Need help with nutrition on a "soft" diet

Options
jacklis
jacklis Posts: 280 Member
Had gum graft surgery last Wednesday- cannot yet eat solid food. Eating lots of my protein shakes, yogurt, blended cottage cheese, soup, and not getting enough calories in. This is hindering my return to working out, making me sluggish, frustrated and angry.
Any ideas for different ways to get my protein and goods in? I am just not a happy camper right now.

Replies

• strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What about baby food?
  • jacklis
    Options
    Yes, I suppose that will work- essentially what I am eating is baby food- just homemade.
    My husband's squash soup could be considered a classy baby food.
    Probably better than purchasing baby food that is full of cornstarch and stuff.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Would heartier soups like bisques be a possbility? Fish or chicken/corn chowder then pureed? This is a toughie!

Hope you heal quickly. :flowerforyou:
  • jacklis
    Options
    Thanks for the love.
    A bisque would be good- I have been mixing greek yogurt in with my soup to make it more substantial, and that is really helping with the calorie/protein count, but I feel like I'm starving for greens- so that will have to be my focus. Green soup
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have a juicer that's a great way to get in the nutrients and you can just drink it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'd be drinking some milkshakes :drinker: .

Mashed potatoes and pureed veggie soups and smoothies w/ protein powder and/or greek yogurt were going to be my suggestions. Mashed sweet potatoes with either savory spices like chili powder and cumin or good old brown sugar and butter would be a good bet.

Also, as a side note, baby food typically should not have any additives besides water in the fruits/veggies (obvious exceptions for the kinds listed with cereal, yogurt, etc). You won't find cornstarch in baby food, and if you do...well, I sure as heck wouldn't be feeding that brand to any baby of mine.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When I had my tonsils out last year I had the same problem, here's what I went after:
    slim fast shakes or ensure shakes (I know they're totally processed and not 'clean eating' but hey, it was only for a short period of time).
    Peanut butter (melt it if you have to or blend it in with a smoothie).
    Almond Milk (chocolate is delicious!!). Juicing (If you add soy or almond milk to this it will make it higher protien & cals).
    Whole wheat pasta - spaghetti (you can over-cook the noodles if regular pasta isn't soft enough)

Needless to say, I feel your pain. By the time my throat was healed I just wanted a giant burger and fries (Which I happily indulged in, lol!) Hope you heal up fast!!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie? (Cooked ground beef, veg cut small & cooked soft and gravy with mashed potato on top), thick nourishing soups, fish pie (cooked white fish in cheese sauce with mashed potato on top), melted cheese (mmm, haven't had that in years), scrambled egg & NO toast, baked beans (again NO toast) - you could mash them up with a fork if they're too lumpy to get down as they are.
  • Aleysia87
    Aleysia87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try mixing almond butter in with your yogurt or cottage cheese -- it's a pretty delicious, calorie-dense combination.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Pureed vegetables can be really nice season it with spices and a little bit of gravy mix thickens it nicely.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Add PB or avocado. They're soft and calorie dense.

How about cheese? Pudding?
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling to get more protein, try drinking a glass or two of milk with every meal. I was surprised by the protein content even in skim milk!
  • jacklis
    Options
    I'd be drinking some milkshakes :drinker: .

Mashed potatoes and pureed veggie soups and smoothies w/ protein powder and/or greek yogurt were going to be my suggestions. Mashed sweet potatoes with either savory spices like chili powder and cumin or good old brown sugar and butter would be a good bet.

Also, as a side note, baby food typically should not have any additives besides water in the fruits/veggies (obvious exceptions for the kinds listed with cereal, yogurt, etc). You won't find cornstarch in baby food, and if you do...well, I sure as heck wouldn't be feeding that brand to any baby of mine.

I appreciate your input on the baby food- my kids are teens- so it has been a while since I bought store bought baby food- and tried to make it myself because it had extra stuff in it.
  • jacklis
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. I was just staring and staring at the fridge and pantry - and feeling quite uninspired. Having your input has made a huge boost.
    Gonna get my fill and get back on this wagon!