Not losing weight

Options
Hi there. I'm just trying to lose half a stone I've been carrying since before Christmas. I have done in the past, and it's worked, a detox with mainly fruit and veg so I did that for two weeks exercising every day. No milk, tea, coffee and very little else. I lost nothing, not a pound. Very soul destroying. Do you think it could be the protein shakes? I had really bad headaches and exercised pretty hard with weights. Usually I would have lost at least 3 - 4lbs on just vegetables. I'm not sure if my body just went into starvation mode. Any ideas?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a slight (250cals off TDEE) deficit, regular exercise and a balanced diet (not just veg and protein shakes) are all you need.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing this since late December or early January? And your weight has remained constant during that time? How many calories per day have you been eating?
  • SKIMOBOB
    SKIMOBOB Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there.

I've only just started (three weeks ago) and can usually lose weight quite easily when I put my mind to it. I don't understand why it hasn't worked and the only different thing was the protein shakes. I have had a week now of not dieting and will crack on again this week. However, I was very fed up as I worked hard. I was only eating fruit and vegetables. No dairy, milk, anything. I had a bit of fish and pork over the first weekend. Excercise included daily running, stepper and weights.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

I've only just started (three weeks ago) and can usually lose weight quite easily when I put my mind to it. I don't understand why it hasn't worked and the only different thing was the protein shakes. I have had a week now of not dieting and will crack on again this week. However, I was very fed up as I worked hard. I was only eating fruit and vegetables. No dairy, milk, anything. I had a bit of fish and pork over the first weekend. Excercise included daily running, stepper and weights.

Fruit and vegetables have calories, and calories are what causes us to lose or gain fat. Without knowing how many calories per day (on average if it wasn't consistent) you were consuming and for how long, it's hard to answer your original questions. One doesn't go into "starvation mode" quickly, but eating too low for an extended period of time can slow your BMR and lower the amount you can eat and still maintain a deficit.
  • SKIMOBOB
    SKIMOBOB Posts: 5
    Options
    So that means I am then eating alot of calories? That can't be right surely? I am 5ft 6 and weight 10 1/2 stone. I just want to lose the half a stone.