Anyone use their dog as motivation to exercise?

Options
benne070
benne070 Posts: 51 Member
I have a two year old pit bull who is full of energy. If I can get him out and walking/jogging, everyone is happier!

Anyone else? (I'm a huge dog lover!)

Replies

• sjenkin6
    sjenkin6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but just today I decided to volunteer at the local shelter to exercise the dogs! Got all the info and will attend volunteer orientation Saturday morning. Unfortunately I rent and am not allowed to have a dog.
  • benne070
    Options
    I volunteered while in college, and it was a great stress reliever and great exercise getting to walk the dogs :)
  • Mrs_Padgett
    Mrs_Padgett Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We got a lab puppy a month ago (3 months old then, 4 months old now) and I walk her as much as I can for exercise and plus her hyper crazy puppy energy is motivation enough for me to walk her so she calms down!
  • benne070
    Options
    Exactly! If I don't get some of my dog's energy out, it doesn't make for a relaxing evening after work!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I actually use my dog for a variety of reasons.

She sleds my daughter home from school, carries home the groceries (we live in London and don't own a vehicle), and she is also trained to attack on command.

She however, cannot lift a barbell and isn't a very good work out partner.
  • benne070
    Options
    wow, your dog sounds pretty multi-talented!
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes! Everyday I walk my dog because he is 2 and has tons of energy! If I come home and sit he barks until we play!
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use my Sally ( a sheltie) all the time on my long walks. She keeps me company and is full of energy. She really keeps me going :)
  • shareelynette
    shareelynette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love taking my dog on walks/runs. She really enjoys it and she keeps me going and also makes me feel safer. Even though she is a big wuss haha
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just got a new puppy haha who I have decided to take for daily walks in the AM

I have to check with the vet about jogging though b/c I've heard that it isn't good for large breed dogs to be running too much as puppies b/c it can make them more prone to hip displasia(sp?)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I actually use my dog for a variety of reasons.

She sleds my daughter home from school, carries home the groceries (we live in London and don't own a vehicle), and she is also trained to attack on command.

She however, cannot lift a barbell and isn't a very good work out partner.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And OP, yes. Even when I feel lazy and just bleh...I'll get off my butt for my dog. She's about 2-3 years old and even though she isn't a high energy dog - still needs her exercise :D

The way I feel about it is, if I want to screw up my health that's one thing. I won't screw up someone else's (my dog's in this case) because I feel too lazy to want to go for a walk..lol.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i walk my dog at least once a day. sometimes i'll go slow and other times i'll go fast. I rather him make a mess outside than on the carpet. I cant stand stains on the carpet.
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just started my C25K training and take my Border Collie out with me for runs, she loves and and is such a clown that I don't realize that I am running
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have two English Mastiffs and because of their size I generally will walk each of them separately which is a bonus for me. My big girl just weighed in at 160 and we want to get her down to about 150ish. So when I don't want to walk I just think Daisy needs me to walk her big ol' booty.
  • benne070
    Options
    They really are good motivation. Although my dog may be as out of shape as I am. I started c25k this week, and during the 1 minute jogging interval he can't keep up!!!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have a very old, fat, Akita/ German Shepherd dog and am trying to get him out for a walk every day. Neither of us can tolerate walking on sidewalks, since we both have bad arthritis, but I take him to the soccer fields in town. He can now handle going around all three! When we started a few months ago, he could only manage one! AND he has lost 8 pounds so far! From 112 to 104! He should be around 80-85. My Sheltie/ border collie mix loves it to. She minds, so I let her off leash, and she just runs and runs. He doesn't mind, so he is on leash. They both look forward to it, and I feel guilty when I cannot manage it, or the weather doesn't cooperate. (After we got 7 inches of rain in one day during a rainy spell, the fields were under three feet of water, but they are dry now.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i always walk my neighbors dog a 2 year old weathen terrier but we looking to get a border collie in the near future since i had to leave my collie/chow in germany with my mom she loves him and he is 13 yrs old i didnt want to put him threw the flight and my mom got noone else but him.
  • butterbean4283
    butterbean4283 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I definitely use my Diesel for motivation. He loves to run and I want to be able to run with him. I even mention this in my about me section. I also volunteer a lot at the shelter. Dogs are a huge love of mine.
  • moltenemotion
    Options
    I have a 16 month old doxie/yorkie cross, and we go for long (1-3 miles) walks every morning before the heat and the humidity get out of control. If I DONT walk him, he is just out of control all day, and that's enough to keep me motivated.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    YES! My 15 week old Australian Cattle Dog is my walking partner and future running partner. When I was evaluating various dog breeds to determine which breed was the best match for me, I looked for breeds with high physical activity requirements. I knew I would have to commit keeping my new pet healthy and happy by providing physical activity.

Cora and I walk in the morning and evenings, 1.5 miles currently. On weekends, when I'm not strapped for time, we take two 2 mile walks each day. I am training with C25K so I will be about to run with her when she is old enough to start running.