Macros Don't Add Up do Caloric Goal

Options
Annaruthus
Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
Hello,

My macronutrient totals do not add up to my calorie goal, thus it seems as if I always go over on my macros, but stay within my calories. Can this be fixed?

FYI, I'm going off of 4 calories=1 gram of carbs or protein, and 9 calories=1 gram of fat

Thanks!

Replies

• Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!! You need to start with your calorie goal and THEN calculate the macros, not the other way around. What is your calorie goal and what macro's are you aiming for?
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank girl, that did the trick! Even though my calorie goal updated after I changed it, my macro goals hadn't updated. It looks just right now.

Calories: 1800
    Protein: 40%
    Carbohydrates: 35%
    Fat: 25%
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Excellent!! Rock it :)
  • Happy4lifeHHH
    Happy4lifeHHH Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem.... I can't get in enough protein without going over my calories and or carbs because I am a vegan.... Any suggestions?
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You can try adding in a vegan protein shake.
  • ladyswole25
    Options
    I seem to hit my macros before I hit my calories -_-...diet can be the trickiest part ever.
  • clairedc
    clairedc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm vegan too. How many protein grams are you shooting for? As long as you are getting enough calories in a day, you will be able to get all the protein you need from fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans. Even the CDC says women need only 46 grams per day. I aim for about 10% protein, 10% fat (naturally occurring only -- no added oils), and 80% carbohydrates. This fuels my active lifestyle nicely. Best of luck!

Personally, I don't believe concentrated protein sources (i.e. "shakes") are necessary. There's nothing "whole food" about them; they are highly processed. But do what seems right to you.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html
  • clairedc
    clairedc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    P.S. this is my "zombie" face. I don't really look like this -- didn't want to scare you. Ha ha!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa. It is a vegetable. Full of protein and amino acids.

I use it as a "starch" to replace white rice in the recipes.

Also for breakfast, mixed with steel cut oats.

Good luck in your journey