Cooking in oil, now much to count?

Options
MonaRN81
MonaRN81 Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone
So tonight for supper im roasting chicken breasts, carrots, squash and mushrooms together. There are 3 breasts and a bunch of veggies. I added about 5 tbsps of olive oil to coat. How much olive oil do you think one would consume eating a breast and some veggies?? I know alot ends up in the drippings at the bottom but have no clue how much to count. 1 tbsp??

Replies

• MonaRN81
    Options
    That's suppose to be "how much to count". It wont let me edit it.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If the total ends up being three servings, i would divide the 5 tbls by 3 and add that into my log. I just assume none is lost in the process.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    So tonight for supper im roasting chicken breasts, carrots, squash and mushrooms together. There are 3 breasts and a bunch of veggies. I added about 5 tbsps of olive oil to coat. How much olive oil do you think one would consume eating a breast and some veggies?? I know alot ends up in the drippings at the bottom but have no clue how much to count. 1 tbsp??

I collect the drippings and measure how much and deduct from how much I used.
  • MonaRN81
    Options
    Yes that is three servings, well I'll probably only have half a chicken breast, but for 3 people. But I also know that not all the oil makes it in as it is visible in the bottom. But I guess some of that could be from the chicken too. I wish there were a way of knowing this for sure! I like to count very accurately!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    This is asked on here a lot. I count most of it just to be safe. So if you eat 1 chicken breast and some veggies, I'd say that's a third of the meal which is 1.66 tbsp of oil, so I would probably put 1.5 tbsp of oil into MFP. You could also just look at the food after it's cooked and see if most of the oil is absorbed into the food or if most of it dripped off onto the pan and estimate from there.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to overestimate.

Unless you're guessing someone's weight.
  • MonaRN81
    Options
    Ohhh measuring what's left is good! Dont know why I didnt think of that.
  • MonaRN81
    Options
    D'oh! I should have searched for it. Sorry if this is an annoying reoccurring question! :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Either measure what's left in the bottom of the pan or don't (I vote don't, just count the whole amount you added)

Main benefit will be from doing it the same way over time; that way your process is consistent.
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ohhh measuring what's left is good! Dont know why I didnt think of that.

While that maybe the most accurate way, the chicken and vegetables are going lose water and that will be mixed in with the oil that you are seeing. I would not deduct the full amount leftover from the original amount.