From 315 to 172 - Years in the Making

Options
I was just announced as a winner in a Body Transformation 12 week contest, where I placed #10 in terms of overall appearance transformation in a given 12 week period.

Top 10 Men:
http://www.adonisindex.com/at10-12-week-transformation-winners-announced/?htm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+AdonisIndex+(Adonis+Index+Blog)

I am ecstatic and relieved I made it (it's my second entry, I did not place in the previous one). But it goes way far back than 12 weeks...it goes back years. I was a monstrous depressed fat kid with no friends that just ate his emotions. Didn't help that I am gay either, I was pretty much the main bully topic in all of High School and often had thoughts of suicide because I couldn't handle the day to day insults and looks and judgement that I got from EVERYONE and ANYONE.

This is just a quick message share with everyone that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. I am a lazy ****, and if I could go from 315 lbs to 174 lbs...ANYONE CAN :)

Got some more information and progress shots on my personal blog I've been working on. I'm going to turn to my new goal to become a life coach and to help people reach what I 've reached....because the difference in life is INSANE.

View My Blog:
www.learning-right.blogspot.ca

Today's a good day. Accomplishments rock!

Thanks to MyFitnessPal for this great tool. It is imperative and an important habit to pick up when trying to change yourself :)

Replies

• walkingmywaytohealth
    Options
    Amazing and Inspiring.....this is you....soon to be me. CONGRATS on a job well done!
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the accomplishment! You look amazing! :drinker:
  • Balanvita
    Balanvita Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! You obviously aren't "a lazy ****" What you've done takes a tremendous amount of perseverance!
    I also love "The Power of Habit" Thanks for sharing!
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Holy smoke! You rocked that challenge. Way to go! You're quite an inspiration. Thanks for sharing!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Impressive and you look amazing!
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Congrats! WTG! :flowerforyou:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress, I hope to be able to join you and be comparable!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! You obviously aren't "a lazy ****" What you've done takes a tremendous amount of perseverance!
    I also love "The Power of Habit" Thanks for sharing!

all of this!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    amazing job! thank you for sharing and hugs to you! overcoming hardships can really build character--sounds like you've had many to overcome but now look at you! inside and out!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I want your bod.
  • kegger1997
    Options
    that is awesome, keep it up!!!
  • Souldor
    Souldor Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

It was hard at first. It took me 6 years but not 6 years of continuously losing weight. There's SO MUCH WRONG INFORMATION out there, and it's really hard to decipher what exactly is true and what is fake.

People often do not want to admit that losing weight = eating less, no matter how you put it. When someone asks me "OMG WHAT DID YOU DO???" and I reply "Eat less" they often go "Ok fine but WHAT ELSE?!?!?"

There is no magic. Unfortunately by all means I'd LOVE to be able to eat 2000+ calories a day and not gain weight by doing something else, but it all boils down to Calories In Vs. Calories Out.

Now that I've come to terms with the fact that there is no magic to losing weight, it all boils down to finding your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is the amount of calories you burn lying down inactive all day (tons of free calculators online) and just try eating less than that number.

A lot of mistakes people make is Cardio. They run on a machine that says YOU BURNED 500 CALORIES (which is a complete fake number and should never be taken into consideration) and people end up EATING those extra 500, which ends up being even more calories since you didn't lose anywhere near 500 in the first place.

It's easy for me now with this experience to be able to pin point all the bull**** flying around on the internet and the stupid ads on websites and the dumb emails written to lure you into a magic pill or supplement to help you lose weight....but it all boils down to:

1) Losing weight = eating less. You don't even need to go to the gym to become lean, it's just a bonus
    2) Food companies cannot make profit on selling EATING LESS, so they try all kinds of weird ways like EAT SIX MEALS A DAY which obviously ends up coming up to spending more money on food than you originally were.

...aaand now I'm rambling on...but it's very very easy once your mind is in control. Forget EVERYTHING you THOUGHT you knew about losing weight, and just,

1) count calories with mfp
    2) try to eat less than your BMR (mine was 1900, and I try eating between 1200-1500 daily)
    3) Think of calories as a WEEKLY BUDGET. If you mess up and eat 3000 calories today, just eat less for the next 3 days to balance it out
    4) Never add calories burned from Cardio to your nutrition budget - all gym activities should be a "cherry on the top" for extra calories out

Let's make a health conscious world together! yahoooooo
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is my son and can I say how proud of a father I am?

Today he is my inspiration and by listening to what he learned and applied, I too, have finally shed some unwanted pouinds that I carried on me for many years (without really realizing it).

My goal is not complete yet, BUT, I am in the best shape of my life that I ever was.

Thank you Son!!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    First congrats on your success.....Second are you advising eating BELOW your BMR? Hmmm to each his own. To drop weight, bf, in my opinion (and I'm sure others will chime in) you don't have to eat BELOW your BMR. But honestly, congrats and what works for you will not work for everybody.
  • Souldor
    Souldor Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks Dad :) That's awesome <3

And, Jack, you are correct. What works for 1 person won't always work for everyone.

Eating below the BMR is just an extra cushion.

People normally don't take into consideration the 15-20% margin for error in packaged foods, the net weight. People also shouldn't add exercise burned from cardio and eat up for it (IE burning "700 cals doing elliptical" and then eating those 700. Especially since the numbers the machines say are bogus.

If you're worried about "starvation" mode, that is a really big myth and does not really start affecting you until 72+ hours of fasting.

But of course, I was just targeting my weight loss more aggressively than other people. There are people who are happy with going at a slower, more comfortable pace, and that's great too! I was just in a rush...and kinda OCD, haha
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!
  • Dijon82
    Dijon82 Posts: 1
    Options
    Really good read and well done! Gotta say, reading the comment from your dad was really nice as well. Kudos dude, sounds like you've got a good family there.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Terrific inspiration.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! Way to take control of your life! Wishing you continued success in your life!

MB
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!