Lost 49lbs...gained back 13lbs.....what's going on?

Options
2»

Replies

• angiedew
    angiedew Posts: 5
    Options
    Unless you are 6' tall and well over 200 pounds, I *seriously* doubt you could eat almost 1800 calories a day at age 55 and be in a deficit. If you are gaining weight, you are eating too much. It's that simple. Weigh and log everything that goes in your mouth, and if you insist on counting your exercise calories as extra food you can eat, then get a heart rate monitor. The cardio machines at the gym are giving you a calorie burn for a 200 pound man. (For example, I was on the eliptical last week for 42 minutes, and the machine told me I burned 480 calories. My actual burn -- from my Polar watch/HRM -- was 310 calories).
  • Ducati58
    Ducati58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Unless you are 6' tall and well over 200 pounds, I *seriously* doubt you could eat almost 1800 calories a day at age 55 and be in a deficit. If you are gaining weight, you are eating too much. It's that simple. Weigh and log everything that goes in your mouth, and if you insist on counting your exercise calories as extra food you can eat, then get a heart rate monitor. The cardio machines at the gym are giving you a calorie burn for a 200 pound man. (For example, I was on the eliptical last week for 42 minutes, and the machine told me I burned 480 calories. My actual burn -- from my Polar watch/HRM -- was 310 calories).
  • Ducati58
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying about 1800 calories...I need to go back to what was successful for me last year and staying away from the excessive sodium...nixing the pickles and cashews for a while...I think the extra eating snuck up on me after losing my weight last year ......
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying about 1800 calories...I need to go back to what was successful for me last year and staying away from the excessive sodium...nixing the pickles and cashews for a while...I think the extra eating snuck up on me after losing my weight last year ......

YOU are so diligent about your exercise ... I hate to see that you aren't losing! I agree about the 1800 calories also. At my weight, 166lbs now, I wouldn't lose at 1800 - I keep my calories around 1200. It's not that I am depriving myself to hit the 1200 calorie goal, that's just where I end up daily after eating what I want ... high protein, no visible fat (but I don't limit/cut out fats), and low carb. When I look at MY carbs, I am currently keeping them between 30-70 (I am a low carber for reasons other than, and in addition to, weight loss) ... again, it's resulting in weight coming off (slowly). Good carbs, as in not processed foods, but veggies. I have heard, from several sources to keep your carbs below 100g ... but different sources will tell you different amounts. I do allow myself Splenda (useless carbs) in my coffee and I won't give up my coffee lol! My husband and I both cook, so there is always freshly cooked meat to eat ... I have a roast in the crockpot right now. You may have hit on a very common problem about menopause though ... it's worth checking into if the other strategies mentioned don't work for you. I hope things turn around for you very very soon.
  • Ducati58
    Options

YOU are so diligent about your exercise ... I hate to see that you aren't losing! I agree about the 1800 calories also. At my weight, 166lbs now, I wouldn't lose at 1800 - I keep my calories around 1200. It's not that I am depriving myself to hit the 1200 calorie goal, that's just where I end up daily after eating what I want ... high protein, no visible fat (but I don't limit/cut out fats), and low carb. When I look at MY carbs, I am currently keeping them between 30-70 (I am a low carber for reasons other than, and in addition to, weight loss) ... again, it's resulting in weight coming off (slowly). Good carbs, as in not processed foods, but veggies. I have heard, from several sources to keep your carbs below 100g ... but different sources will tell you different amounts. I do allow myself Splenda (useless carbs) in my coffee and I won't give up my coffee lol! My husband and I both cook, so there is always freshly cooked meat to eat ... I have a roast in the crockpot right now. You may have hit on a very common problem about menopause though ... it's worth checking into if the other strategies mentioned don't work for you. I hope things turn around for you very very soon.
  • Ducati58
    Options
    Thanks - I hope they turn around soon too....I am going to try to keep my carbs under 150, reduce the sodium and try to not go over 1700 cal.....also backing away from cashews that I would have in the afternoon and pickles!.....those are two things that I started eating lately that I wasn't last year....so we'll see..... :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I did my TDEE and it was 2243 so minusing 20%, I should be eating 1795 and not eating back exercise calories....

You are not doing this now. Your diary is set to @1300. If you are using the TDEE method then you need to go and manually set your calorie goal to 1795. Otherwise you need to eat back exercise calories.

You are not eating even what you said you need to eat according to your diary. Get a heart rate monitor and then assume that you are recording your more accurate exercise calories if that's what is worrying you. Eat 1795 and then your exercise calories, or at least what you MFP goal says.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake seems high. I would try a 250 to 500 calorie cut per day depending on what you are comfortable with. Cashews won't make you fat if they fit into your calorie goals. Sodium from pickles doesn't cause a person to get fat and any extra pounds on the scale would be temporary. You have done an awesome job so far and I am sure you will reach your goals.
  • Ducati58
    Options
    Your calorie intake seems high. I would try a 250 to 500 calorie cut per day depending on what you are comfortable with. Cashews won't make you fat if they fit into your calorie goals. Sodium from pickles doesn't cause a person to get fat and any extra pounds on the scale would be temporary. You have done an awesome job so far and I am sure you will reach your goals.
  • Ducati58
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words....I think it's more of a sodium issue with me and the cashews and pickles....plus it's hard for me to put the breaks on when I am eating cashews.... :) I am trying this week to keep the calories down and the carbs down (getting back to where I started last year)....I am happy that I kept the majority of weight off but it is disconcerting when you gain even a couple pounds of it back....I looked at your diary and you don't seem to eat much fruit....carbs??