Cracking joints!

Options
So I've suckered a few of the other ladies in my office into joining me in some squat challenges, etc. One of the girls (stats: 5'8, 130lbs, 24yrs old) seems to crack her joints constantly. Not purposefully, as in sitting there cracking knuckles, but as in every time she drops to squat, either her ankles or her knees will crack. It's not just once either, it's generally for at least the first ten, and then irregularly throughout.
Figured I would pose the question to all you lovely and knowledgeable MFPers, what would you advise in order to help with her musical joints? I was trying to google if there's something she should be eating/drinking more in order to improve, but got so much confusing information.
Is there something she can do to try and fix this, or should she just check in with a doctor?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Me knees make some noise when I squat. There's no pain or anything.

If there's no pain or grinding going on, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I prefer to crack beers.

Joints are better for rolling.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Me knees make some noise when I squat. There's no pain or anything.

If there's no pain or grinding going on, I wouldn't worry about it.

agreed.
    My knees are insanely loud when I'm squatting but I've been squatting for about 2.5 years with no injuries
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cracking joints if she isn't in pain. My ankle cracks constantly when I move it. My doctor has just said it's due to an old injury. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay so i'm a Knee Kracker, but mine is ALL THE TIME! She needs to see a doc and STOP the squat challenge until she does especially if it hurts even in the slightest in her knee! Sounds like she has some cartillage that is loose and that is most likely what is snapping and she could be causing more dammage. I have knees that sublicate and Osteoarthitis in my knees and i'm 30! i happens. I've already been told i need a knee replacement!

FORM ISN"T EVERYTHING EITHER! I've been told to be VERY careful with squats and lunges due to my knee issues.

Bottom line she should see someone to make sure that she doesn't have damage or is furthering any damage. Its not the same as kracking your knuckes, not my a long shot!
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    when i squat, my knees only "crack" if im doing them wrong, once i corrected my form my knee's are smooth as silk!

only a sugestion but could be the reason why her's are doing the same thing.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Sounds like she has some cartillage that is loose and that is most likely what is snapping and she could be causing more dammage.

I love internet doctors. They're able to diagnose any disorder by hearing about a single symptom.

Coincidentally, they always seem to diagnose in other people the exact same problem they've had themselves.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she has some cartillage that is loose and that is most likely what is snapping and she could be causing more dammage.

I love internet doctors. They're able to diagnose any disorder by hearing about a single symptom.

Coincidentally, they always seem to diagnose in other people the exact same problem they've had themselves.

No Diagnosis Johnny, its what it COULD BE and is a suggestion!!!!!! Not much else in your knee except cartillage, ligaments or Bone, pick one!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Not much else in your knee except cartillage, ligaments or Bone, pick one!

Yeah............

No.

There's a lot more in there :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Its called crepitus and it's nothing to worry about unless there's any pain, discomfort or swelling. Tell your friend to keep squatting!
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Make sure she is probably hydrated. I crack a lot more when I am not hydrated, just from stretching.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the feedback!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    If you find a solution, I'd like to know! I crack all over the place. Especially my ankles.
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine always crack. I'm 23 and they've been doing that since I can remember. As long as shes not in pain Im sure its fine. Some people just crack!! The only negative is that it freaks people out. (Though thats kind of funny..so a positive in my book.)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Mine do this also. Like, always. In fact my 5 year old daughter's do the same. Strange.
    I concur with others, if it isn't painful then no worries?
    Sometimes mine seem to be worse if I didn't warm up enough, but that could be in my head.
    I am in no shape or form any kind of a doctor, internet or real life, so I can only go by what I experience, and what is similar.
    That being she is a woman?

Hope she is doing them right?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Is it a single pop, like when you pop your knuckles? Or is it a crackling, grinding sound? If it is the latter, then she should probably check with a dr. I had 'rice krispies' in my knees when I was lifting heavy, doing a lot of squats, lunges, and extensions, and walked a lot of stairs on my job. I just laughed it off and pushed on. never felt any pain, until the day the pain became excruciating and I couldn't walk. Ended up with surgery to clean all the bone spurs off the back of my knee cap, and a lateral ligament removed.

NOT diagnosing anyone, just sharing my knee experience.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    No dietary supplement, food, drink or snake oil will have any effect on the knees. On the mind, quite possibly. But the knees, no.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    No dietary supplement, food, drink or snake oil will have any effect on the knees. On the mind, quite possibly. But the knees, no.

Actually, certain foods has been proven to be inflammatory for some people, so in those people, then a diet change can certainly help with arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. Knees included.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Actually, avoiding certain foods (usually dairy and carbs, but varies according to the particular viewpoint of the proponent) is completely different to saying consuming something specifically to reduce the action of the immune response. There is no foodstuff that is a magic rheumatoid arthritis pill.

The original studies never established whether the reported improvement from following a basic starvation diet was due to avoiding foods that were engendering an immune response, were placebo related, were as a result of entering ketosis, the esuing weight loss from cutting out almost every food in existence, or were due to the body releasing huge quantities of endorphins in an attempt to get the participant to go out and find some food, as is documented in famine or anorexia nervosa.

My rheumatologist was in the original study team. And I was one of the participants.

There is very little more irritating than being solemnly informed that what you need to do is have a spoonful of vinegar, become vegan, become vegetarian, avoid tomatoes, eat seaweed, go raw, become fruitarian or take magic pills which aren't even licensed and your immune system will instantly heal. Other than being told you'd be healed if you came to a particular church. That wins top prize for being annoying.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can only offer one case study--my own. My knees used to sound like Rice Krispies when I walking up stairs. Seriously, I could never sneak up on someone, it was incredibly loud! In addition to strength training, I started taking Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM which may help with joint lubrication and soft tissue repair. A couple of months into training and supplementation, my knees no longer cracked. Now, it is very possible that simply strengthening my leg muscles has provided a level of support that has changed the movement in my knee and the supplements have done nothing. I really don't care. I am strong, without pain, and without snap-crackle-pop!