Excercise advice to get those last 20 pounds off

Options
Hey all, I am about 20 pounds or so away from my major first goal weight which is 130 pounds; I am only 5 feet tall so I am going to see how I feel and go from there. For exercise right now I do circuit training 3-4 days a week with a trainer and on occasion boot camp. I also enjoy swimming. I try and get in 6 days of exercise for one hour. Anyone have any suggestions for new exercises that I should try to help get these last 20 pounds off. My gym has the following classes: TRX, Boot camp, spinning, hatha yoga, pilates, zumba,, cardio blast, etc. Any suggestions?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Pilates. Great core strengthening.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried spinning before... you have to try it at least once!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    maintain a modest calorie deficit in your diet and hit the weight room. Weight training has done more for me in RE to reducing BF% than anything else. You will maintain your lean body mass which burns more calories throughout the day. Also, you don't burn a ton of calories while you're working out, but you burn more in a 48 hour period of repair than you do with cardio.

Cardio alone and excessive cardio is only going to hurt you in the long run. I'm not saying you shouldn't do cardio...everyone should do cardio...but everyone should be incorporating some kind of strength/resistance training as well.
  • dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Since you have been so active, try talking to your trainer about lifting more heavy weights with fewer reps. You won't bulk up--women just can't, and resting muscle burns a lot more calories. Also, try googling high intensity interval training. If you do that, you can burn extra calories for up to two days. I really like the new book by Rachel Cosgrove. I think it's called. Lose Two Dress Sizes...she talks a lot about how to rev up your metabolism and vary your workout to keep your body burning calories. I have used some of her older books. They really do work. Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    HIIT is great, but remember 'Weight Loss Is Made In the Kitchen, Fitness Is Made In The Gym'. Exercise is thay extra 10/20% but you need to be eating right.

Zara
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Another vote for lifting heavy weights.
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    HIIT is great, but remember 'Weight Loss Is Made In the Kitchen, Fitness Is Made In The Gym'. Exercise is thay extra 10/20% but you need to be eating right.

Zara
    Thanks! Congrats on the 93 pounds!
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. My trainer bumped up the intensity today with heavier weights :)
  • Jennhaley6
    Jennhaley6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a "zig-zag" daily calorie cycle? Where you eat different amounts of calories to throw your body off a plateau. You can find a calculator at freedieting.com. My husband does this as a body builder to build leaner muscle and lower body fat percentage.