Food during vacation?

Options
Yica83
Yica83 Posts: 18 Member
i was wondering how everyone keeps their healthy eating habits during vacation... i'm going on vacation in a few weeks and i'm very scared!!!

Replies

• evdvelde
    evdvelde Posts: 26
    Options
    Good question! I'm loathing holiday season. Holidays before MFP has always been associated with food, and lot's of it. A suggestion that was given to me was; make one evening a special night to indulge with family and friends, and then eat per usual other nights.
  • evdvelde
    Options
    Oh, and that is the term I would use as well. "very scared" ;)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared. It's a vacation decide one of two things. Make the experience what keeps you motivated and put food secondary eat as clean as possible or.... just YOLO carpe diem and enjoy your vacation NBD.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I will also be going on vacation in a couple weeks. We are going to be bringing a lot of our own food and snacks. We will be having other food from restaurants too. I'm just going to log what I eat and go with it. It helps that we're going to an anime convention, so there will be a lot of walking. There is also a gym and swimming pool in the hotel we are staying at. My husband and I plan on utilizing both.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want on vacation! I don't log anything, but I do try to be active during holidays. I may gain a couple pounds but they are gone a week after I get home
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    In Europe most of my friends and I always lose weight because of the amount of walking we do and the high quality ingredients in the food.
  • evdvelde
    Options
    Don't be scared. It's a vacation decide one of two things. Make the experience what keeps you motivated and put food secondary eat as clean as possible or.... just YOLO carpe diem and enjoy your vacation NBD.

Yes, that is what I am telling myself this year that holidays are just about that; holidays, not the food.. It's about celebrating time with family and friends.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Vacations are for having fun. Eat what you like and deal with it later.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I went to the Philippines for two weeks. The food is tasty but they have no food safety protocols. The bathrooms were filthy and there was nowhere to wash. It struck me that the staff went there and then cooked my food.
    I lost three pounds dispite drinking my daily calories. LOL
  • Yica83
    Yica83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i will be eating out all of my meals, but i will be doing a lot of walking...hopefully that will offset any extra i might eat.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    On vacation, I splurge on what is unique, Philly Cheese Steaks in Philly, crab cakes in Maryland, etc..... The remainder of my meals are richer than usual, but not crazy.
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was in the Dominican a couple of weeks ago, and I ate what I wanted. I brought snacks with me, and ate some, but chose to enjoy the food there. Even after drinking my body weight in pretty drinks, I still ended up pretty much even on the scale- due to the swimming. You are on vacation- enjoy yourself. Have no regrets!
  • evdvelde
    Options
    Vacations are for having fun. Eat what you like and deal with it later.

Sorry. I can't agree with you there. I would think that I would be sabotaging everything I was previously trying to accomplish. It makes no sense in my head, if I am trying to accomplish something now, to throw caution to the wind in the holidays. What do I learn from doing that.
  • marcel_theschell
    marcel_theschell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want on vacation! I don't log anything, but I do try to be active during holidays. I may gain a couple pounds but they are gone a week after I get home

This is what I typically do and it works out well for me. While it can be seen as a bit of a "setback" because you're losing some of the work you've put in, I always see it as something positive. Enjoy yourself and know that you can always jump back in when you get back from your vacation.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want on vacation, but try to stay active and typically I don't gain any weight. On my last vacation (a Caribbean cruise), I gained 3 pounds, which came off less then 2 weeks of me being at home. It was all those margaritas I had on the cruise that I don't typically drink at home! Definitely go and enjoy yourself! :)
  • evdvelde
    Options
    I guess what I am trying to say is that if my goal is to have a healthy life style, then there is no vacation from that. :)
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just try to log EVERYTHING! Now you're probably saying No Way! :noway:

Not trying to ruin your vacation but empowering you for some self-accountabilty! :huh:

Ultimately you know what got you on mfp and should have some ideas of how to work this program. By logging everything you eat it will force you to decide if it's worth it. If you want that claorie heavy dessert then by all means have it! Just own it, log it and move on. And maybe logging it first might help you decide that you don't want it. It also will alert you that in order to be under for the day you will have to get some more exercise in.

I work for the US Navy and occasionally have to ride ships. The last time I "logged" it all on a note pad and put in the database when I got home. Oh yeah I still went over but knowing I'd be writing it down helped me eat less.

Any where you go there are choices you can make. Buffets, fast food joint or sit-downs with fixed portioned menus. The choice is yours.:wink:
  • evdvelde
    Options
    Just try to log EVERYTHING! Now you're probably saying No Way! :noway:

Not trying to ruin your vacation but empowering you for some self-accountabilty! :huh:

Ultimately you know what got you on mfp and should have some ideas of how to work this program. By logging everything you eat it will force you to decide if it's worth it. If you want that claorie heavy dessert then by all means have it! Just own it, log it and move on. And maybe logging it first might help you decide that you don't want it. It also will alert you that in order to be under for the day you will have to get some more exercise in.

I work for the US Navy and occasionally have to ride ships. The last time I "logged" it all on a note pad and put in the database when I got home. Oh yeah I still went over but knowing I'd be writing it down helped me eat less.

Agree with everything you said. Thanks. Oh, and I will be MFP everyday. I feel I would stumble with out it. I love MFP and my accountability group..

Any where you go there are choices you can make. Buffets, fast food joint or sit-downs with fixed portioned menus. The choice is yours.:wink:
  • evdvelde
    Options
    okay, I seemed to have messed up. what I said is in your message.. duh, me
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I make it a true vacation......one without measuring and stressing about food. but, by then, i was basically into the habit of eating well and I knew that if I ate junk all day I would feel terrible.