What do you think of Anytime Fitness?

Options
There's an anytime fitness by my house that is $30ish per month. I could go to a place 25 min away for $10 per month, but to me the convenience is worth the extra money.

I always see people bashing Planet Fitness, and I just want to make sure Anytime Fitness doesn't have a bad reputation either.

Replies

• LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered the possibility of working out at home? There are many advantages to doing so such as convenience, cost effective among others. There are many fitness programs available that would probably peak your interest. I don't have an opinion on either one of those fitness memberships because I do home workout programs. Take care and have a nice day.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Is it so terrible to just jump it and see how you like it? Everyone wants something difference.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at home outside but I still would like to use a traditional gym for lifting.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of Anytime Fitness. There are a bunch of other fitness centers in my town but I got the AF membership for a couple of reasons: 1.) it's open 24 hours 2.) I travelled a lot and thought I would hit AF whenever I was on the road. However, I usually ended up just working out in the hotel gym. The gym is pretty nice - standard cardio and weight equipment. The bathrooms/showers are clean (side note: I would still wear shower slippers because I knew someone who got a huge and painful plantars wart at the swimming pool). It's never too crowded so you can usually get on a machine right away.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd go and visit, take a look around and talk to someone. See if they have the equipment and other amenities you like. My bff uses an anytime fitness and likes it, the one by me is too expensive. I go to planet fitness which I was fine with until I started weight lifting and now I regret it since they don't have squat racks or oly bars. I'm too lazy to work out at home, I tend to talk myself out of it, but if I go to the gym I get stuff done!
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's not my cup of tea but my fiance liked it there. a cardio equipment is nice. Few weight machines and medicine balls but no free weights
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that's also $30 but I get unlimited classes. :)
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's not my cup of tea but my fiance liked it there. a cardio equipment is nice. Few weight machines and medicine balls but no free weights

It must vary location to location, I am a member and have seen 5 locations ranging from awesome modern cardio equipment good free weights, machines and private shower/changing rooms, to broken worn out equipment with a few pink dumbells and moldy shower/locker rooms. You really will need to check it out yourself to see what your location offers.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love the Anytime Fitness near me. Good cardio selection, nice universal weight equipment, and lots of free weights. Not usually crowded but everyone I've met there is really friendly. It's not like a meat or grunt market either like I've seen at some gyms.

They've partnered with the Zumba place two stores down strip mall and offer discounted classes there. They also have a bunch of other classes on-site, even a kids class they hold once a month. Kids aren't usually allowed in, so this seems really cool. I haven't been able to talk my kids into going yet but you never know. I guess the selection of equipment and weights depends on the individual franchise.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

It must vary location to location, I am a member and have seen 5 locations ranging from awesome modern cardio equipment good free weights, machines and private shower/changing rooms, to broken worn out equipment with a few pink dumbells and moldy shower/locker rooms. You really will need to check it out yourself to see what your location offers.

This. The one I signed up at/in my town is great and has most everything you can imagine. Then others I've been to, not so much.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    one near my place had a free trial, i would advise taking up this offer if its available at the one near you.

it was enough for me to decide i didnt want to go there - there was not a single bench press in the place.

but it comes down to your goals and preferences :)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I do cardio at home outside but I still would like to use a traditional gym for lifting.

If you lift, then go to Anytime Fitness. Don't do Planet Fitness. It is designed primarily for cardio. They usually have some cable machines and fixed bars and dumbbells that go up to 60 pounds only. If you are a serious lifter, then you will need more than that. No barbells at all, no squat racks, and no deadlifting. What the hey.....no deadlifting!?!?!?

I've only been to Anytime Fitness twice when I was visiting family and I loved it. The one that I visited had a great weight room, three squat racks and some of the friendliest staff I've encountered....and I wasn't expecting that at a gym that big.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to both PF and AF. I prefer the AF since it's smaller and feels more welcoming. I always feel like a cow when I go to PF because it's just so big and everything is all lined up and such.

I would recommend doing a 7day trial to Anytime. They have a trial pass you can get.

http://www.anytimefitness.com/

Also, for me the gas would make up the difference and then some to get to the PF if I lived farther away.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband and I belong to Anytime Fitness and absolutely love it! Great staff, clean, lots of cardio machines and plenty of free weights. I love lifting heavy!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have visited and they have everything I need. And I've googled it but I wanted to make sure it didn't have a bad reputation or something like that.
  • rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I go to one sometimes with a friend. The equipment is okay, but the one where I live has an awful locker / shower room and it's a little dirty.