Coffee Tawlk :)

Options
I love my cafe! Who here is a coffee drinker?

I've read a lot of different reviews on it, and recently I came across an article in Self Magazine that says drinking it will increase cardiovascular health. I can imagine why, since it increases heart rate *caffeine*... but why does the drink have negative connotations among some health nuts?

I drink a lot of it, black, maybe a little skim milk or fat free creamer! I think it helps with appetite also, of course water would have the same effect, just without the metabolism boosting!

So, to Java or not to Java?

Replies

• bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    According to SELF:

"Far from a vice, downing 1 to 3 cups of java daily might slash your risk for death from heart disease by as much as 25 percent, a study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows. The combination of antioxidants and certain acids in coffee may work together to soothe inflammation."

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2010/08/a-week-of-superfoods?currentPage=3
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I, too, love my morning (and afternoon!) coffee!! In my nutrition course, we learned that up to 3 cups a day is in fact good for you, as your *SELF* article noted. It's nice to know that I can indulge in something I love and not have it be horrible for me! I also drink it with skim milk so I can be certain I'm not getting the calories and fat from some of those coffee creams out there!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee anymore because just one cup every morning made me SO sluggish. I switched to mainly water and I have a lot more energy now. I used coffee to wake me up and it did the opposite.
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    I love/need my morning coffee!! I drink about 2-3 cups in the morning with some fat free half-half in it (and I do count the calories!
    I don't like to start my morning without coffee, so it's a daily thing!

879845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups a day with fat free half and half and Splenda...I use this cool device called the Aerolatte that makes it like a latte...it is amazing. Sometimes I put a little cinnamon in it too.

I will NEVER stop drinking coffee!! ;)
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I LOVE coffee, but don't drink caffeine anymore. So I will occasionally have a decaf latte or cup of love.
    I read about how caffeine alters your blood sugar and wrecks havoc on your adrenal glands. Since the adrenal glands monitor hormones it messes that up too. As a woman with funky hormones I figured I needed to stay away from caffeine.

I first started with half caffe and then moved on to strictly decaff. The huge bonus is that if I miss my morning coffee I am not cranky and slow anymore. I just go about my day with energy. In fact I accidentally got a caffeinated latte at the coffee shop last week and it made my face feel numb. It was so weird. :)

I'll take something else like fish oil for my heart health. caffeine just messes me up now.
  • lauraparkerrr
    lauraparkerrr Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups a day with fat free half and half and Splenda...I use this cool device called the Aerolatte that makes it like a latte...it is amazing. Sometimes I put a little cinnamon in it too.

I have the cow print aerolatte :)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I have the cow print aerolatte :)

Definitely checking out this "aerolatte"!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I, too, love coffee, but lately I have been replacing a cup or two a day with green tea. After seeing that you have lost 110 lbs and love coffee, I am definitely on board as a proud coffee drinker!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I loooove my coffee!! Black coffee, no sugar or creamer. I've given up a lot on my weight loss journey but coffee is one thing I will never give up. :drinker:
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Java junkie here....usually black but I do indulge in a non-fat latte from time to time. No sweetner needed.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am with those who say they will never give up the coffee! I have 2 cups in the morning and an occasional afternoon coffee if I'm meeting my tutoring student at Starbucks. My trainer was looking at my food diary last week and said the body sees coffee as poison. I told him, sorry, but it is non-negotiable!! I think sometimes he is too much of a purist and isn't always the best nutritionist. (ie, I am vegetarian and he had no idea what to suggest for protein sources for me to up my protein. :ohwell: )

To paraphrase a well-known quote: You can have my coffee when you pry it from my cold dead hands! :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I love my :heart: coffee,:heart: as long as it is DECAF. I accidentally forgot to specify DECAF at 2p on Saturday afternoon at Starbucks. OOPS!! Bad mistake. I didn't get to sleep until 1 PM on SUNDAY afternoon. Pulled an"all nighter" for no reason, except that I wasn't sleepy. Went out for breakfast on Sunday morning, and came home and took a 3.5 hour nap:yawn:

I can't stand black coffee, but have come up with a way to minimize the creamer and sweetener. When I hit Starbucks, I add some nutmeg and cinnamon to my brew, which enable me to minimize the non-fat milk and just use one packet of Truvia (I bring my own).

Viva la JAVA!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • homerjquinn
    Options
    Yes, another coffee-lover here. Only drink it black these days. A couple of weeks ago I tried cutting my morning coffee (usually 2 cups) and found that I was feeling less inclined to go and workout (mid-morning). Seems the caffeine jolt gets me moving. So, coffee is, happily, back on the morning menu.
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I LOVE COFFEE!...but....in moderation it is fine, in excess it can be bad! I used to work in the coffee business and so I have read a lot about coffee...such as you shouldn't drink coffee before a meal, the oils in it (as well as the caffiene) coat your stomach and keep you from absorbing nutrients...coffee can of course stain your teeth and weaken your tooth enamel... and well, caffiene is just not good for you, from osteoperosis to hypertension...it can cause added stress to your body that can keep it from working right.

According to Dr. Elson M. Haas in Staying Healthy with Nutrition (2006), coffee abuse can result in cardiac sensitivity, abnormal heartbeats, anxiety and irritability, stomach and intestinal irritation, insomnia, and such withdrawal symptoms as fatigue, headaches, and depression.

**sighs** Sad to think something so wonderful can be so mean to your body :) I think 2, 8 oz. cups a day is fine...they even just found out that drinking coffee can help prevent certain head and neck cancers! So just like anything else, moderation.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have to have my morning coffee, usually 1-2 cups in the morning (or 3-4 in the winter) with splenda and low-fat or sugar-free flavored creamer. I'm trying to transition to just flavored Splenda to save calories, but it's a slow process. Since I have almost quit drinking diet cokes, except for the occasional diet sierra mist, my coffee is the only caffeine I get during the day. I drink tea occasionally, but always decaf. I've tried switching out my morning coffee for hot green tea, but it's just not the same. I need my coffee!