Three Month Plateau frustrated and seeking help!

Options
2»

Replies

• curvymomo3
    curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    BMR= OH oops! lookin in the wrong place lol according to Harris B my BMR= 1637 so that would make my TDEE ( multiply .80) = 1309 ( gosh this is awefuly confusing for some reason! I need to go back and read that thread again or something lol!)

quote]
    TDEE- 20% isn't for everyone. That might be too much for you. You should read this link, it explains everything.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

if you have any questions after this, just ask.

thank you for all the knowledge I really don't know what the crap I am doing lol! this is very helpful actually. according to the website BMR my BMR is 2012 and multiplying that by .80 gave me 1609..

is 2,012 your BMR or TDEE? BMR is the minimal calories that your body uses to just function. TDEE is the full amount of calories that your body uses on average day of activity. For instance, my BMR is 1,580 and my TDEE is 2,070, so TDEE -20% would be 1,656 calories per day.
    [/quote]
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    correction: according to MFP BMR it says I am : 1540 and I went on another site and found my TDEE : 2243. so multiply TDEE by .80 ( I fall into catagory three 37% body fat = 1794.4
    BMR= OH oops! lookin in the wrong place lol according to Harris B my BMR= 1637 so that would make my TDEE ( multiply .80) = 1309 ( gosh this is awefuly confusing for some reason! I need to go back and read that thread again or something lol!)

quote]
    TDEE- 20% isn't for everyone. That might be too much for you. You should read this link, it explains everything.

thank you for all the knowledge I really don't know what the crap I am doing lol! this is very helpful actually. according to the website BMR my BMR is 2012 and multiplying that by .80 gave me 1609..

is 2,012 your BMR or TDEE? BMR is the minimal calories that your body uses to just function. TDEE is the full amount of calories that your body uses on average day of activity. For instance, my BMR is 1,580 and my TDEE is 2,070, so TDEE -20% would be 1,656 calories per day.
    [/quote]
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I so 100% agree with this forum. I started out on a plateau for 1 month was same weight and couldn't shake it. I followed this for just 1 day and dropped 5lbs and I am still loosing, using this forum ( about 3 weeks now) I have totaled a loss of 8lbs!! were before I couldn't drop a .2 or anything.. So I am 100% for this and it makes it so easy knowing I don't need to eat back my exercise calories so I can workout later instead of in the morning were I would then need to plan my meals around what I exercised.. I mean one day with MFP way I would have needed to eat 2,000 calories!! FORGET ABOUT THAT!! with this I just need to be in the 1200-1839 range and my body looses weight :D!!
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    about 1800 sounds reasonable for the lifestyle and stats you have described here.
    Bear in mind, now, when you target 1800/day, you will no longer log or eat back exercise calories. They are already a part of your 1800.
    I'd advise keeping things simple for now, get through finals (right there with you), then put more of your attention into minimizing stressors, eating better and lifting. Maybe find some fun new activity to do over summer to increase your exercise even more! If so, recalculate your TDEE to account for that.
    You'll break this plateau. Hang in there.
  • tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2243 -20% would be 1795. Not sure if you calculated that on sedentary or lightly active. But if on lightly active then you DON'T eat back exercise calories. They are already calculated into your calories. For instance, I eat 1700 calories a day and currently weigh rougly 165 lbs. I rarely work out on that numbe of calories but I am pretty active with work, 2 kids and I clean my house ALOT and do yard work. I am doing the 30 DS now so I could actually up to 1900 calories a day cause I would be more in the moderate activity level and still lose fat and inches. You have probably been gaining because you are eating over TDEE.
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    so lemme get this straight.... I changed mfp goal to lightly active exercise 3 days a week for 20 min and I just eat that.. I dont eat any exercise cals whatsoever? even if I exercise extra?? cuz I think that could have totally been my problem! I perhaps was confused! :D so according to MFP my goal is to eat 1540 per day is that okay? and I DON"T eat any exercise calories ( say I go for a 30 min bike ride today?)
    If your TDEE is 2243 -20% would be 1795. Not sure if you calculated that on sedentary or lightly active. But if on lightly active then you DON'T eat back exercise calories. They are already calculated into your calories. For instance, I eat 1700 calories a day and currently weigh rougly 165 lbs. I rarely work out on that numbe of calories but I am pretty active with work, 2 kids and I clean my house ALOT and do yard work. I am doing the 30 DS now so I could actually up to 1900 calories a day cause I would be more in the moderate activity level and still lose fat and inches. You have probably been gaining because you are eating over TDEE.
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, Did you keep a food diary every day? I am trying to do that. If you did, why not go back and look at those first 2-4 weeks on the plan & just say I'm going to do those days over? DO NOT GIVE UP! You don't want to gain all your weight back I know. Hope this helps. We're all in this battle together.
  • tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    You have MFP confused with TDEE. MFP takes into account you eating back exercise calories. TDEE incorporates your activity level into the calories. Go to: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and calculate your TDEE. Put in your current weight and your goal weight as your current weight as well. When you get to the next page it will give you your TDEE towards the bottom based on your activity level. For instance, I weight 165 lbs and I am 5'6" and my body fat is rougly 39%. It gives me for lightly active a TDEE of 2113. So -20% of that is 1691 calories/day for me. So since I selected lighlty active, i do not track cleaning the house, basic yard work or small walks or exercise that doesn't occur more then 3 times a week. When I was running and burning over 500 calories each time, I used moderately active. You could always select the sedentary number and subtract 20% from that then eat back exercise calories. I did that but honestly, I am losing better doing the lighly active. So its your call there.
    so lemme get this straight.... I changed mfp goal to lightly active exercise 3 days a week for 20 min and I just eat that.. I dont eat any exercise cals whatsoever? even if I exercise extra?? cuz I think that could have totally been my problem! I perhaps was confused! :D so according to MFP my goal is to eat 1540 per day is that okay? and I DON"T eat any exercise calories ( say I go for a 30 min bike ride today?)
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    oooh I see now where my confusion lies... perhaps I should just stick to MFP's thingabob.. the whole TDEE stuff is way uber confusing to me.. I lost the first 30 on MFP and I know it works.. now here is the question.. to eat those exercise calories or not..
    cause I do weight train three times per week and walk. I already accounted for three 20 min workout sessions into my MFP goal.. do I count each workout session or not? gah why so cooonffuuusing??!!!??
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If using the MFP method, you have to be sure you're not over-inflating the calories burned from exercise as some of the other people have said. I've read over and over that MFP generic estimates on calories burned walking, doing a particular cardio machine, etc., are inflated. I myself don't wear a heart rate monitor or a body media to try to get a better estimate of calories burned (those can have flaws too), but I am very conservative and often will often take off calories from a given MFP estimate. I also use perceived effort to help me decide if I even came close to that number MFP might give. I've read posts where the person might only eat back 50% to 75% of their calories under the MFP method to take into account the inflation of the exercise calories burned.
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    okay.. I got 1632 soooo.... this is what I should be eating PLUS exercise calories to get things rolling? ( sorry all the dumb questions lol I promise I am really intelligent just not in the field of health/ calories etc. lol)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yep. 1632, and anything you burn.

Although like others have said, sometimes MFP exaggerates. If a new exercise is added for one person, then the next time it's used, it just uses the same formula for everyone. While it varies between people, it's not as accurate as it could be.
    I tend to eat about 45% of my cals back, but I know that I have the other 15% if I am hungry.

Does that make sense?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    MFPs numbers for exercise aren't just a little inflated. I've seen them be easily double the estimates seen elsewhere. When I use the mfp database for exercise I log less time and only eat back about half what it says I earned .
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you eat at BMR, you should eat your exercise cals back.
    If you eat TDEE -20%, then you don't need to.

^^ This helped me out of my 3 month stall. I set my minimum cals at 100 over BMR (1760 for me) and just eat back 50-75% of my workout calories. Hang in there, never give in! :wink:
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    okay.. I got 1632 soooo.... this is what I should be eating PLUS exercise calories to get things rolling? ( sorry all the dumb questions lol I promise I am really intelligent just not in the field of health/ calories etc. lol)

Yes, don't go under 1632 and eat back most of your workout calories. If you go by MPF estimates, I'd say only eat back 50-75% of those workout calories. I say this only cuz I've found them to be over estimated on my workouts. That's just me, some might find different. I also adjusted my macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fats... made a huge difference. I had a hard time getting in enough protein so I just added a shake a day. Hope it works for you!
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    Yep. 1632, and anything you burn.

Although like others have said, sometimes MFP exaggerates. If a new exercise is added for one person, then the next time it's used, it just uses the same formula for everyone. While it varies between people, it's not as accurate as it could be.
    I tend to eat about 45% of my cals back, but I know that I have the other 15% if I am hungry.

Does that make sense?

actually YES this does make sense :D I have been naturally doing that actually. Even with the churches ladies tea party, and a get together with friends on Sunday.. :D ty for your tip!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You should NOT be at sedentary..
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    If you eat at BMR, you should eat your exercise cals back.
    If you eat TDEE -20%, then you don't need to.

Thank you for the encouragement :D I trust you guys you have been through the fire! LOL NOT GIVING IN! :D

^^ This helped me out of my 3 month stall. I set my minimum cals at 100 over BMR (1760 for me) and just eat back 50-75% of my workout calories. Hang in there, never give in! :wink:
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    You should NOT be at sedentary..

I changed it to lightly active. I am actually always up on my feet cleaning/cooking/ chasing my three lil monkies, doing something! I am hoping this swap will help soon!