Lifting weights, what does it mean?

Options
I mean, I know that you lift weights.

I am a mom of a toddler and I do not have gym membership. I do have a treadmill and dumbbells, I enjoy hiking and so far I have manage to lose a few pounds.

I still do not look how I wanted to be and according to FAT2FIT app my BF is still at 32.8% I think that is a little high. I would want it to be at least around 25%.

Before MFP I was 160lbs and that was in January and as of yesterday my CW is now 142lbs, my UGW is 130lbs. My question is how do I lose my body fat %?

I know by lifting weights, HOW DO I LIFT WEIGHTS? I did not mean to be spoon fed, but any suggestions on which "weight lifting" to do? IE: MOnday to Friday with cardio? or to saturday?

Thanks in advance =)

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is great but is not the only way to preserve lean body mass while cutting body fat. Resistance training can be a lot of things. Weights are one form but you could also do a body weight program or some kind of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

The trick is to constantly be progressing and pushing the resistance to be a little harder than it was last time. This is what causes your body to preserve lean body weight while in a calorie deficit. With weights it is fairly easy to add another rep or once you reach enough reps then increase weight and continue. With body weight you need to find ways to increase the difficulty once the exercise become easier. With HIIT you need to increase intensity, duration and/or reduce time between intervals.

There are also resistance band and adjustable weight dumbbells and household items that you can use for resistance.

A full body workout 3-4 day a week is usually enough. Try for at least one day of rest between workouts. Add some cardio a couple of times a week if you like.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I would suggest reading this: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Should answer a lot of your questions. Good luck in your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading this: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Should answer a lot of your questions. Good luck in your goals. :flowerforyou:

Yup.
  • mrsartis1
    mrsartis1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Thank you, I will look for that book =)
  • mrsartis1
    mrsartis1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is great but is not the only way to preserve lean body mass while cutting body fat. Resistance training can be a lot of things. Weights are one form but you could also do a body weight program or some kind of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

The trick is to constantly be progressing and pushing the resistance to be a little harder than it was last time. This is what causes your body to preserve lean body weight while in a calorie deficit. With weights it is fairly easy to add another rep or once you reach enough reps then increase weight and continue. With body weight you need to find ways to increase the difficulty once the exercise become easier. With HIIT you need to increase intensity, duration and/or reduce time between intervals.

There are also resistance band and adjustable weight dumbbells and household items that you can use for resistance.

A full body workout 3-4 day a week is usually enough. Try for at least one day of rest between workouts. Add some cardio a couple of times a week if you like.

Thanks for your reply, would a 30DS considered be a HIIT?