I cried today

Options

Replies

• jmmnhi
    jmmnhi Posts: 5
    Options
    I know that this is a great accomplishment, I ran more than I walked and I did two miles in 25 min 4 sec which is great considering the fact that I usually do can walk 2 miles in 33 minutes...

Wait... you ran today!!! For the FIRST TIME!!!!!! Whoooooo hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! (yelling on purpose) Way to go!!! You ran. That is a super duper accomplishment. So what if you didn't run as far or as fast as you expected. You did it and that takes major drive. Trying a new workout is a shock to your body. It needs time to adjust. Don't fret, you will get there... just give yourself time.
  • pnubn1
    pnubn1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You should feel very proud. You did something today that many people are afraid to do..or cannot do :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Ok..I cried today too..but not cuz I didn't have a killer run..for another reason, but Guess what I vented and I feel better.
    Aint no shame in releasing build up.
    Plus I think it counts somehow as cals burned, hahahahahaha

Feel better
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I am trying to look on the positive side. I guess I keep comparing myself to people who have been doing it for a while and that is what is discouraging me. I am going to try to stop doing that.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    1) You did awesome for just starting!

2) Just because you can do one thing great doens't mean you can do them all :) I remember before kids when I first got into what I thought was good shape, I was running 5-6 miles, and decided to do the 30 DS. I almost died. More recently I was using Turbo Fire to get back into shape after kids and the first time I ran just 2 miles I thought it was going to kill me. Keep working at it! It doesn't mean what you were doing prior to running didn't do anything for you, it's just something new to get used to.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i just started running. i have never been a runner and started the c25k. you run a min and walk for two. when i was done i sat down and was crying that my shins hurt so bad. but you brush it off and move on.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

― John Bingham
  • m00nshin3r
    Options
    "no matter how fast or slow you are running, you're still lapping everyone on the couch"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That happens. And it's certainly better to do too little as you increase your activity level than to do too much.

Even people who have been running for a while can and do have "off" days. Athletic performance is complex and affected by numerous variables.

ETA: ^ says the guy who is currently treating himself for plantar fascitis. =P
  • rlcumberland
    Options
    Your activity is commendable. Even after running for 5+ years, I still have days like this. Stay hydrated...it will help your muscles while you are running. DON"T GIVE UP!!!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    First, I'm proud of you for getting out there and running. 2, There is nothing wrong with 12.5 min miles. 3, I've ran off & on for many years, and I Never run the whole time, Never have. I don't see why that seems to be such an issue with people. It's not just exercise, it's my life, and I want to enjoy it - stop and take in the view, or look at the baby ponies, or sometimes I just need a breather. So what? I'm not going to make the Olympics? I may not be the fastest, but I do have the most fun.

Go look at yourself in the mirror, make eye contact, and tell yourself what a great job you did today.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Feel glad you have legs to run with, then get better with them.

I'm proud you tried. Try harder.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally get where you are coming from! I did a mud run for fun a couple weeks ago, and it was a 5K. I had completed all of three weeks on the C25K program and the weather went to crap, so I took it inside, thinking g the elliptical would be a suitable substitution. Boy was I wrong! I made it at a nice steady jog for maybe 2-3 minutes at the 5K, and I wanted to die. I was disgusted with myself, angry because I held my whole team back, etc. I viewed it as an epic fail, initially. But I finished. In 47 minutes, but we finished as a team.

The thing is...even though it wasn't guts and glory, it WAS frigging guts, because running isn't for wussies! So for you? It wasn't a fail in the least! You should be super proud that you can run as far as you do! I re-start week 2 of C25K tomorrow, and the idea of going a minute and a half is a little intimidating. Again. So I admire you for running in the time frames that you did!

You are totally kicking the tails of those who are either scared of or have no desire to get off the couch :flowerforyou:
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    A bad run is better than no run! Beer proud u do it at all! Do your best forget the rest :)
  • mrty953
    mrty953 Posts: 26
    Options
    I think you did very well on your exercise today and only wish I could run however don't see that happening anytime soon . I do try and walk at least three miles a day . Seems you are loosing your weight to so you must be doing something right. Good Luck
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    comparing myself to people who have been doing it for a while..

The only thing to compare yourself to is the version of you that went to sleep last night. Who you are today, what you did today... better or worse version of the person who went to sleep last night?

That's all that matters.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Running is whole different ball game when it comes to exercise. I went at it full force in the beginning and felt the same way....been working out with kickboxing and intense circuit for months, but it is just different and it was a let down the first few times that I did not make good distance. One good piece of advice that my trainer gave me was to set the pace at 5.2mph and try to build up distance then speed and that helped alot. You will get there and you already took the first step which is beginning so just keep going and build up to it and in no time you will be running further than you thought you could. Hang in there.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    YES and it's okay! I've cried a few times during workouts before when my performance wasn't as good as I felt it should've been. Sometimes we just have bad workout days, and sometimes they are amazing. Don't give up!
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Don't worry! Even people who have been running forever have bad days where every step is a struggle.

You have accomplished so much! More than most other people, and more than your past self!
  • llabbott77
    Options
    I think you should be quite satisfied with your results. Let's put a little perspective on this Army Rangers Physical Fitness requirements are a 2 mile run in 15 minutes (these guys are supposed to be in peak physical condition). On your first run you did 2 miles in 25 minutes. I'd say congratulate yourself!

A 2 mile run in 15 minutes is a great goal to set for yourself. But 2 miles in 25 minutes is a very good start considering you haven't spent the last 3 months in basic training.