Wii Fit?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before, and probably a lot but I can't find any topics!

What are people's opinions on the wii fit. Is it worth buying? I'm trying to get back into exercising right now so I'm going slow and gently and I've heard the wii fits good for that. I'm pretty unfit right now too so I don't know I don't get a lot of money so I don't wanna buy it if it's gonna be wasted.
I'll probably buy a used one if it's worth it.
All opinions are welcome :)

Replies

• falamoyacrava
    falamoyacrava Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit and I love it! The strength exercises are actually really good! I don't use it every day (though you're supposed to) but it's a lot of fun. Doesn't even feel like working out most of the time!
    My boyfriend's brother lost a tonne of weight doing it every day too!
  • JayTeeEs
    JayTeeEs Posts: 36
    Options
    I would say that I'm pretty out of shape myself. However what i did was very simple. You can work yourself in nice and slowly at the gym as well. Just go in on an eliptical or treadmill and just set a pace that you can handle. Don't try and keep up with the guy or gal next to you. Just set your pace. Before you know it you'll find yourself slowly uping your pace as the slower pace just isn't cutting it for you anymore. I've never tried Wii Fit, and the reason I didn't is because i love video games, and i could see myself easily doing a half a$$ed workout and turning it off to get to my fun game.
  • bonjovi27
    bonjovi27 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would definately recommend getting it to begin with. I started with wii fit (more than once =P) and it was always good to get be breaking a sweat, but in a fun way! You may find though that eventually the cardio games become too easy and then you know its time to move on to something more challenging! This happened to me a few weeks ago :sad: but it was great to get my fitness up so I could start C25K :happy:
    Go for it!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    We bought the Wii and Wii fit years ago and it did the job to get us off our butts and work out. But after a few months we really didn't use the Wii Fit any more. As you work out more you find the Wii Fit limiting. We still kept using the Wii for nearly two years and worked out with the EA Sports Active series. Using the Wii Fit board is optional with EA Sports Active but not necessary. If you are just starting out I think EA Sports Active 2 is a pretty good workout routine.
  • yorkshirekevin
    yorkshirekevin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,

On balance, I would say that it's worthwhile ....

It got me back into the 'exercise routine' when I hadn't exercised in years, and wasn't 'ready' for the gym.

Now that I'm fitter, 50lb lighter, and more confident, it's less useful as I go the gym, but I still use it on days where time is too short to get to the gym.

There are some fun games, all of which get you moving, and the console doubles as a 'streamer' for BBC iplayer and Netflix.

There are also 'smartphone' apps which synchronise your weight to Fitbit, and from there to MPF.

Good luck with your choice.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have the wii fit and I use it mostly for yoga, and some strength training. I also have ea sports active and active 2. I LOVE those!!! Great strength training and cardio. I think there's a newer version of wii fit and I'd like to try it too.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had it before and loved it. I have to get a new board (our original board broke) now that we replaced our old Wii with the Wii U. But I totally recommend it!
  • penny_lane709
    penny_lane709 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i love mine. you can set up your own routine too, with yoga and strength training-so you can pick the ones you like/are ready for. my current is 18 exercises, 31 mins and burns 70 calories. its fun and feels like no time at all. They also have somthing called free step where you start the workout and then go back to watching regular tv while you step onto and off of the boad(the remote clicks the whole time to set the pace). also burns up to 80 cals in a half hour (you can pick 10, 20 or 30 mins) at the highest speed. its great for toning the glutes and is an excuse to stay in front of the tv!
  • Thanks for all the response I think I'll buy one!
    Also I'll look into EA sports active aswell.

Thanks all :)
  • Berry2084
    Berry2084 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit and EA sports 2 I have never really managed to stick to them though just use wii fit to check my weight as I don't have scales.

Am thinking of starting to use again for some strength training i now do five sessions of cardio a week so thought I could do some strength and yoga on my days off or lighter cardio days

what do you think?
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed it especially the skiing and balance games. I am horrible on the "in step" games. I do like the yoga also. You can also use it sitting on a platform for some of the balance games and it really loosens up the back.

The only thing that annoyed me was I could have swore the thing said ouch every time I stepped on it and made my mii a marble shape. A bit annoying on that part. I haven't been able to locate ea sport in our Gamestop store yet.
  • Kagemori
    Kagemori Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit, its pretty fun. they have a few things that are and can be considered real exercise like yoga, running, and step aerobics. A lot of the wii fit though is all about balance and posture so you wont burn a significant amount if you only stick to those games, you want to put in some of the exercise games as well. I personally enjoy the rhythm boxing and "karate" as well as the hula hoop game. my balance is a mess so I don't do overly well on the balance games but I really enjoy the yoga, though I haven't gotten past the beginner poses. the key with wii fit is to do it regularly.

I don't, but I do other exercises as well to make up for it. work out dvds, walking, and just recently ive taken up jogging. If you plan to do it regularly. Twice a week at the ABSOLUTE least then the wii fit can be a really good work out provided you do more than just balance games.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Have one its pretty good but my kids came and disconnected it and soo now it sits next to the TV taunting me...Yes I said it Tanting me...I will get it hooked back up but there are SOOO MANY WIRES!!!!!!!
  • Kagemori
    Kagemori Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    oh! i forgot to mention. to save youself money, you can always do what I did and buy the balance board and wii fit game used. Same with the wii console as well if you don't already have one.

I bought a wii console controller and nunchuck and wireless sensor bar included for $45 form a pawn shop. The wii balance board I bought for $40 from another pawnshop and I bought the wii fit game for about $17-$20 from game stop pre owned. all in all, a lot less then what every thing would be brand new.

another thing, the balance board runs on batteries, so to save money I suggest investing in rechargeable batteries like I did. saves a bundle in the long run.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I love my wii fit, and we make it a family activity. That way, we are bonding and exercising :) My boyfriend loves it too! He'll come over and we'll all get on the wii fit and exercise, it's a lot of fun and I do find myself working up a sweat.

Considering i HATE video games otherwise, I have no problem "wanting to play another game". This is the only game I personally own for our wii system.

I also take 3 yoga classes a week and walk. But that's about it (I'm slowly working up to strength training, as I have medical problems and am not suppose to lift anything heavy (Over 15 lbs) for long periods of time, EVER). I'm slowly working on things though, and the Dr.'s are impressed.

You could always rent the wii fit (if you have a wii). See if you like it. If not, return it!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love mine and I also like the just dance series you don't feel like your working out it is fun
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I liked it. I don't use it anymore, but when I did I found it fun. I used it when I was training for Army basic training. It was my inclement weather workout. I didn't think it was extremely challenging, so for a beginner it would be perfect. If you want to step up your game the EA Active is a harder workout. Currently I have the UFC Personal Trainer for Xbox and love it. (and it can be had for under $20!)