So what do the kids eat...?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Reading thru this thread I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? I basically still cook the same as always only now I'm cooking a bit lighter version, watching my portions, and cutting down on my carbs (I was a severe addict!). So my family enjoys dinnertime same as usual.

Have others seriously changed their menus? If so, how? (btw I'm obviously new around here!).

Nothing wrong with that at all - I haven't made drastic changes to how I cook, or feed my family. We were doing pretty well to begin with. I've only made small 'tweaks'. My weight gain had a lot more to do with my non-meal time foods (not so much actual meals)
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have to say I realized pretty early on that if I didn't make a big deal of what we were eating was different from before my son didn't say anything. Granted he is 2 but we eat together most nights at the table, he usually cleans his plate and for the most part stays away from carbs and junk...he had treats but it's usually away from the house. Like yesterday he was at my sister's so he got pizza and soda, I don't give him either when we are home or even if we are out but he knows that once in a while he gets a treat. Feeding kids different then you eat isn't always best for them.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Whatever the adults eat.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, my son eats what I eat for dinner. He has his own lunches for school, and his own cereal for breakfast. On the weekends, we usually go out at least one night.

I try to get him healthy food for his lunches / breakfast. I don't allow nutrient deficient, sugar loaded foods into the house, but I do allow him cookies and ice cream if he wants them - provided his behavior is good! lol

We buy chips, but I don't consider them bad. They've got good fats in them. He's allowed 1 frozen dinner a week, if that, because he likes them, and spaghettios or Chef Boyardee in a can once a week if he wants, because he likes it and it's convenient.

I don't think I should force every aspect of my diet and health on my family - but if I'm cooking, I'm doing it for me as well. I take into consideration what they like too, but I've made them cut down on salt a bit since I've also done that, and just cooking dinner most nights has helped with eating healthier all around. You can still cook what they like, just make healthy substitutes where you can without sacrificing flavor, and eat smaller portions if you have to so everyone is happy. :) It's not a big deal.

We still eat meatloaf, burgers, spaghetti, pan fried chicken (boneless, skinless, breaded, delicious) and I incorporate fresh veggies and fruits into everything when I can. There is the occasional night of canned soup and grilled cheese or tuna salad, frozen pizza or delivered pizza - but like I said, for the most part, we eat healthy dinners together, and that is what I'm most concerned with. The biggest improvement is not eating fast food every week, multiple times a week. lol :)
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hesitant to give your kids spicy food - my daughter is two and has no problem eating whatever we are eating. We're Indian, and she eats the same food as we do. If it's uncomfortably hot for me I won't give her to her, but she can handle, easily "medium" spicy at a thai or indian place, and even some things that I would classify as "hot".
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well with the healthy eating. Went shopping yesteday loaded up with fresh veggies, beans, quinoa. prepped a bunch of healthy recipes and then thought... And now what are the kids going to eat?! (and my husband remarked-where are the chips?) Sure they'll eat fresh veggies and fruit, but probably not Quinoa or Niciose Salad. So how do you integrate the family eating with your own?
    2 seperate meals? And keep buying those snacks?

How old are your kids? It's never too early to introduce foods to kids and I'm a little saddened by the fact that you would think you need to not feed them the same way. My kids both have celiac disease and quinoa is one of their favorite foods, breakfast or lunch, or dinner, doesn't matter. Don't sell your kids short, encourage them to eat it.
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    We all eat the same thing. The only time we make anything different is if we have fish, but then we make fish sticks for the kids. It doesn't hurt for the kids to learn to eat healthy too!

That's true...it is good to teach your kids to eat healthy. My boyfriends son is 7 and we we have dinner he eats healthy too. His favorite thing is salad. Though I will make the occasional chicken nuggets and we make english muffin pizzas to change it up a bit. Overall, he eats really healthy. No snack are really in the house either...we do make kale chips and sweet potato rounds for a snack.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My son is a preteen. He has always been super picky. REALLY picky. He will eat quinoa though. lol So you never know. He fixes his own breakfast and lunch, but everyone has the same (generally) healthy dinner. When we have pasta, I do shirataki or spaghetti squash, and the guys have real pasta. Or when we have tacos, I make myself a taco salad instead. But aside from those easy sort of substitutions, dinner is take it or leave it. We do require that he eats at least a couple bites of the protein in his dinner.

My son does Lucky Charms or other crappy sugar-laden cereal for breakfast, and mac and cheese or mini pizzas for lunch most days. We've required recently that he at least includes some fruit in there for fiber. When I try to get him to eat salads, etc with me, he generally does not eat at all. I can get him to drink protein shakes with me. I've reached a point where I've tried pretty much all the advice from ppl over the years (making cute lunches, calling the food cool names, only giving the kid whatever we eat, mixing the brown and white rice together, whatever). I swear most of the ppl who give this advice have never had a *truly* picky eater. (But I'm sure it is fun to judge if you are not dealing with this personally, or if you were blessed to have children who grew out of it.) My kid is almost 10, he barely weighs 55 lbs soaking wet. He has always been very low on his growth curve (bobbing between the third to tenth percentile). Husband and I mutually decided we'd rather have him eat some calories, any calories than continually have him skip meals and fall off his growth curve. Son says he plans on being the smart and funny guy to get girls to like him, not the big and strong guy, so he feels that he is all set. lol

His pediatrician says that he will eventually make better food choices because he always sees his parents making good choices. I'm not so sure about that, I feel that that should have happened by now. I don't anticipate this getting better when he enters his teen years. Either way, this does not affect my weight loss (and now maintenance). At least I am setting a good example.

This is my son almost to a T (minus quinoa and he does love meat). He's 13 and 85 lbs...tall and a skinny minny. He was always in the lowest weight % and when he was a baby docs always told me he was too skinny and too fatten him up (one said give him all the Haagen Daaz he wants). He's in the 40% now for weight and 95% height - bones, skin and a little muscle. My son only eats one veggie - baked sweet potato fries. Believe me I've tried hiding veggies in other foods, etc. He can smell pretty much any kind of veggie a mile away. For him, smell and texture are HUGE turnoffs and always have been. I still vividly remember when he was 2 yrs old and Grandpa offered him 6 peas with his roast beef. He ate the beef first and then the peas and immediately vomited them and the beef up. My poor dad felt awful and said "well won't try that one for a while!" Another time at 4 yrs old, a bean made it into his taco and same thing - took a bite and vomited everything up...he told me later "that bean was stuck on my tongue." It was like an automatic gag reflex.

Yes sometimes I want to pull my hair out or cry. I've tried to balance out our dinners during the week so that we eat pretty much the same main dish about 4 nights/week with different side dishes, but there are times where I'm craving a HUGE salad or big bowl of sweet potato carrot ginger soup and hell would freeze over before he would eat either of those. Most of our main dishes are just grilled beef, chicken pork, or fish and side dishes are grilled or roasted veggies and some kind of pasta. I usually skip the pasta.

My accomplishment this past couple of months is that he is eating a ton more fruit than he used to. I've been better at putting fresh RIPE fruit all over the place - in snacks, huge fruit plates while we're waiting for dinner to be served, etc. We both learned that we love fresh pears. I'm not going to lie - I do buy some processed snacks for his school lunch sides, but I'm picky about those snacks; I try to buy stuff with the fewest ingredients, additives, and no hydrogenated oils. Snacks at home usually are leftovers that have to be reheated.

Thank you for sharing this because I've read all the other posts and was thinking "jeez it's just me with a kid who won't eat ANYTHING." And thanks to the other posters because even after 12 years of living with someone I thought was the pickiest eater on earth, I'm going to try some of your tips, some of which I've tried before with no success but hey today is a new day.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    My kids eat what I eat, as does my husband.

I've learned if I don't LET them have what they want they eventually come around. But our house has pretty much always been an eat what you're served house. There are a few things each of us really dislike, so we just steer clear of those things all together.
  • dieuwket
    dieuwket Posts: 5
    Options
    i do fix something a little different for my kids, not crap, just different. They eat pretty healthy food, but their repetoire is a bit limited. They love carrots, broccoli, peas, corn etc but i like to try different veggies. So i will fix two veg, but make them try mine as well. if i make mashed potatoes which they love, i will just have a very little bit....and then there are some meals that we all eat the exact same.....works differently every day....
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    i do fix something a little different for my kids, not crap, just different. They eat pretty healthy food, but their repetoire is a bit limited. They love carrots, broccoli, peas, corn etc but i like to try different veggies. So i will fix two veg, but make them try mine as well. if i make mashed potatoes which they love, i will just have a very little bit....and then there are some meals that we all eat the exact same.....works differently every day....

Yeah, this! Our five year old can puke on command, so making him eat something he doesn't like doesn't end well for mama. And our 6 year old has a very scientific mind, so he will eat nutritious stuff when we explain it, but he has some texture issues. Neither kid will eat peanut butter, for pete's sake! They don't like many condiments or sauces, so they get a plain version of the meat for the meal, plain steamed veggies and some sort of carb. I often make them some sort of frozen taters, because who doesn't love a tater tot? I just skip 'em. We do have a "eat your age" rule, though. Five year old has to take five bites of whatever I put on his plate. Six year old has to take six. And if they don't eat at least that, dinner comes back out as their bedtime snack. They do like ice cream, popcorn, Little Debbie cakes, but they don't get those as a snack unless I've seen healthy stuff eaten first. If they have a banana or some Wheat Thins with cheese and are STILL hungry, I let them have a cookie. I didn't get fat from a cookie for snack. I got fat from lack of exercise and too much fast food. I won't deprive them of the fun stuff from youth. But I won't let them eat Hardee's six times a week like I did growing up!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My children eat the same as me 9 times out of ten. They eat brown rice, wholewheat pasta, they love fish and veggies. They don't like quinoa but that's not a big deal.... it's not hard to boil them some rice or cous cous in another pan/bowl. If you're eating proper food and having a balanced diet then surely the kids should be eating it as well? It's only going to benefit them. If however, you're one of these crazy juicing chicks who lives on juice and protein shakes... I'd say NO, feed them chips!
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm pretty blessed. My kids LOVE all of that. I don't have a hard time getting them to try new things or liking new things. If they do however dislike something...I compromise. My daughter dislikes asparagus so she will get homemade applesauce instead. Still good and healthy.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I don't make my kid eat what I eat.
    She is 8, making her eat what I eat would be cruel.
    She's so young and strong and happy...and she eats steak, mac and cheese, veggies..almost everyday
    I prepare separate meals for us, and Its fine with me..She's an easy kid.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My son has Aspergers and is a very picky eater. single ingredient foods, no veggies, very limited. His diet consists of chicken nuggets, fries, fish sticks, vienna sausages, flour tortillas with cheese melted in them, pepperoni pizza, plain hot dogs, chips, and grapes or oranges, or watermelon. And scrambled eggs, ham and cheese , or peanut butter sandwiches. All very easy to fix meals. So yeah, most of the time I fix him a separate dinner from my husband and I. But it has been this way for most of his life, so no difference there.

We do supplement his diet with multivitamins, and he is extremely healthy.

We have a son with Autism, so I do something similar. However my son won't eat half of the things she listed! I try to get him to try things, but honestly his sensory issues just are too much. So I will make him and PB&J and our youngest will eat what I make, parts of it anyways....most of the time.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My kids are 4 and almost 2 years old. My 4 year old eats like a bird and is so stubborn and every meal is a freaking struggle. I always serve dinner as whatever I have made for the meal. Often my 2 year old will eat parts of it, but some nights she tries it and wants nothing to do with it. My 4 year old just looks at it and declares "I am only eating the carrots" or something like that. She's so annoying and when we make her try one bite she often literally gags, like a reflex but she must be acting right?
    I really have tried to be a hard-*kitten* and have sent her to bed when she's eaten nothing several times but it's often a nightmare because she turns into a monster (from hunger I am guessing:)) .

A lot of times I give in because it really does ruin the whole night for everyone. If she is complaining that she is hungry she gets yogurt, peanut butter toast or a banana. Sometimes I give her cereal with milk which I know is not good because it what she wants but I guess I feel like I have to pick my battles. Sometimes if I am making something I know either of them will eat I make them chicken nuggets.

I wish every night could be taco night. Always such a happy dinner time!

I am hoping once they are a bit older, like school age I can be more firm and then they'll be eating what is served.

We have a very similar situation with 4 and almost 2 year old boys. My 2 year old eats everything in sight, whether it is our food or "kid food". 4 year eats like a bird. He eats a decent variety of food, plenty of fruit, yogurt, cheese, raw carrots, raw broccoli, frozen peas (still frozen - my kids always love those we call them pea popsicles), lima beans (still figuring out where that came from but he loves them). Protein wise - grilled chicken, sometimes pork tenderloin, hamburger, occaisionally salmon or tilapia. Kid food - all the usuals: mac and cheese, grilled cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, PB&J, fish sticks. My issue is that he doesn't eat more than a few bites of anything, even the stuff he loves. He will take a bite of a cookie and ask if he can save the rest for later. So I stress more about the quantity of food that he eats, and figure if it is 5 bites of macaroni and cheese, or 2 bites of stir fry, I'd rather give him the mac and cheese, even though it may be the less healthy choice. That may not be the best answer, but it is what we struggle with. We are trying to give up on the "just one more bite" or "stop talking and start eating" nagging at dinner time because it makes the whole meal so unpleasant for all at the table. Trying to make it so that he just gets what is in front of him, and when everyone else is done eating, he has to get up too, even if he only took one bite of something. It is hard though!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My son is a preteen. He has always been super picky. REALLY picky. He will eat quinoa though. lol So you never know. He fixes his own breakfast and lunch, but everyone has the same (generally) healthy dinner. When we have pasta, I do shirataki or spaghetti squash, and the guys have real pasta. Or when we have tacos, I make myself a taco salad instead. But aside from those easy sort of substitutions, dinner is take it or leave it. We do require that he eats at least a couple bites of the protein in his dinner.

My son does Lucky Charms or other crappy sugar-laden cereal for breakfast, and mac and cheese or mini pizzas for lunch most days. We've required recently that he at least includes some fruit in there for fiber. When I try to get him to eat salads, etc with me, he generally does not eat at all. I can get him to drink protein shakes with me. I've reached a point where I've tried pretty much all the advice from ppl over the years (making cute lunches, calling the food cool names, only giving the kid whatever we eat, mixing the brown and white rice together, whatever). I swear most of the ppl who give this advice have never had a *truly* picky eater. (But I'm sure it is fun to judge if you are not dealing with this personally, or if you were blessed to have children who grew out of it.) My kid is almost 10, he barely weighs 55 lbs soaking wet. He has always been very low on his growth curve (bobbing between the third to tenth percentile). Husband and I mutually decided we'd rather have him eat some calories, any calories than continually have him skip meals and fall off his growth curve. Son says he plans on being the smart and funny guy to get girls to like him, not the big and strong guy, so he feels that he is all set. lol

His pediatrician says that he will eventually make better food choices because he always sees his parents making good choices. I'm not so sure about that, I feel that that should have happened by now. I don't anticipate this getting better when he enters his teen years. Either way, this does not affect my weight loss (and now maintenance). At least I am setting a good example.

This is my son almost to a T (minus quinoa and he does love meat). He's 13 and 85 lbs...tall and a skinny minny. He was always in the lowest weight % and when he was a baby docs always told me he was too skinny and too fatten him up (one said give him all the Haagen Daaz he wants). He's in the 40% now for weight and 95% height - bones, skin and a little muscle. My son only eats one veggie - baked sweet potato fries. Believe me I've tried hiding veggies in other foods, etc. He can smell pretty much any kind of veggie a mile away. For him, smell and texture are HUGE turnoffs and always have been. I still vividly remember when he was 2 yrs old and Grandpa offered him 6 peas with his roast beef. He ate the beef first and then the peas and immediately vomited them and the beef up. My poor dad felt awful and said "well won't try that one for a while!" Another time at 4 yrs old, a bean made it into his taco and same thing - took a bite and vomited everything up...he told me later "that bean was stuck on my tongue." It was like an automatic gag reflex.

Yes sometimes I want to pull my hair out or cry. I've tried to balance out our dinners during the week so that we eat pretty much the same main dish about 4 nights/week with different side dishes, but there are times where I'm craving a HUGE salad or big bowl of sweet potato carrot ginger soup and hell would freeze over before he would eat either of those. Most of our main dishes are just grilled beef, chicken pork, or fish and side dishes are grilled or roasted veggies and some kind of pasta. I usually skip the pasta.

My accomplishment this past couple of months is that he is eating a ton more fruit than he used to. I've been better at putting fresh RIPE fruit all over the place - in snacks, huge fruit plates while we're waiting for dinner to be served, etc. We both learned that we love fresh pears. I'm not going to lie - I do buy some processed snacks for his school lunch sides, but I'm picky about those snacks; I try to buy stuff with the fewest ingredients, additives, and no hydrogenated oils. Snacks at home usually are leftovers that have to be reheated.

Thank you for sharing this because I've read all the other posts and was thinking "jeez it's just me with a kid who won't eat ANYTHING." And thanks to the other posters because even after 12 years of living with someone I thought was the pickiest eater on earth, I'm going to try some of your tips, some of which I've tried before with no success but hey today is a new day.

YES! My 4 year old is on the small side too, and as I said, he does eat some variety, but because he has always been under twentieth percentile for weight, I am more inclined to let him eat grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner because he likes it, even if it means I am making two dinners. I do try to always put some of what we are eating on his plate too, and I ask him to please try everything but I don't force him to eat bites because I want dinner to be enjoyable for everyone and fighting with him to try something, then watching him get all worked up about it, then ask to spit it back out when he puts it in his mouth is no fun for anyone! It is so stressful and I do like reading the suggestions but I do think that just saying, "only give them what you are eating" is not feasible in every situation.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My kids are 14 and 18. If they don't want to eat what we make (both my husband and I cook), then they can make what they want (and clean up after themselves as well). I don't run a restaurant.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I don't make my son go on a diet just because I have. I think that's wrong. However, my son eats quinoa and veggies and your meal would not be one I would consider a "diet" meal. However, i'm eating high protein and low carb and that's not right for my child. So what do I do? I make us different meals.

I think this is something everyone has to figure out for themselves.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Finding this interesting. I haven't read through every single reply, but a lot of you seem to be quite fortunate that the family will happily eat the same as you.

My kids are now older, but I must say that I have generally made separate stuff for them. To be honest, I would have thought that some of the very low calorie stuff is not neccessarily the best for growing children. Or it should at least be supplemented with a bit of something extra.

And as for hubby, he would not touch most of my diet-friendly meals! He's definitely more fussy than the kids. Having said that, he's quite happy to prepare his own food, so there isn't really any extra hassle involved for me. We both work un-typical hours, so family mealtimes don't happen every day anyway.

The main problem with eating differently from each other is the expense! :frown: