Vitamins/Supplements? I need some guidance...

Options
doowop713
doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
The last time I took a vitamin, I was chewing on those delicious little Flintstones chewables when I was like.... 7. I tried taking One A Day Womens vitamins and I would dry heave no matter how much food was in my belly or what I swallowed those pills with. Someone said it may be because of the iron or zinc in em'. I dunno.

Now I'm 22, trying to lose weight and get healthy, and have discovered a mood shift. I'm way more irritable and have a shorter fuse. I don't feel as easy-going anymore. I am not sure if the mood shift is from exercising more and eating healthy, or from a mixture of that + stress. A friend on MFP said that happens to women sometimes when your nutrition changes, because your body chemistry shifts a little. She recommended I take vitamins. I have no idea what to take or if I am lacking in any nutritional department.

Is there a really good multivitamin for young women that actually is absorbed into our bodies? I've heard about the gimmicks that aren't soluble and are a waste of money. My overall goal is to get from 173lbs and 31BMI to around 140lbs and whatever BMI goes along with that (probably around 19 or 20). I workout and do cardio when I can (usually a few times a week at the very least) and I eat well. I rarely go over my weekly allotment of calories.

Please help! Thank you!!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Check your vitamin D and calcium intake. I'd recommend a D3 supplement (700-1500 IU) if you don't spend a lot of time in the sun, and calcium if you're not getting enough in your diet. I recommend most people take fish oil as well.

You can toss a multi in there too. Shouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Not an expert on women and their vitamins. But I will go ahead and recommend Fish Oil. I go with the triple strength, so I don't have to take 3 a day...just one!
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I would get horribly sick when I took my pre-natal vitamins. My doctor recommended that I start taking the children's gummy vitamins. They taste a little weird (not like delicious little gummy bears), but I didn't get sick either...maybe they're worth a try.
  • doowop713
    Options
    Check your vitamin D and calcium intake. I'd recommend a D3 supplement (700-1500 IU) if you don't spend a lot of time in the sun, and calcium if you're not getting enough in your diet. I recommend most people take fish oil as well.

You can toss a multi in there too. Shouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Another person said something about calcium. Thank you! I don't get much sun sitting in my office, and I don't do much dairy either. That could be it. I've seen lots of folks talk about Fish Oil too. I'll grab some of that and give it a go as well. Thanks for the feedback!
  • doowop713
    Options
    Not an expert on women and their vitamins. But I will go ahead and recommend Fish Oil. I go with the triple strength, so I don't have to take 3 a day...just one!

:) Thanks! I will grab some Fish Oil!
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins always make he heave as well, then I tried the gummies with not problems what so ever:)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

^^what he said. My insurance covered the blood work to have my vitamin D checked and it was in rage but on the very low side. I take a women's multi vitamin, calcium, vitamin D, B-12, Biotin and fish oil (liquid).

Best of luck and feel free to add me. :)
  • doowop713
    Options
    When I was pregnant I would get horribly sick when I took my pre-natal vitamins. My doctor recommended that I start taking the children's gummy vitamins. They taste a little weird (not like delicious little gummy bears), but I didn't get sick either...maybe they're worth a try.

Well, I'm not pregnant, but that could be an option if nothing else works. Thanks!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have a problem with swallowing vitamins too - makes me nauseaus (sp?). I take gummy chewables from Trader Joes every day. I also take, Vitamins C, D, B12, Iron and Magnesium - of course, I went and had bloodwork done and found out where I was deficient .... Major deficiencies will cause mood shifts and irritability, as well as decreased sex drive! Before adding too much, get some bloodwork done - that way, you can pinpoint what you need - and, ensure you are hitting the target, and not throwing paint into the wind hoping it hits something. :happy:
  • suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I still take the delicious little chewables, because I abhor swallowing the horse pills that they try to pass off as daily multis for women. And if I abhor doing something, I won't...I don't care how good they say it is. So I figure adorable chewy is better than nothing.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Another person said something about calcium. Thank you! I don't get much sun sitting in my office, and I don't do much dairy either. That could be it. I've seen lots of folks talk about Fish Oil too. I'll grab some of that and give it a go as well. Thanks for the feedback!

If you get a calcium supplement, be sure to get calcium citrate, not calcium carbonate. IIRC calcium citrate is better absorbed, and calcium carbonate comes from sources such as oyster shells that tend to contain more toxins (yes, actual toxins like lead). Calcium carbonate is cheaper.

A good idea is to buy generic calcium citrate+D tablets and take one twice a day.
  • doowop713
    Options
    I have a problem with swallowing vitamins too - makes me nauseaus (sp?). I take gummy chewables from Trader Joes every day. I also take, Vitamins C, D, B12, Iron and Magnesium - of course, I went and had bloodwork done and found out where I was deficient .... Major deficiencies will cause mood shifts and irritability, as well as decreased sex drive! Before adding too much, get some bloodwork done - that way, you can pinpoint what you need - and, ensure you are hitting the target, and not throwing paint into the wind hoping it hits something. :happy:

aw man.... I guess I'll have to get blood work done. *shudders* You are right. I shouldn't just take stuff as a guess to solve my issue. And I hate to admit it, but the sex drive has suffered as well. I didn't realize that could be linked to deficiencies! I hate needles but I'll see about a check-up. Thanks!
  • jonnythan
    Options

:) Thanks! I will grab some Fish Oil!

For fish oil, you want to make sure you're getting somewhere close to 900 mg of EPA+DHA. Check the label. "1400 mg fish oil" doesn't mean anything in particular.

The jury is out on whether it's actually helpful over the long term, but all the physicians I know and trust strongly recommend it.

Also be sure to check the serving size. Spring Valley brand at Walmart makes a "Triple strength" that's got a bit over 900mg of EPA and DHA in a single pill. That's what I take.
  • doowop713
    Options

If you get a calcium supplement, be sure to get calcium citrate, not calcium carbonate. IIRC calcium citrate is better absorbed, and calcium carbonate comes from sources such as oyster shells that tend to contain more toxins (yes, actual toxins like lead). Calcium carbonate is cheaper.

A good idea is to buy generic calcium citrate+D tablets and take one twice a day.

Got it. Calcium CITRATE, not CARBONATE. cool. I appreciate it! Thank you!
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    i take multi-vitamins with added iron ( have a tendency towards anaemia) and fish oil with calcuim every day-like others have said, if you struggle with pills, the gummys are good.
    since taking them, i don't feel so tired constantly and my mood has improved greatly- the fish oil has helped the flexibility and reduced the amount of grief from my dodgy knees.
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    Most multivitamins have such cheap ingredients, they aren't even worth taking.

You can tell the quality of a multi just by looking at a few ingredients.

B12: almost all vitamins contain Cyanocobalamin. Five Hour energy also uses it. It is cheap and the body doesn't use it as well as methylcobalamin. If a vitamin contains Cyanocobalamin, it's cheap right off the bat. That's a good indicator.Oxide is another ingredient that shows its cheapness. You don't want your Zinc from Zinc Oxide or your Magnesium from Magnesium oxide. A vitamin is rated on its ingredients. Best vitamin for your money without a doubt is Source Natural Life Force Multiple, they make a women's version too. That is all you would need really.