 calorie burn to lose a lb of fat, and i believe about the same in over consumption to gain a lb of muscle.

hope this helps!

you can of course get protein from GOOD sources as well, and make slow muscle gain whilst losing fat - as I have. I have definitely gained muscle in the past few months because I am losing weight slowly (1kg/month, about 2lb/month) and working on lots of strength training.

Tailor a plan to your goals and don't be afraid to ask many questions. Unless you're lifting, protein shakes aren't so necessary - you're much better off making sure you get a good amount, say 100g, of protein a day from lean sources such as chicken, eggs, and fish and filling any gaps with a protein shake.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'll make it simple.

Eating less calories than you need (calorie deficit) to maintain your current weight (TDEE) results in fat loss.

Protein = helps preserve your existing muscle mass so most of the weight you lose comes from fat (so you end up looking smexy and awesome naked). It also keep you full. Eat a lot of it.
    Fat = helps with hormonal function and makes your food more palatable (deliciousness) Eat in reasonable amounts.
    Carbs = the wild card and how much you need will be a personal thing for you. Leafy vegetables are great for keeping your full as you can eat a lot of for little calories. Other sources of carbs are good for immediate energy and especially if you are exercising.

Everything else is just details.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any and all protein powders will help fill your macros regardless of your goals. The ones specifically designed for bulking/mass gain have like 600 calories per serving, and you'll know them when you see them after reading the nutrition label.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Protein doesn't inherently make you big/bulky, that comes from various other things (eating at a surplus, with enough protein + lifting).
    Back to your OP, I've messed around with a ton of different products and ultimately love SmartPowders (it's the off label brand of Scivation). It's a little more expensive then it used to be, but it's still some of the cheapest (in terms of price not quality) stuff around.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Two things. First, you don't have to eat breakfast. I'm down 17lbs in a month and a half and I rarely eat before I've been up for 4-6 hours. The only exception is if I work out in the mornings, then I eat something after the workout because you should eat something shortly after working out. Not eating a breakfast helps me stay under my calorie goals, and I have found that I don't mind being slightly hungry in the morning, it's being hungry after I start eating that can really throw me off track. I have breakfast between 10 and noon, usually closer to noon, lunch around 2 or 3, Supper usually six-ish and then a snack around 9 or 10. Keeps me under my calorie goals, and it's working for me. Look up intermediate fasting, it's sort of like what I am doing and it works for a lot of people.

The second thing is, no protein shake is going to "help with weight loss" or cause you to "bulk up". Just eating protein doesn't make you bulk up, a combination of eating more calories than your body needs, getting enough protein, picking up heavy things and putting them back down and genetics does that. No protein powder helps with weight loss either, weight loss is a function of eating fewer calories than you consume. High-protein diets tend to leave you feeling fuller longer, which has the side effect of you eating less throughout the day since you aren't feeling hungry, but they don't by themselves help with weight loss.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I had some of the same questions as the op , and they have all been answered now..just wanted to say thanks! I'm not good at expressing myself through writing so never made a post about it, plus I've read some that just turn into a bash fest ,saying how you should just eat beans or chicken and never use a powder,etc..
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Just to clarify for the OP "45g protein 100 cals per serving" is not possible, considering each gram of protein provides 4 calories. There are 4 cals per gram protein, 4 cals per gram of carbohydrate, and 9 cals per gram of fat.

Appologies you are correct and i forgot i m using the " half serving" 3 times a day with raw egg ...
  • jjkarnitz
    jjkarnitz Posts: 55
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to be healthier! I highly recommend smoothies/shakes as a way to improve your diet. But protein is just part of the equation. Can you buy/do you have a good blender like a Ninja? I like to put some frozen fruit, frozen spinach, ground flaxseed, and unsweeetened pea protein powder together for a smoothie. This will take me much farther than just protein powder alone. If you come up with the right kind of smoothie for your needs you can have the ingredients ready in the fridge the night before and then all you have to do is blend when you get up. I usually put mine in a travel cup so I can drink on my one hour commute.
    I also make a post-workout shake which consists of pea protein powder, crystal light and a powdered multi vitamin. I don't always use crystal light but the pea protein powder on its own is not very good. Anyway, my stomach tolerates the pea protein better than other types of protein powder.
    Hope this helps. Smoothies have been a huge part of my success in the last four months. I have one or two per day.
  • randilious
    Options
    Stick to a Whey protein, they are generally around 20-25 grams of protein for about 100-150 calories. The protein powders you are afraid of, are generally called out as weight gainers. They are generally 50+ grams of protein and aroud 400-500 calories. Read the labels and track your calories, and you will do just fine!!!
  • Titus05
    Titus05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! After reading some more, I think I will combine most opinions. I will try to get up and make breakfast when I can, but substitute a low calorie powder for the mornings I don't. I will look into some of the brands given. Thanks again.