Hearts_2015
Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
Lightened-up Chicken Enchiladas

Prep Time 35 Minutes

Cook Time 15 Minutes

Difficulty Intermediate

Servings 4

Recipe Description
Chicken enchiladas lightened up with grilled chicken, whole wheat tortillas and a broth-y chipotle sauce that is to die for!

Preparation Instructions
Lightly spray the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish and set aside. Preheat your oven to 400 F.

In a large skillet over medium heat add the two tablespoons of olive oil.

Add diced onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.

Add in the minced garlic and cook for one minute. Add in the flour, cumin and the tablespoon of diced chipotle peppers, stir.

Whisk in the broth and water. Add in the tablespoon of adobo sauce if desired and simmer over medium heat until the sauce has thickened. Season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, taste and adjust seasonings.

Put the shredded grilled chicken in a bowl. Add a cup of the “enchilada sauce” to the shredded chicken.

Measure and spread 1/4 of a cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan.

Wrap the 8 whole wheat tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for one minute.

Spoon a little of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla, then tuck and roll each tortilla and place it seam side down into the baking dish.

Pour and spread the remainder of the sauce over top of the enchiladas and top with the half cup of grated Muenster cheese.

Bake, uncovered, in your preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and bubbly.

Serve two per person topped with a dollop of sour cream, your favorite hot sauce and torn cilantro. Other delicious toppings like sliced olives, salsa, green onions and pickled jalapeños would be fantastic too!

Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole Small Onion, Diced Small
½ whole (red, Green Or Orange) Bell Pepper, Diced Small
2 cloves Fresh Garlic, Peeled And Minced
¼ cups All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Minced Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
1-½ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
¼ cups Water
1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce (optional)
¾ teaspoons Kosher Salt
⅛ teaspoons Black Pepper, More Or Less To Taste
2 whole Grilled Chicken Breasts, Shredded In A Large Bowl
8 whole Whole-wheat Tortillas
½ cups Grated Muenster Cheese

Your Favorite Enchilada Toppings, For Serving: Salsa, Sour Cream, Chopped Fresh Cilantro, Etc

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/10/lightened-up-chicken-enchiladas/ Great step by step instructions!

Replies

• krunchykat
    krunchykat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the recipe Hearts, it sounds yummy!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Lightened-up Chicken Enchiladas
    Lightened-up-Chicken-Enchiladas-by-Laurie-Simply-Scratch-410x273.jpeg

Prep Time 35 Minutes
    Cook Time 15 Minutes
    Servings 4

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    1 whole Small Onion, Diced Small
    ½ whole (red, Green Or Orange) Bell Pepper, Diced Small
    2 cloves Fresh Garlic, Peeled And Minced
    ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Cumin
    1 Tablespoon Minced Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
    1-½ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    ¼ cups Water
    1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce (optional)
    ¾ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    ⅛ teaspoons Black Pepper, More Or Less To Taste
    2 whole Grilled Chicken Breasts, Shredded In A Large Bowl
    8 whole Whole-wheat Tortillas
    ½ cups Grated Muenster Cheese

Your Favorite Enchilada Toppings, For Serving: Salsa, Sour Cream, Chopped Fresh Cilantro, Etc

Recipe Description
    Chicken enchiladas lightened up with grilled chicken, whole wheat tortillas and a broth-y chipotle sauce that is to die for!

Lightly spray the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish and set aside. Preheat your oven to 400 F.

In a large skillet over medium heat add the two tablespoons of olive oil.
    Add diced onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.
    Add in the minced garlic and cook for one minute. Add in the flour, cumin and the tablespoon of diced chipotle peppers, stir.

Whisk in the broth and water. Add in the tablespoon of adobo sauce if desired and simmer over medium heat until the sauce has thickened. Season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, taste and adjust seasonings.

Put the shredded grilled chicken in a bowl. Add a cup of the “enchilada sauce” to the shredded chicken.
    Measure and spread 1/4 of a cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan.

Wrap the 8 whole wheat tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for one minute.
    Spoon a little of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla, then tuck and roll each tortilla and place it seam side down into the baking dish.
    Pour and spread the remainder of the sauce over top of the enchiladas and top with the half cup of grated Muenster cheese.

Bake, uncovered, in your preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and bubbly.

Serve two per person topped with a dollop of sour cream, your favorite hot sauce and torn cilantro. Other delicious toppings like sliced olives, salsa, green onions and pickled jalapeños would be fantastic too!

Enjoy!

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/10/lightened-up-chicken-enchiladas/ Great step by step instructions!
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • KristyStuebe
    KristyStuebe Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post about the fantastic chicken enchilada recipe I made tonight that I'd found on the internet. I decided to do a search here to see if any other enchilada recipes had been posted recently and found this...the EXACT recipe I was going to post!

This is a definite keeper. My husband loved it and went back for seconds. I used La Tortilla Factory Sonoma Carb-cutting tortillas (only 60 calories each, from Trader Joe's) instead of whole wheat, and cheddar cheese instead of Muenster. This dish is very filling, which is great because lately my meals have been leaving me feeling less than satisfied. :indifferent:

By my calculations, a serving of 2 enchiladas is 356 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g protein, 33 g carb.
  • calculustiger
    Options
    By my calculations, a serving of 2 enchiladas is 356 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g protein, 33 g carb.
    I don't think that's the correct amount of protein.
  • Mittzu
    Mittzu Posts: 37
    Options
    Bump
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oops! It is 40 g protein per serving.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I was just going to post about the fantastic chicken enchilada recipe I made tonight that I'd found on the internet. I decided to do a search here to see if any other enchilada recipes had been posted recently and found this...the EXACT recipe I was going to post!

This is a definite keeper. My husband loved it and went back for seconds. I used La Tortilla Factory Sonoma Carb-cutting tortillas (only 60 calories each, from Trader Joe's) instead of whole wheat, and cheddar cheese instead of Muenster. This dish is very filling, which is great because lately my meals have been leaving me feeling less than satisfied. :indifferent:

By my calculations, a serving of 2 enchiladas is 356 calories, 10 g fat, 40 g protein, 33 g carb.
    Thanks for the heads up on the lower carb TJ's tortillas! So glad you liked them and how funny this was the very recipe you were ready to post!:tongue:
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    *bump* Thanks!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think I saw this in southern living...