TRAINING FOR FIRST 5K HELP/TImes...

Options
2»

Replies

• JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people's times are! You are out there DOING IT! That is all that matters :)

I highly recommend the C25K program! I was never a runner, never thought I had it in my DNA...I started the program last summer at 40 years old and a smoker! In a few months, I was able to run a 5K!! no one is more surprised at that than I am! Even more surprising is that I LOVE it!

Now I am 3 and a half months smoke free, and since the weather is nicer, I am working on the bridge to 10k program....I have found that running does so much more for me than I thought it would. It is my time for me, and I think I get out there more for the mental benefits than the physical....I feel amazing after a run!

Google proper running form and breathing. It really helped me and I've been completely injury free!

I am trying to figure out a way to get my 8 year old daughter into running so as she gets older, it can be something we do together. Congrats!!

OMG GREAT TIP to know.... breathing. I don't think i was breathing like i should be when i was running the mile! I will look into that!!!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I am trying to figure out a way to get my 8 year old daughter into running so as she gets older, it can be something we do together. Congrats!!

I have an 8 year old daughter as well, who not only dislikes running, but has a very....awkward gait, shall we say? :ohwell: I also have a 6 year old daughter that runs like she was born to be a marathoner. Our local running store sponsors different programs throughout the year, one of which is for kids. We're planning to register them both for the summer program. One night per week (an hour long), trains them to be able to run a mile after 10 weeks. They play a lot of tag and other running games during the hour they are there. You might want to see if you have something like that available in your area as well!

I personally am only in my 2nd week of C25K, so my first 5k is still a few months out there. Too far to be thinking about right now!
  • ikez78
    ikez78 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! This is Mark Eichenlaub from TeachtoRun.com. I am a USATF coach and have worked with hundreds of runners to run their first 5k under 30 minutes. I took TONS of notes and came up with this plan that is money-back guaranteed and has had amazing success. Please check it out: http://teachtorun.com/training-plans/
    or just come check out the site and join our free newsletter for tons of running tips.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was a couple months after I gave birth to my son. My sister was doing a school fundraiser, called me sounding desperate, and asked if I would show up on Saturday for her school's 5k. She said I could walk, crawl or whatever.

Well! My sister needed me, and I needed to get into shape. I knew that I could walk a decent pace all day long but had never run much in my life. This could be interesting! I showed up early and ready to go.

I was the last one in. 58 minutes and change. I managed short sprints along the way but walked for the most part. I was sweaty and dusty (did I mention it was off-road?) and hurt. So why did I ever do it again?

Because as I came in to the finish everyone stopped what they were doing and cheered. The school's track coach pointed out that I had just lapped everyone still lying in bed that Saturday morning. I felt freaking GREAT after I'd had some water and a sit down.

I have since down a few more 5ks, though only recently have I gotten to a point where I can run straight through; I was usually doing a walk-run. I do 5k on the treadmill at least once a week and FINALLY can run through, at an 11 minute mile.

Part of all this was a wounded meniscus in my knee, which really would slow down about anyone. But no matter my time, I've always told myself that I'm lapping people on the couch, or in bed, or at home watching HBO. My next official 5k is on August 3, and my only real goal is to do it under 35 minutes.
  • 4987hamm
    4987hamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You'll get widely varying answers. Really, whatever time you run it in is great. I think 30 minutes is about average. I ran my first in about 23 minutes, but that was after years of distance running. A sub 20 will get you onto the podium in your age group in local races. World records are around 14 minutes for women. A lot of people with walk, or run/walk a 5k, so there will often be times over an hour.

Its best not to compete against others your first time out...just go, have fun, set a time, and then if you want to do it again, try to beat yourself.

THIS. Ran my first 5k today. I got my time and now that's what I have to beat. Challenge yourself against yourself only. Don't compare to others. You do YOUR best and then push further.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You'll get widely varying answers. Really, whatever time you run it in is great. I think 30 minutes is about average. I ran my first in about 23 minutes, but that was after years of distance running. A sub 20 will get you onto the podium in your age group in local races. World records are around 14 minutes for women. A lot of people with walk, or run/walk a 5k, so there will often be times over an hour.

Its best not to compete against others your first time out...just go, have fun, set a time, and then if you want to do it again, try to beat yourself.

Pretty much agree. You'll have people still crossing the line 45-60 minutes in.

I have to disagree that "a sub 20 will get you on the podium in local races" I would say in some of the smaller local races, but not all. Where I grew up, if you weren't sub 17:00, you weren't placing.