What's your Favorite No fat/ low fat salad dressing??

Options

Replies

• JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    hot sauce!!! Don't knock it till you've tried it on a salad =) mmm mmm delicious!!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    lime juice and olive oil :bigsmile:
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    None. I eat salad dry or with lemon juice. There's just too much sodium for me.
  • Nicolearredondo17
    Nicolearredondo17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Raspberry Vinaigrette, Fat Free only 35 calories and I never need more than that.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Why are people so afraid of fat?

I just prefer to get fat from other sources - nuts, fruits, veggies, and meat.

I've never heard of a vegetable that contains fat. :huh:

You'd be surprised that there exists a non-zero amount of fruits and vegetables that contain some fat

http://www.livestrong.com/article/454494-do-fruits-vegetables-contain-fat/

"Fat Content in Vegetables
    Typically, the only fat in vegetables is fat added during preparation or cooking. For example, a 5.3-oz. potato has zero grams of fat, but in a 4-oz. serving of french fries, there are 19 g of fat. To minimize the amount of fat in your diet, prepare vegetables using a small amount of fat, such as olive oil, or steam vegetables when possible. When dining out, select baked, steamed, stir-fried or boiled vegetables. Avoid vegetables that have been deep fried, like french fries."

Hence the phrase "fruits and vegetables" besides there are people that think Avacados (and tomatoes for that matter) are vegetables.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised that there exists a non-zero amount of fruits and vegetables that contain some fat

Typically, the only fat in vegetables is fat added during preparation or cooking. For example, a 5.3-oz. potato has zero grams of fat, but in a 4-oz. serving of french fries, there are 19 g of fat. To minimize the amount of fat in your diet, prepare vegetables using a small amount of fat, such as olive oil, or steam vegetables when possible. When dining out, select baked, steamed, stir-fried or boiled vegetables. Avoid vegetables that have been deep fried, like french fries."

Hence the phrase "fruits and vegetables" besides there are people that think Avacados (and tomatoes for that matter) are vegetables.

Technically, they are. So are seeds and nuts.

veg·e·ta·ble/ˈvɛdʒtəbəl, ˈvɛdʒɪtə-/ Show Spelled [vej-tuh-buhl, vej-i-tuh-] Show IPA
    noun
    1. any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.
    2. the edible part of such a plant, as the tuber of the potato.
    3. any member of the vegetable kingdom; plant.
    4. Informal. a person who is so severely impaired mentally or physically as to be largely incapable of conscious responses or activity.
    5. a dull, spiritless, and uninteresting person.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Where do you think vegetable oil comes from?

Almost always soybeans which are members of the pea family- hmm...learn something new every day on here!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options

veg·e·ta·ble/ˈvɛdʒtəbəl, ˈvɛdʒɪtə-/ Show Spelled [vej-tuh-buhl, vej-i-tuh-] Show IPA
    noun
    1. any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.
    4. Informal. a person who is so severely impaired mentally or physically as to be largely incapable of conscious responses or activity.

So, you're telling me that fruits, nuts, and seeds are all vegetables? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    Options

noun

So, you're telling me that fruits, nuts, and seeds are all vegetables? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Kraft Lite Raspberry Vinagrette.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options

noun

Yes

:yawn:
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I make my own and use a dash of Olive Oil, Lemon and Honey.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes

Sorry to bore you, but you did ask. :ohwell:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I know someone already said bolthouse and those are good

Braswell's are also good and come in a reusable carafe. They have some unique yummy ones like tomato Vidalia onion and this peach one.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Putting salsa on a salad sounds gross to me, is that really a salad dressing substitute?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Putting salsa on a salad sounds gross to me, is that really a salad dressing substitute?

Ever had taco salad? Salsa and sour scream is the 'dressing'
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

Yes, It's extremely yummy!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options

Yes

You're not boring me in the slightest. I'm just trying to understand why you'd think a fruit, a seed, or a nut would be considered as a vegetable.
  • bwellgirl
    bwellgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make my own salad dressings. I use juice from 1/2 lemon squeezed, 1 - 2tablespoons olive or flax oil (depending on the size of the salad), salt and pepper. It's really simple and includes only healthy fats (which are our bodies need). I add fresh herbs to my salad to give it more flavor.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes

You're not boring me in the slightest. I'm just trying to understand why you'd think a fruit, a seed, or a nut would be considered as a vegetable.

I don't think they are "considered" a vegetable. I would imagine many people don't "consider" them vegetables. But they are, nonetheless, vegetables by definition.