Anyone use their dog as motivation to exercise?

Options

Replies

• blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Great Danes and a Corgi and am most definitely not able to take all of them out at once, but they enjoy their individual walks! I'm doing C25K right now as well but I'm not sure I have enough confidence to run with any of them yet because it takes so much focus to get through the runs. I'm hoping I can bring them along once it gets easier. They certainly do get into less trouble at home once they're worn out! :smile:
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    i walk my dog at least once a day. sometimes i'll go slow and other times i'll go fast. I rather him make a mess outside than on the carpet. I cant stand stains on the carpet.

You should really do it more than once a day to help avoid the really messy situatuions your dog could cause. Once a day isn't sufficient. Just a little helpful tip. If you need me to walk your dog to help just let me know. I love puppy kisses.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    yep this puppy loves to run...not kidding! [img]http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t540/Brian_J_Miller/Facebook/Mobile Uploads/901952_10201112947730365_1214481948_o.jpg[/img]
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    i walk my dog at least once a day. sometimes i'll go slow and other times i'll go fast. I rather him make a mess outside than on the carpet. I cant stand stains on the carpet.

Stains on the couch are even worse. Ideally you should be walking your dog twice a day. A prework walk followed by a post work walk. The dog will have to much energy and likely burst if you don't do this.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options

Stains on the couch are even worse. Ideally you should be walking your dog twice a day. A prework walk followed by a post work walk. The dog will have to much energy and likely burst if you don't do this.

Dogs bursting on their own can be a bad thing. Bad, bad doggy.
  • skinnyforcruise2013
    Options
    Yes, in fact at lunch I walked my 2 Standard Poodles. They have lots of energy and love going for walks and rides too. It makes me smaller and them more tired and happier, so we all win!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have a one-year-old Shih Tzu named Dexter (picture on my ticker). I take him for walks, but his little legs hold me back at times. About 20 minutes into the walk he starts looking over his shoulder at me like, "are you kidding?!..."
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I tried to, but it turns out that he was lazier than me.
    I'd get about 2 blocks before he'd decide to either climb my leg so that I'd carry him the rest of the way or he'd want to take a nap on someones lawn.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i have a boxer. If he doesn't get proper exercise, he starts gnawing on furniture :)

Motivation!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! My 2 girls can never get enough exercise.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have 7 in my family (GSD, black lab, yellow lab, Jack Russell, Flatcoated Retriever/Chow, Catahoula/black lab, black lab/pit) and all of them go for a walk or run at least once/day. In the hot Houston summer, the walks are shorter, but in the winter, we can run for miles and the black lab/pit regularly runs 6+ miles with me if it's cool enough! They love it and everyone stays exercised and happy (and they like being able to eat a little more and not chunk up!). It gives all of us motivation to walk/run as well.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't have one anymore, but I had a sweet pitty too, and she just wanted to go ANYWHERE I did (and it made my husband happy to know nobody was going to mess with me on a run with a pit bull on my leash..she was very protective :laugh: )
  • FunSizedK
    FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a 8 1/2 month old boxer and I am trying to exercise him everyday!
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I have a six year old Black & Tan Coonhound that I walk at least 3 miles a day. We hike a lot as well... I need to walk this guy daily because he is not one to be sitting around and doing nothing all day long!
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Pit-Bull owner also, everyone is happier when Taffy gets her walk. I also bought a garage sale bike so she could run along side. Best $7 I ever spent. She is my very determined motivator to get my walking shoes on...and once I'm out there we just go until she's tuckered out, about an hour.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 1/2 year old Puggle. I use her as an excuse for extra excersize :) I usually go to the gym in the mornings and take her for nice long relaxing walks when I get home from work. So relaxing and she loves it!!! But she keeps me motivated to go for our daily walks because I feel bad she is stuck home all day while I am at work
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My girl is a 7-year old Alaskan Malamute / Treeing Walker Coonhound mix who thinks she's still a puppy. When I got her from the shelter, I specifically asked for a dog that liked to walk a lot, because I needed some motivation to keep exercising. She wakes me up at 5:30 am every single morning - rain or shine, even on Sundays, even when I just got home at 2:30am. We walk two or three times a day, at least 40 minutes each time. And recently I found out that she LOVES trails in the woods, so we've been scouring all the local parks and running the trails whenever we get the chance. She is my biggest motivator and supporter, and the best exercise buddy ever!!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Whatever the weather, our 3.5yr old GSD makes sure I go for a walk! She gets 4 a day, two short 15min walks and two longer walks which I share with my husband then Sundays we go out for a couple of hours. I hope to take her on c25k training runs but she does tend to stop suddenly for trees and lamposts!
  • jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    The dog whisperer says a tired dog is a good dog.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    yah much so...I love a worn out puppy