Anyone Good with math???

Options
I was told my TDEE is 1500 cals a day, Im 5'6", 193lbs, 25 years old if I want to change my diet to a high protein low carb diet on MFP how much protein/carbs would I consume daily. What would my goals be?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1500 is not your TDEE. With your stats even if I put lightly active I get a TDEE of closer to 2200 and your BMR as 1650.

Low carb is not specific. Could be 30g or 60g or 100g.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    1500 is not your TDEE. With your stats even if I put lightly active I get a TDEE of closer to 2200 and your BMR as 1650.

Low carb is not specific. Could be 30g or 60g or 100g.

Some guy on here calculated my TDEE for me and said 1500 cals, he said I wasn't eating enough every day. Right now my MFP says I should take in 270 carbs a day and 40g of protein a day. But I have like 45% body fat so I am trying to reduce that by eating more protein, lifting weights, that kind of stuff
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Some guy is wrong.
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to find out your real tdee
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    i did the math. Your TDEE at little exercise is 2017. I base mine off that number and then add in exercise since sometimes I exercise more than others. So to lose 1 lb per week you need to eat 2017-20%=1613. Then add in your exercise and eat most of those calories as well.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was told my TDEE is 1500 cals a day, Im 5'6", 193lbs, 25 years old if I want to change my diet to a high protein low carb diet on MFP how much protein/carbs would I consume daily. What would my goals be?

Not sure about TDEE (I hear a lot about it but I haven't looked into it much other than just figuring out what it means), but if you are wanting to go to a low carb high FAT diet (e.g. keto, Atkins) then you want to maintain a ratio of 65% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs. The number of calories consumed would be impacted by your TDEE/BMR, but the ratio is important to prevent kidney damage.

I have never heard of a high protein, low carb diet and would probably sway you from it as too much protein can cause kidney damage.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I was at that scooby site (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to find out your real tdee) and when I put in my weight now, it listed something like 1900 calories to lose. But when I put in my target weight, it lists 1400 to lose.

So my question is, does being overweight cause you to burn more calories or something? I don't understand. Why would I not eat 1400 now?

The smaller you are, the less you can eat? I am not a math person and unfortunately math and food intersect.

Brain overload. Smoke coming from ears.
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    I have a question. I was at that scooby site (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to find out your real tdee) and when I put in my weight now, it listed something like 1900 calories to lose. But when I put in my target weight, it lists 1400 to lose.

So my question is, does being overweight cause you to burn more calories or something? I don't understand. Why would I not eat 1400 now?

The smaller you are, the less you can eat? I am not a math person and unfortunately math and food intersect.

Think about it like this..right now I am 45 lbs away from my goal weight so it's like I'm constantly carrying around a 45 lb bag of potatoes. Carrying around that bag is hard work so it's going to burn more calories. It takes more calories to move a bigger body.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Macro's
    40 For carbs, 30 Protein and 30 Fat.
    I tend to eat 3/4 the amount of carbs
    3X more Protein daily
    1/2 that amount of fat based on macro's.

I never liked Math.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Think about it like this..right now I am 45 lbs away from my goal weight so it's like I'm constantly carrying around a 45 lb bag of potatoes. Carrying around that bag is hard work so it's going to burn more calories. It takes more calories to move a bigger body.

I get it now. Makes perfect sense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    OP...I guarantee your TDEE is not 1,500 calories. Your TDEE is all of your activity, including your exercise (X hrs per week). 1500 calories may be your sedentary TDEE - 20%, but in such a scenario you would be doing basically the MFP method anyways and eating your exercise calories back. Pick a method and stick with it...if you're doing TDEE, do TDEE and calculate everything appropriately. If you do MFP, do MFP appropriately and eat back your exercise calories, or at least a good chunk of them.

Yes...you're moving more weight around, thus you will burn more calories. The lighter you get, the less calories your body needs to maintain. I maintain now around 2,510 calories...at my highest weight I maintained around 2,900 calories...sucks.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to find out your real tdee

Thank you for the link.
    Was very helpful
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but.

Should be about 0.8-1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass.

Or about 100g minimum.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    OP...I guarantee your TDEE is not 1,500 calories. Your TDEE is all of your activity, including your exercise (X hrs per week). 1500 calories may be your sedentary TDEE - 20%, but in such a scenario you would be doing basically the MFP method anyways and eating your exercise calories back. Pick a method and stick with it...if you're doing TDEE, do TDEE and calculate everything appropriately. If you do MFP, do MFP appropriately and eat back your exercise calories, or at least a good chunk of them.

Yes...you're moving more weight around, thus you will burn more calories. The lighter you get, the less calories your body needs to maintain. I maintain now around 2,510 calories...at my highest weight I maintained around 2,900 calories...sucks.

I followed MFP thus far and I love it. But I posted a question in the forums two days ago and some guy was basically screaming at me in the forums telling me I am destroying my body and all of this other stuff and then said I need to follow TDEE which I had never heard of to that point
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    If you are even lightly active, I calculated your tdee to be 2147, and tdee-20% to be 1718. If you are more active, that number would go up depending on how active you are. I am guessing that there is no way you should be eating below 1700. I would split macros up something like (carbs/fat/protein) 35/30/35, or maybe 40/30/30. If you are lifting weights heavy, I would go for more protein. At least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.

Keep in mind, this is all an estimation. Kind of like bore sighting a rifle. It will get you on paper, but then you have to dial it in. You do this for about 3-4 weeks, then make minor adjustments based on your results.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Here is a good online calculator you might find helpful.

http://iifym.com/IIFYM-calculator/