Rewarding great workout with FOOD. Anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    How serious would be the appropriate level of seriousness, in your opinion?

I find this to be stimulating and enjoyable. But I want to be sure I conform to social norms at the same time. Can you give me some tips?

Emoticons maybe? Or fart jokes?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I would suggest some research into learning theory for an explanation of why punishment mixed with rewards is vastly inferior to rewards only. The whole concept of pairing the two together is an arbitrary and learned behavior itself.

I've already studied that kind of thing. Even with rewards only, a reward is frequently seen as something that can be withheld. Food is not something that should ever be withheld. It's a basic necessity.

If you're talking about changing people's attitudes from an unhealthy mindset to a healthy one, then I'm not in disagreement with you. There's more than one model of a healthy mindset. I don't see anything food or exercise related as either a reward or a punishment. I see it as strengthening and feeding my body.
    This is what I am getting at. Rewards as a means of shaping behavior has nothing to do with morality. Which means a smart person looking to modify their behavior can safely make use of it to create new patterns.

For most people it does though. I also don't see why or how rewards without punishment is better than just dropping the whole reward/punishment mentality altogether.

But anyway I didn't come here to get into a debate on something so trivial (dropping the rewards/punishment mentality versus just dropping the punishment side of it is trivial, IMO because both are healthy mindsets)
    So in effect, I did understand your post and still feel there is legitimate opportunity for learning something about that for anyone reading this thread, and no need to associate rewards with the very destructive practice of alternating it with punishments.

Okay, but you could have made that point without implying that you didn't understand my post...?

I'm not here to get in debates, I came to this thread to give advice. I'd rather if people disagreed with something, or had something to add or something to teach me, that they'd just state it directly.
    Adult, child, dog, or dolphin, layman or experimental psychologist (btw they aren't the only people allowed to contemplate this or define things properly), rewards will increase any behavior associated with the reward.

you picked up on something in my post that was advice to someone on an internet forum, not something written for a scientific journal. I address how I speak/write to my audience. I don't use technical scientific terms with people who probably don't have a scientific background. If I'm explaining to someone why they need to feed their body, then I generally assume they don't have a scientific background and so use layman's terms.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Withholding food is a punishment, not a reward. It's negative reinforcement based on punishment. It appears you really, really, associate rewards with punishments, despite your extensive studies. My experience with dogs and self implies this is quite typical but not necessary. I had a lot of trouble eliminating punishment from my work with dogs, because it provided an emotional reward for me by creating the impression that I was decreasing the unwanted behavior in the dog. It was so bad I give up on dog training.

Adding a particularly rewarding food choice to reinforce a behavior can be completely uncoupled from punishment, morality, or any other useless system of teaching and learning specific behaviors (but highly effective for altering group behaviors).

It simply doesn't have to be so, unless one is lacking in imagination.

I think I've pointed out why using rewards is more effective than leaving things to chance. You can either leave things to chance and hope you are one of the lucky ones, or take control of your own fate.

As for whether science is helpful to everyday people, we will have to agree to disagree. I feel the whole point of science is to help everyday people. These concepts are empowering. Increasing desired behaviors is a good thing. Many of us don't have the luxury of being picky or only using techniques that work for a particular subset. I know I don't, and I've observed how rewards affect my every day choices whether I like it or not, so I prefer to increase my ability to shape my behavior.

A smart dieter will keep trying new things, observe the results, and then apply what they have learned. The OP is on the fence about this, and I'd hate to see someone avoid a potentially successful technique for completely arbitrary reasons.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Withholding food is a punishment, not a reward. It's negative reinforcement based on punishment. It appears you really, really, associate rewards with punishments, despite your extensive studies. My experience with dogs and self implies this is quite typical but not necessary. I had a lot of trouble eliminating punishment from my work with dogs, because it provided an emotional reward for me by creating the impression that I was decreasing the unwanted behavior in the dog. It was so bad I give up on dog training.

Maybe I do, studying something at an academic level doesn't necessarily translate into changing deeply held beliefs... I have PTSD and that doesn't go away just because I know it's irrational. That's why people pay so much for cognitive behaviour therapy, because your conscious mind can't just decide to change subconscious and deeply held beliefs. You should know that if you have a background in psychology.

It's also a matter of language and semantics, because where one person might use the term reward, another might talk in terms of consequences... for example with kids, rather than using the terms "reward" and "punishment" teachers will usually say "the child is learning that behaviour has consequences" and this has been shown in the classroom to be a lot more effective than the language of reward/punishment.

A human (child or adult) has a more complex brain than a dog, and human society is a lot more complex than a dog's life, and although it pretty much comes down to the same thing (a consequence is often either a reward or a punishment in effect) it's couched in different terms, because "actions have consequences" covers a lot more than "if you're good someone's going to give you a reward, if you're bad someone's going to punish you" - it also covers "if I climb on that broken fence, it's probably going to break and I'll fall and get hurt" and "If I call someone names it will hurt them"... so while for young kids "consequences of actions" is basically just reward and punishment... it's more than that. It includes consequences to other people besides oneself, and consequences that just happen that can't be considered either a reward or a punishment, just a consequence.
    Adding a particularly rewarding food choice to reinforce a behavior can be completely uncoupled from punishment, morality, or any other useless system of teaching and learning specific behaviors (but highly effective for altering group behaviors).

I'm sure it can be, but as I said, understanding something at an intellectual level (in this case separating the concept of reward from that of punishment) and being able to apply it successfully to real life are two different things. And applying it to someone else (e.g. dogs, children, etc) is not the same as applying it to yourself with whatever emotional baggage comes with it. If you can do that, great. Don't assume that it's the best course of action for everyone though.
    It simply doesn't have to be so, unless one is lacking in imagination.

I don't agree, because if I could just reprogram my brain just like that, I wouldn't have PTSD anymore. I'd love to just be able to decide to not have PTSD any more, but deeply held beliefs (which includes the meanings attributed to words) cannot simply be changed on a whim, if a word has a negative association that's going to result in a negative mindset, it's better to change your vocabulary than to try to reprogram your brain.
    I think I've pointed out why using rewards is more effective than leaving things to chance. You can either leave things to chance and hope you are one of the lucky ones, or take control of your own fate.

What am I leaving to chance? I'm not leaving anything to chance. I don't understand how you can come to this conclusion based on the fact that I don't use the terms "reward" or "punishment"....?

I'm already at my goal weight and successfully maintaining it, and increasing how much weight I can lift regularly.

Can you really not see any alternatives to "rewards without punishments" and "leaving things to chance"? You can't see that someone can be motivated without having to give themselves rewards? And if you want to define reward as any positive outcome from any conscious action, then the reward for lifting heavy weights is being able to lift heavy weights and having a stronger body. But I don't use those terms to describe it. I find the words "reward" and "punishment" are too intrinsically linked to morality and a negative mindset for them to be useful to me.
    As for whether science is helpful to everyday people, we will have to agree to disagree. I feel the whole point of science is to help everyday people. These concepts are empowering. Increasing desired behaviors is a good thing. Many of us don't have the luxury of being picky or only using techniques that work for a particular subset. I know I don't, and I've observed how rewards affect my every day choices whether I like it or not, so I prefer to increase my ability to shape my behavior.

You're putting words into my mouth that I never said... I never said science is not helpful to "everyday people"..... I said I don't use scientific vocabulary with people who don't have a scientific background. 90% of what I write on this forum is explaining science to people!! (the other 10% is joking around) If you want to successfully explain science to people who don't have a scientific background, avoiding using words they may not understand, or may misunderstand, is an important thing to do...!
    A smart dieter will keep trying new things, observe the results, and then apply what they have learned. The OP is on the fence about this, and I'd hate to see someone avoid a potentially successful technique for completely arbitrary reasons.

1. my reasoning is not arbitrary.

2.. the OP is able to read all the posts and i don't see how reading my posts will stop him from considering what you have to say as well...? i never said your way is wrong, or that he should disregard it.... I made a case for dropping the "rewards and punishment" mentality, which you agreed is a negative mentality. Your answer is to just have rewards without punishment, mine is to drop the whole mentality altogether. Whatever.

3. what works for you works for you. my way works for me, as evidenced by the fact that I'm very motivated in both following an exercise programme and eating a healthy diet, and successfully maintaining my weight, when in the past I was an obese couch potato. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not telling you that your way is wrong, I'm only telling you that your way is not for me, and it may not be the best way for quite a few others too, especially as you've observed that some people find it really hard to separate the concepts of reward and punishment from each other.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I would just take it as a compliment not an attack. I find your argument persuasive enough to merit the time and energy I put into writing a dissent.

By "leaving it to chance" I mean to imply that we all run on rewards. If you don't acknowledge it and use those rewards according to a plan, you may be successful, but then again you may be unsusccessful and baffled by your own behavior.

I find the "you aren't a dog" argument unconvincing, for the reasons stated above. To wit, the qualities of a dog that make rewards effective are not mutually exclusive with other qualities in humans that make altering all of our behaviors more complicated than shaping a dog.

Action - big workout
    Reward - tasty food

Action - adjusting food to level of expenditure (treating it like a fuel)
    Reward - tasty food

Both actions are desirable. Both rewards are desirable. The OP is wondering if this is a bad habit. I say no, it isn't. It's a great way to teach yourself consistency and by being conscious of both things, to avoid blowing up when you haven't expended the calories, because your lifestyle has changed, or better yet, to find motivation to take make an effort to find effective ways to maintain fitness when the environment changes. This is the top reason I have continued my progress despite living on the road for the past month and a half. Otherwise I would be depending on willpower, which is already being taxed by my environmental change.

I sincerely hope you don't find this exchange to be unrewarding, because I am thoroughly enjoying it and appreciate your energy and intelligence.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Action - big workout
    Reward - tasty food

Reward - tasty food

Both actions are desirable. Both rewards are desirable. The OP is wondering if this is a bad habit. I say no, it isn't. It's a great way to teach yourself consistency and by being conscious of both things, to avoid blowing up when you haven't expended the calories, because your lifestyle has changed, or better yet, to find motivation to take make an effort to find effective ways to maintain fitness when the environment changes. This is the top reason I have continued my progress despite living on the road for the past month and a half. Otherwise I would be depending on willpower, which is already being taxed by my environmental change.

if the reward far outweighs the exercise, then it is somewhat damaging no? Exercise to lose 1000 cals (likely not properly measured so overeastimated) then eat back 2000cals? Can't argue with the maths there. Of course it isn't as simple as cals in vs cals out (nutrients etc), but if we're talking 'reward' food, it's implying food that is on the less healthy side of the spectrum.

So no, I don't support bingeing after exercising.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I would just take it as a compliment not an attack. I find your argument persuasive enough to merit the time and energy I put into writing a dissent.

duly taken as such... I wasn't taking anything as an attack, just that I was there to give advice, not get drawn into a debate.
    By "leaving it to chance" I mean to imply that we all run on rewards. If you don't acknowledge it and use those rewards according to a plan, you may be successful, but then again you may be unsusccessful and baffled by your own behavior.

There's more than one way to view human behaviour. You take quite a clinical psychology approach, I take a more evolutionary biology approach.

I'm not baffled by my own behaviour, I'm probably a lot more aware of myself, what motivates me and what doesn't motivate me than most people. From my point of view, human behaviour makes sense when you consider that we're all just Homo erectus with a bit more cerebral cortex. Does that mean I think that everyone should view themselves as a Homo erectus but with a greater faculty for logical thought? No. But it is what we are, and that's the approach I take for studying human behaviour and human biology, and it's how I tend to explain things if people ask my advice/opinions on stuff... because it's how I think.
    I find the "you aren't a dog" argument unconvincing, for the reasons stated above. To wit, the qualities of a dog that make rewards effective are not mutually exclusive with other qualities in humans that make altering all of our behaviors more complicated than shaping a dog.

I really and truly don't find it useful to frame my behaviour in dog terms. I'm not saying dogs have nothing in common with humans (actually the convergent evolution between humans and dogs is interesting from an evolutionary point of view, but that's more from a perspective as to why dogs get on so well with humans, not from a "I should do x because x works for dogs" way of looking at it). I just don't see anything helpful in framing human behaviour in that way, in particular in framing learning to stick to lifestyle changes as akin to training dogs. you do, and that's great. But it's not for me.

There are one or two aspects of human behaviour that I'd liken to chimpanzee behaviour, like how internet debates tend to be more about chest beating and displays for dominance than they are about exchange of information, but that's a whole other debate and i'm well and truly drawn into this one LOL. Trying to keep it intellectual and not chest beating though.... (and I'd love to see how Homo erectuses argued... i.e. more chest beating like chimps or more verbal debate like Homo sapiens or a unique combination between the two... but that kind of thing doesn't fossilise so I guess we'll never know...)
    Action - big workout
    Reward - tasty food

Reward - tasty food

Both actions are desirable. Both rewards are desirable.

I still don't see why I have to view one as a reward for another though. I workout because I enjoy working out and because I want to be strong. I eat because I enjoy eating and because I want to be strong. Why should I frame one thing that I enjoy as a reward for another thing that I enjoy? If I were to start framing it like that, then I'd start to see exercise as a chore and food as a luxury item that needs to be earned, rather than seeing both food and exercise as things that are both essential for health and enjoyable in their own right.

Maybe you'd say being strong is the reward for having a healthy lifestyle... but framing it like that makes having a healthy lifestyle into a chore (for me), and then it'll stop being rewarding in its own right. And that's one major issue I have with it.

There is more than one way to frame human behaviour. it's not necessary to reduce everything to "reward seeking" for human behaviour to make sense. i reduce human behaviour to its evolutionary origins, as that's what makes sense to me. There is usually more than one way to frame a question, and more than one accurate answer to it.

So the problem in this debate is "I want to be motivated enough to stick to my exercise programme without falling into the kind of mindset which leads to behaviours that will stop me from progressing towards my goal" - then the question as to how you frame the behaviour of people who don't do well at dieting so you can avoid doing that yourself, can have different answers.

Your answer is that you see people as not understanding how to train themselves to behave the way that's going to give them the best results, so you frame it as a necessity to understand that we're all motivated to achieve a reward, similar to training dogs. I have no doubt that this works for some people, provided (as we've established) the mindset of punishment is absolutely avoided. (I'm not convinced that many people can easily do that if they're already firmly in the reward/punishment mentality, but for those that can, great.)

However I frame the behaviours as we're all Homo erectus with a bit of extra cerebral cortex, and what we consider to be "undesirable behaviours" in terms of dieting such as bingeing are actually (usually) physiologically normal survival responses to a food shortage. The way to overcome this is to not put yourself in the situation where these survival responses are set off to begin with, i.e. don't deny yourself nutrition that your body needs, and view food as something that's essential to survival (i.e. it's not a reward, it's an essential thing for survival... you don't reward yourself with oxygen....) and do exercise that you enjoy.

These two ways of framing the behaviour are not by any means mutually exclusive, and neither of them are necessary in order to understand human behaviour, because there are other ways besides these to frame the question and explanation.

I would predict that the actual practical solutions we come up with are very similar, in this case we both enjoy a post-workout meal without guilt. Is either approach wrong, per se? No. It's only wrong if it leads to a negative mindset and behaviour that stops you from achieving your goal.... your mindset would do that for me, I know that because I know myself well and how I react to things and as you have observed, at an emotional level, I don't separate reward from punishment and/or doing something I don't want to do.

I also know that when it comes to psychology, we can all be very different from each other, because so much of human behaviour is learned rather than hardwired. So while from a biological point of view, to lose weight you need a calorie deficit, and to be healthy you need exercise and healthy food and this is the same for everyone... from a psychology point of view, people should go with whatever enables them to stick with a healthy lifestyle while avoiding self-destructive behaviours.
    The OP is wondering if this is a bad habit. I say no, it isn't. It's a great way to teach yourself consistency and by being conscious of both things, to avoid blowing up when you haven't expended the calories, because your lifestyle has changed, or better yet, to find motivation to take make an effort to find effective ways to maintain fitness when the environment changes. This is the top reason I have continued my progress despite living on the road for the past month and a half. Otherwise I would be depending on willpower, which is already being taxed by my environmental change.

Well I've managed to do all that without framing it all as "rewards" - and without being dependent on willpower... and also in adverse circumstances.
    I sincerely hope you don't find this exchange to be unrewarding, because I am thoroughly enjoying it and appreciate your energy and intelligence.

It would be more enjoyable if I had enough time to be on the internet arguing all day... I'm popping in between doing other stuff and don't really have time to devote to these kinds of debates... and if I do then I'd rather they were on my blog and about issues I'm more invested in, such as evolutionary biology. In terms of this debate, whether someone should reject the whole mindset of reward and punishment, or have rewards without the punishment, really doesn't mean a lot to me. I don't really care which of those you or the OP chooses to do, so long as you're in a positive mindset that is keeping you motivated, getting you results and not causing you to be trapped in a negative cycle of punishment and self-denial. So really there's not much debate to be had, just quibbling over some small details, which I don't really like doing all that much (although I love talking about human evolutionary behaviour so that kind of makes up for it). I'm more of a "whatever, it works for you, but it doesn't work for me, just lets do what works" kind of person... so long as it really is working and isn't a justification for self-destructive behaviour.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Actually I always figured we evolved to seek rewards, and homo erectus or even Australopithecus, or even plants and fungi are no different. Sort of the key to being a successful species. Using rewards as reinforcement is separate from the need to seek them.

I don't see Internet debates as akin to male chest beating in primates. More like the social struggles undertaken by females. Lots of grooming too, and sometimes ganging up to exclude someone.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    All I have to say about this topic is that I am especially motivated to work out on the weekends since I will likely be in situations where having more calories available is to my benefit. I don't see anything wrong with that. If you are going to a buffet, it's just cruel to only have 500 calories available.

P.S. Totally miss Souplantation. Haven't been to one in over 20 years!!! I wonder if anything is the same.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Actually I always figured we evolved to seek rewards, and homo erectus or even Australopithecus, or even plants and fungi are no different. Sort of the key to being a successful species. Using rewards as reinforcement is separate from the need to seek them.

many things evolved to be enjoyable because they're essential to survival... eating, eating with friends, sex, cuddling, sunlight, warmth, the endorphin rush you get from exercise (i.e. hunting, in evolutionary terms)... if you want to put it that way, they evolved to be enjoyable so the enjoyment of them is a reward for doing these things, and animals that didn't enjoy doing what was necessary for survival, didn't survive, and we're descended from the survivors who did. So personally I just enjoy these things in themselves, and view them as things that are supposed to be enjoyed because they keep us healthy... I try not to attach frontal lobe values to them so much, like x is a reward for y. If x is necessary, why not learn to enjoy x, or find a way of achieving what x achieves in a more enjoyable way.

if you see that as using rewards then we only disagree on the semantics... but then language is important, because words have connotations, and for me "reward/punishment" has connotations that I don't want spoiling my enjoyment of things.
    I don't see Internet debates as akin to male chest beating in primates. More like the social struggles undertaken by females. Lots of grooming too, and sometimes ganging up to exclude someone.

Clearly you've been looking at the wrong threads then lol. I see it a lot on this forum!! :bigsmile: And why are men's struggles up the dominance hierarchy "chest beating" while women's are "social struggles undertaken" - male and female chimps both have dominance hierarchies ....you get alpha females not just alpha males, and it's very obvious in humans too, albeit with cultural differences* in terms of how closely it resembles actual chest beating. But yeah I see the other stuff as well lol now you mention it.

*I'm talking culture at a micro level here, as in cultural differences between (for example) a rugby club and an office, or between one office and another office. You will probably find actual chest beating if you look in the right places. Another thing that's amusing is that a lot of people as they get close to losing their temper, their displaying behaviours get a lot more chimp like :bigsmile: I once did a cartoon of a creationist in a creation-evolution debate, jumping on a chair, waving his arms about and yelling "we did not evolve from apes!!!"

holy thread hijacking batman... sorry OP
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    With the MFP method (NEAT method), you're supposed to eat back exercise calories anyway OP...I wouldn't say it's a bad habit, I'd say you are using the tool as it is intended. Your calorie GOAL is a GOAL...something to be achieved, not shot under or over.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    After my first 9 lbs. gone, I felt I deserved a reward. Thought seriously about a bucket of KFC but opted for a necklace of freshwater blue-violet pearls and iolite instead.. Next 9 or 10 lbs. lost, I'll probably reward myself with art supplies or iolite earrings. Any other women here who like jewelry as rewards?
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have had a bad habit for a while and basically I am rewarding myself with food after a great workout. Today was a perfect example where I burned over 1200 Calories playing tennis which put me in the green as far as left over calories. I went to Soup Plantation with my family and had over 2000 calories for the meal which still put me under my calorie goal for the day but wish I could stop this habit. I did have a fair share of water which should have made me feel full but no go. Anyone else have this same habit and can you share any light on this ongoing dilemma?

I exercise in the evening so usually treat myself with a sugar-free icecream and maybe some nuts if I need to make up some calories.

Why do you want to stop this habit? You are exercising (good), you are eating under your calories (good). It's normal to eat after exercising - your body needs to replenish the fuel it just burnt off. As long as you are eating healthy food, and maybe a small treat, then why not?