overweight and jogging - question

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    * invest in a good pair of running shoes ( go to a specialty running shoes store)

I think this varies individual to individual. Doing precisely this had me using expensive pairs of Brooks shoes and paying for even more expensive trips to the physical therapist.

When I switched to a more minimalist shoe style and took off those foot coffins... I stopped getting hurt. So this, in my mind, is going to be trial and error.
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Excellent information shared. I am also doing the C25k app and it gets easier after the first week and I can run longer each stint AND get my breath back faster! Will look into running shoes as my knees are the same thing. Nothing more than a day or so after though which is good. I look forward to seeing more tips as I really do love running/jogging!!!!!!!!
  • sdmenke
    sdmenke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water! When you feel bloated, drink more water.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of studies that say you shouldn't stretch before running, just do a warm-up walk (which I know is included in the c25k program), but you should DEFINITELY stretch after.

This! Stretching before exercise doesn't do anything for you. Quite the opposite--it weakens muscles.

In addition to focusing on good form, aim for maximum steps per minute--the more steps you make, the lighter they are and the less stress is on your body. Also, make sure to take a rest day where you do not do any high-impact exercise; your body needs time to rebuild.

Do you do any strength training for your legs? Strong quads and calves are important for running.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don'tthink my shoes are tthe problem, they are brand new and feel fantastic! I will definitely look into the posture and stretching!

You would be amazed at how your shoes can cause all of those issues even if they feel great... remember, everything is connected to our feet in some way. The evaluation is free...I suggest you get one and bring them the shoes you wear to compare to the results just to see what they professionals say.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Every pound of your weight is 7 pounds on your knees so that's a lot of impact when you're running (even for a fit person).

My doctor told me (I'm 50) that at my age and weight (175 @ 5'5") she would prefer I not run, but if I do C25K to spend more than one week on each step of the program to avoid injury. I did injure myself in the beginning and switched to doing the same program on the elliptical machine (my 'walk' pace was 130 strides per minute and my 'run' pace was 165-170). I was able to advance through the program weekly instead of having to slow it down and the impact was much lighter on my knees. I finished last week and started running again this week. I'm going to take my time this time and listen to my body!

Investing in a good pair of running shoes, stretching and the other advice given here is good too, I would just caution you to think about switching to the elliptical to help with the knee issues.

Good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Have you done any strengthening exercises or workouts for calf/legs?

ABS.

Always be squatting.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your motivation is to run. If it's to lose weight, walking can be just as effective and lower impact. You may want to stick with lower-impact activities until you lose a little more weight.
    If you just really love to run, take all of the precautions listed above and take it slow until your body adjusts to this new activity.
  • wussygirl
    wussygirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know you said you have new shoes and they feel great, but if something isn't the right type of running shoe, you will feel in in other places, not your feet. Incorrect running shoes for your gait show up in other places than your feet. I did my first half in a pair of shoes that caused me to supinate even more than I already did, and while my feet felt fine, I got a shin splint so bad that I could not run for another month after the race. So I know I am the tenth person to say this, but have a running store analyze your run and fit you correctly. You may find too after you lose even more weight, you need to go back and have them look again.
  • elemkc
    elemkc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    definitely what everyone else said....stretching, form, shoes. Don't feel like you NEED to run to lose weight. When I first started jogging, I think most people out there can walk faster. If running truly is your end goal though, just remember to take it slow, you will get a LOT faster once you start losing more and more weight. Keep going! You can definitely do it. As for the sweeling/achy feeling, have you tried taking a bath after? It's going to take a long time for your body to adjust but a hot bath always helps me when i switch up my exercise routines. Also remember lots and lots of water! Best wishes!!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Add exercises that strengthen all the muscles and ligaments that support your knees. And ditto to what everyone else is saying about shoes

This is excellent advice. I had chronic knee pain for years, but after a few weeks of working those muscles, it's gone.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree with much of the advice above:

First and foremost, good shoes that fit you, your feet, and your running style are key.
    For me, switching to a midfoot strike from a heel strike helped take the stress off of my knees. I ended up getting shoes that helped me learn to do this.
    You need to spend some time strengthening the muscles that support your knees. Yoga is a great way to do this.
    Icing after a run can help take down the swelling and ease the pain.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your journey!
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You know I've wondered about the benefits of running verses walking myself. I'm glad you brought this up. It seems like running is becoming the latest fad and I myself have gotten caught up in it myself. I've completed 2 5Ks within the last year and I have paid dearly with pain in my knee due to an ACL injury 20 years ago. I've have arthritis and kills me!
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your motivation is to run. If it's to lose weight, walking can be just as effective and lower impact. You may want to stick with lower-impact activities until you lose a little more weight.
    If you just really love to run, take all of the precautions listed above and take it slow until your body adjusts to this new activity.

Meant to quote this...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for 15 years, and overweight all that time! Some knee discomfort is normal as you're doing things to your joints they're not used to, but the body has an amazing adaptive mechanism. What I would say though is to make sure the aches and pains and any swelling is completely gone before your next session - don't try to "run it off." Rest, ice and ibuprofen if theyr'e hurty. Do take it gradually - repeat a week of C25K if you found it tough before progressing.

As others have said, do strength training and Google running form. I'm a big fan of mid-foot running - let your leg swing naturally forward and land directly under, not in front of, your body and you should have mid-foot, rather than high-impact heel, landing.

The shorthand way of thinking about it is run as quietly as you can, as if you don't want any pedestrians to hear you coming up behind them, and you're half-way there!

Here are my beginner's running tips, some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the c25k about 6 weeks ago. I got into the third week and hit a wall. I messes my knees up so bad I had to quit all together. I ended up feeling 100 years old. Sorry to say I quit completely and have no plans to try again.
    I found out if I had a choice to jog or be heavy and have my knee health I will have to choose my knee health. Which I know sounds odd but its true. I will have to lose the weight another way. Jogging is totally out for me. THe pain was not worth it.
    I hope you are able to get through it without any damage to your knees. Some seem to.

good luck
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options

The shorthand way of thinking about it is run as quietly as you can, as if you don't want any pedestrians to hear you coming up behind them, and you're half-way there!

LOL people always hear me coming from the wheezing and gasping sounds. Luckily, I listen to music while running, so I don't have to hear it :)
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    * invest in a good pair of running shoes ( go to a specialty running shoes store)

I think this varies individual to individual. Doing precisely this had me using expensive pairs of Brooks shoes and paying for even more expensive trips to the physical therapist.

When I switched to a more minimalist shoe style and took off those foot coffins... I stopped getting hurt. So this, in my mind, is going to be trial and error.

Just because you have a good pair of shoes does not mean it is a good pair for you! A very common misconception I've heard is: "[insert shoe brand] makes shoes for people with high arches." Yes, they do, but they also make other types of shoes.

What I'm trying to get at is this: don't go solely by brand! Get fitted at a specialty running store. Make sure those good shoes you pay $110 for are the right shoes for your foot and body type!

Most shoe companies make changes to their shoes yearly. That's why you have the Pegasus 1, pegasus 1.3, pegasus 2, etc... so I would recommend you get re-fitted every time you get a new pair of shoes. The changes will make or break them for you.
  • RockerChic28
    Options
    I started training for mud runs last year while I was obese myself. Running shoes are essential. Also, don't push it. Sometimes I do sprints, sometimes I start low, go slow and work my way up to the jog. However you do it, remember straight back and push your shoulders back! I used to run forward (hunched forward too) and it was so bad and I ended up tearing my IT on the left side and having shooting shin splints in both legs. Now I run right before a hard workout and it has not made any problems for me. Remember this little trick: stick out your chest (ta-tas as I call them) and this will help your form.

I know this is off topic, but get a really good running bra too. It will change your life ;)

Good Luck girl!!!
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello! Congrats on starting the program! I was around 220lbs when I started jogging and ran my first half marathon at 200lbs so us big girls can certainly do it too! The stress on your knees is your body getting used to an exercise it hasn't had to deal with first. The inflammation is best reduced by icing! I work in a physical therapy clinic and we are very strong advocates for applying ice at 15 minute intervals. It's the most natural and most effective way to alleviate this. Listen to your body, too. If you start to hurt, or hear popping, take a rest. Consult an MD or therapist. You may need to work on form. But sounds like so far so good!

Also a note on shoes - I run barefoot and have been for a couple years now without issue.