Protein Bar Debate

Options
Heeeeey everyone - I am new here, thought it would be a good place to track my daily macros and make sure I am keeping up with everything throughout the day, especially my protein. Gaining muscle and serious about it! :)

Quick question if anyone has a moment to respond - does anyone else have problems digesting some protein bars? I am thinking about just scrapping the store bought ones (even if they are the absolute best I can find) and making my own... My stomach doesn't seem to respond well to most protein bars I buy/consume... thoughts, comments, concerns - welcome.

Replies

• ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Homemade protein bars are awesome! I make mine with rolled oats, natural peanut butter, and protein powder. I make a whole batch then freeze them and pack them in lunches throughout the week.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love the Think Thin bars, specifically the chocolate dipped mixed nuts. It only has 10g of protein though. I see it more as a yummy snack than a protein bar. Either way its gluten free and delicious.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You may be having trouble digesting the whey protein. I can eat dairy products and bars that contain some whjey protein, but the 100% whey powders are a big problem for me. If I drink a whey protein shake my stomach will inflate like a balloon and I have a good week long Crohn's flare. Maybe try getting bars with different types of protein sources.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ever considered the fact you might be lactose intolerant? :)
  • 1fit_fox
    1fit_fox Posts: 12
    Options
    thank you for the responses everyone, this is helpful! I am going to experiment with the different protein sources, trial and error! :)
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    most protein bars are full of sugar alcohols, and thats what is messing with your stomach. i gave up on them, as they were expensive anyway, only bar i get is nature valley protein granola bars, 10grams protein each, it is my morning snack before lunch. if not that i just carry my shaker cup and a couple scoops of ON whey
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    try quest bars... no sugar alcohol
  • 1fit_fox
    1fit_fox Posts: 12
    Options
    thank you, thank you for the responses! I truly appreciate it, haven't eaten protein bars at all this week and feel great - instead I started eating small meals every couple hours that have chicken or tuna - thanks again everyone!
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    definitely start making your own! there are so many great recipes out there. I used to be a slave to the protein bars and powder but they are chuck full of additives, preservatives, artificial flavors, soy, dairy, wheat, byproducts of byproducts and more artificially artificial stuff. Real food you make yourself is always the best choice and save money. It's a win-win
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder bars are my Go-To.

No artificial sweeteners, no sugar alcohols, no trans fats and they seem to be a pretty good company.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    try quest bars... no sugar alcohol

^This. Quest bars are amazing! It takes a while to eat them and you are very satiated once you are done. 25g of protein per bar and no sugar are a bonus. I like the Strawberry Cheesecake and the Coconut Cashew.