not sure if i am eating enough

Options
I have opened my diary up and was just wondering if i am eating enough. I do classes 3 times a week, golf at least 4 times a week, 9 holes, walk 6 miles in the morning and if i dont do that i run for 1 hour on the treadmill. I burn at least 400 to 500 calories a day if not more. Can someone please let me know if i am missing something other than veggies. Yes i stupidly ate a handful of chips today which i normally dont do!

Replies

• davidboyd0041
    Options
    Honestly I would eat more, I'd go for that whole 2000 you have has your daily goal. i'm starting to really believe everyone should go with Your TDEE - 20%(30%) depending on how much weight you have to lose. Like for example all i'm seeing is around 1500 calories consumed today if you burned 500 that's only 1000 calories net! I would definitely up it to were you're netting your TDEE minus 20%.
  • kenorus
    kenorus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    wow i feel like i am eating way to much now. I was so use to doing atkins and eating mainly veggies and meat. Now i am trying just to calorie count and eat healthy and my body is not adjusting very well. Feel like i am gaining weight but clothes still feel okay. Am i doing something wrong.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I would defiantly try and stay closer to your goal, I do see that your not eating a lot of fresh food too if you feel like your eating to much already try to eat some more vegs etc and that way you don't need to feel guilty about being full!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What's your height/weight/age?
  • kenorus
    Options
    50 female 5ft 1 inch 138 want to be 128
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Your BMR is going to be around 1300, so your goal of 1300 is not bad. You look like you're logging consistently and generally getting within 100 of your goal, though you occasionally go up or under.

I'd suggest you try to be a little more consistent, but that's about it. Are you keeping track of your weight or measurements? How are those?
  • kenorus
    Options
    weight is not going down. I start with a personal trainer and i am sure she will be taking my measurements. My clothes fit good compared to last summer. I think i will just start cutting up my veggies again and snack on them if i get hungry. Yes wine will never go away, very social in the summer due to golf but i am doing good by not having big glasses and have my club house measure my wines! Starting fitness classes like tabata body shredder but dont know how many calories that will burn.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    weight is not going down. I start with a personal trainer and i am sure she will be taking my measurements. My clothes fit good compared to last summer. I think i will just start cutting up my veggies again and snack on them if i get hungry. Yes wine will never go away, very social in the summer due to golf but i am doing good by not having big glasses and have my club house measure my wines! Starting fitness classes like tabata body shredder but dont know how many calories that will burn.

How long have you been measuring weight? What's your latest weight? What was it 1, 2, 3, 4 weeks ago?
  • kenorus
    Options
    I have not logged anything yet.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have not logged anything yet.

You're not weighing yourself? How do you know you're not losing weight then?
  • kenorus
    Options
    Yes i am just not daily. Clothes fit a bit looser. Starting with my trainer next week once again.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How long have you been measuring weight? What's your latest weight? What was it 1, 2, 3, 4 weeks ago?
  • kenorus
    Options
    really stuck around 138, I will have my trainer weigh me and measure me on Wednesday. Not sure why I am not losing weight. Starting to bother me. I cant get any more active than I am. I use to atkins low carb and was successful but I cant maintain it especially as I am social golfer In the summer.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    wow i feel like i am eating way to much now. I was so use to doing atkins and eating mainly veggies and meat. Now i am trying just to calorie count and eat healthy and my body is not adjusting very well. Feel like i am gaining weight but clothes still feel okay. Am i doing something wrong.

It does seem like alot at first when you start eating a little more but you're burning so much which is why it's important that you eat more. It doesn't mean you eat bad to fill in the gap, just means you can increase your portions more, eat more veggies and fruits, whole grains, good fats, proteins and you'll see it climb easier.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    really stuck around 138, I will have my trainer weigh me and measure me on Wednesday. Not sure why I am not losing weight. Starting to bother me. I cant get any more active than I am. I use to atkins low carb and was successful but I cant maintain it especially as I am social golfer In the summer.

You're actually not losing weight because you're not eating enough. This is what happens, let's say you eat 1500, which is what the body uses to operate your body, seems like a lot at first but then you work out and burned 500 of that, if you don't replace those calories, your body thinks, whoa, what's going on here and starts storing the fats from the things you eat, hence, ur not losing it because it thinks u need it. So up ur calories with clean foods and you'll do great.
  • kenorus
    Options
    I am trying to curb the wine but being with all my friends and in a trailer park it is hard. So I try to limit and not have some till dinner then stop. If I don't have the wine then I will need to eat more veggies or something. Cant wait to start back with my personal trainer. She doesn't like counting calories so wil see what she wants me to do. I like to as it makes me realize what I am eating.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    well you WERE doing wrong with that stupid Atkins crappola...now your body has to adjust and adapt! you will be great eat and have fun!
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    You could look up registered dietitians (RD) in your area for more information on how to eat for your needs. If you are very active you may need more calories and an RD can help you better gauge your needs. Don't eat less than your BMR (base metabolic rate). You can calculate that yourself by looking for a BMR calculator on the web. Eating less then 1200 or 1300 calories a day will definitely put your body in fat storing/ starvation mode. If your body thinks you are starving you will not lose weight.

I have read that people who exercise consistently eat fewer calories throughout the day, but don't go below your BMR. You need to measure or weight at least weekly so you can make adjustments in your calories and your goals. I weigh on Friday mornings, to help me keep from totally blowing my food plan on the weekend. I have noticed I am more consistent on week days because I am at work and my day is more regimented and my food selection limited. The weekends are a whole other story...

I like to drink wine in the evening or on the weekends too. I try to use portion control here. I know these are empty calories that will go straight to my hips if I don't exercise and eat right the rest of the week. I am not trying to become an olympic athlete. I am just trying to practice moderation and control!
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    Your food selections look good. That half a bottle of wine each day is hindering your progress. That's too many empty calories from alcohol sugar. Red wine with dinner is usually heart healthy, but only in small quantities, like 4 to 6 ounces only. I am a wine lover,too. Look at your food diary. Subtract the wine and you are getting less then 1200 calories many days. This will but your body in starvation mode. It slows your metabolism and stores the wine sugar as fat instead of burning it.
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you were doing Atkins and restricting your carb intake your body is going to gain a little "weight" (not necessarily fat) as your body adjusts and absorbs some water. It's one reason why pro bodybuilders can bloat up after a competition when they increase their carbs. (they go really low carb to cut that last bit of weight/water before a comp). If you keep your *net* calories at say, 1300 and you burn 4-500 a day through exercise you should be eating a *total* of 1800 calories a day. These numbers may not exactly reflect your needs, it's just an example. Fwiw, if your clothes are looser and you're losing inches yet you've gained a little total body weight, I'd say you are doing alright :D