Exercise- Morning vs. Evening

Options
I know exercise regardless of the time of day is better than no exercise at all but I've read articles that support both times of day as the better time to exercise. Does the time of day really make a difference? Does the type of exercise cardio/strength training/toning etc factor in at all.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The only way time of day makes a difference for me is that I'll do it consistently. In the evenings, too much going on, too many excuses. In the mornings, it sucks getting up at 4:30, but I do it, 5 days a week, and have done almost every weekday for 2 years. If there is a difference I would imagine, at least calorie burning-wise, it's fairly minimal, so any extra burn I might get from an evening workout, I'd lose when I wasn't consistent and skipped a workout. I'd rather lose a few calories burn and be consistent. I do know some people feel they lift better later in the day, but my husband lifts heavy in the am, and hasn't mentioned that it has ever affected him negatively. I don't think lifting in the evenings/afternoons would affect my lifting all that much, either.
  • simona815
    simona815 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thx
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    Typically your muscles are a little more flexible in the evening than early in the morning, might require a little more warm-up for you to feel comfortable in the morning. But to each there own!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can give it 110% a get your fitness on is the right time.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that! I can work out more consistently if I go in the mornings, so that's what I try to do! I also notice that, for me, I tend to get in better workouts in the mornings too. I think I get tired and weighed down by food in the evenings. Some people are exactly the opposite.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Experiment a little. I used to work out whenever my wacky work schedule permitted, and while doing something is obviously better than doing nothing, I found myself dragging my feet a lot and struggling to get motivated to workout in the afternoon or evening. I work out consistently mid-morning now, I don't have as much trouble getting my butt to the gym, and I also think I'm sleeping better. Find what works for you!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you can get yourself to workout consistantly in the morning ..... there is an advantage, I think. You are more likely to eat better because you are already "invested" ..... you don't want to screw up your hard work by eating crap.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used to try to get up in the morning and do it before going to work. I got out of it as I was never getting up on time! Now I do it at night. I find it much better at night. Of course, I am single and don't have to worry about anyone else in the evening. I am walking to and from work now so I guess I am getting some exercise in during the morning for that reason.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Whatever time you can is the best time. What if it's at lunch time? Then that's the best time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm sure everyone is in pretty much the same boat here: work out when you can - when your schedule will permit it, or in some cases, when you can make time in your schedule for it. If you actually have a choice when to work out, that's awesome - go for two a day!
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like early morning better. When I worked out in the afternoons often I would end up not having time. I feel like it starts my day off great and actually gives me extra energy :)
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    If you really want an in-depth answer here is a good link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek70.htm

Interesting and informative read....go with what fits into your schedule and when you're least likely to skip out or create an excuse.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I wake up early and get to the gym, my time is my own. If I'd go instead during lunch or after work or in the evening, a milllion things could come up.