Calorie confusion!!

Options
I've been looking on the internet everywhere but I could find the answer to my question so I figured I would ask you. If I an on a 1200 calorie plan and burn 500 calories do I add that to my 1,200 making it 1700? Will I still loss weight if I eat the 1700?

Replies

• pressleybby
    Options
    technically if you burned the 500 calories off by exersice ect. then you can eat the 500 hundred calories and still lose weight. you wouldnt look at it as you are eating 1700 cals because 500 you have burned off. so if you eat the 500 your cals would still total up to 1200. sorry i am rambling. do you get what im saying tho? once those cals are burned off they dont count anymore:) hope that helped
  • Sinda
    Sinda Posts: 13
    Options
    if you're on a 1200 calorie diet and burn 500 calories than that means you only consumed 700 calories. whatever you burn you're supposed to subtract it from what you ate.
  • whalertly
    whalertly Posts: 65
    Options
    It all depends on what your spending while doing nothing. Let's say that you burn 1200 naturally, if you exercise for 500, then your net is 500 off each day. If you burn more or less naturally, that changes it similarly
  • girlwillloselbs
    girlwillloselbs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You will lose more weight by not adding the 500 calories you are burning to your 1200 to make it 1700.
    What is the point in eating 1700 calories a day to get down to 1200 calories after workout when you know
    YOU can maintain a healthy diet of 1200 calories a day? Don't think of the 500 calories you are burning
    as bonus calories to add back in to your diet. By burning 500 calories a day from a 1200 calorie a day
    diet you are essential taking in 700 calories a day the healthy way. 1lb of fat= 3,500 calories. Shaving 3,500 calories a week from your diet equals losing 1lb a week. 7000 calories a week= 2lbs a week. By not adding in those 500 calories to your
    diet you will be saving yourself 1 lb a week (500 calories x 7 days a week = 3500 calories each week and remember 3500 calories equals 1 lb of fat. But do whatever makes you feel the best and most energetic you possible!
  • obifatkanobi
    obifatkanobi Posts: 190
    Options
    It should be added in if you enter your activities on the MFP site. Anyway, yes, if you burn 500 calories for the day on a 1200 calorie diet, you should try and consume 1700 calories for that day. I notice that I have trouble eating enough to consume all of my exercise calories on some days, however. This is probably where eating several smaller meals would be great.