Realistic goal

Options
I just found out that Disney is adding a 10K to Princess weekend next year. I am a walker at best and don't really have a desire to walk. I'm thinking of doing the 10k + the 1/2 (Saturday/Sunday). Is this a completely unrealistic goal? I won't be running - race/speed walking at best if I can learn how. To help with any answers I will say I am 55, have 100 to final goal so I'm not small. I would appreciate any advice or help anyone can give. I know they are just opinions.

Thanks

Replies

• loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump just to see if my timing was off
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think if you do the couch 2 5k program (C25k) it will help you prepare for this. Make sure that you keep active. Check out the requirements for each race. Some will have time limits. For example, the half marathon I'm doing this Saturday has a time limit of 4 hours. Once you start walking/jogging/running you sort of get into this phase of being unsure of what you are doing. Trust me, after a while you will feel different about it. Remember, this is something that should be fun. If you are going to do both then be careful to not overdo it. It's great that you have lots of time to prepare for this. You will need it. Good luck. I hope you find this somewhat helpful.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do both of them. I would choose 1 and work towards it. If you start now you could even run it! Couch to 5K or Couch to 10K are good programs to start with. You could walk/speed walk instead of walk/run if you wanted to.

PS: The princess half marathon has a time limit of 16 minute/mile and if you walk slower than that they will pick you up off and you won't be able to finish it.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do both of them. I would choose 1 and work towards it. If you start now you could even run it! Couch to 5K or Couch to 10K are good programs to start with. You could walk/speed walk instead of walk/run if you wanted to.

PS: The princess half marathon has a time limit of 16 minute/mile and if you walk slower than that they will pick you up off and you won't be able to finish it.
    I was going to say the same. You could probably do it, but it would probably be best to pick one and focus on it.