Painful after walking!

Options
OK, fitness gurus... years of being a couch potato have earned me 40 extra lbs and terrible cardio endurance. So, I'm starting by going for a quick walk for 30 minutes. I'm only walking about 3mph, but keep in mind that I'm only 5 feet tall, so my short little legs can't walk much faster than that without breaking into a jog! I've been at it almost every day for about a week, and tonight I even tried a little jog. But now my feet, shins, back and hips are killing me!! Will this go away with time? If my body will eventually adjust, then I'll keep at it and put up with the pain. Anyone have some advice??

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will go away in time. Take a break and rest up.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'3", and I have little legs, too, so 3.0 on a treadmill for me works up a good sweat.

I did a 5k about a month ago with a lady who's legs came up to my chest, and I swear, I did 5mph that entire hour... and I could barely get out of the car.

Your pains that you're describing WILL go away with time. You just need to get your body used to the activity, and, remembering to start out gently and not just running a full 5miles your first day will help.

Listen to your body during the walk. If something still doesn't feel right, I personally don't go harder, thinking that it will just go away. I'm perfectly content just walking, because no matter what, at the end of the day, you did a lot more activity than what you would have done just sitting on the couch!

Best wishes and good luck!!! :)
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What type of shoes are you wearing? Were you outside or on a treadmill? Treadmills can be very hard on the lower body and back so it does take time to adjust. Make sure you do a warm up and stretch after--and stretch well
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes and what kind of shoes are you wearing? Invest in a good brand name running or walking shoe. If it's more than 6 months old that could be the problem. If that does not fix it see your doctor to see if there are any arthritic issues. I had severe knee pain and later discovered my hip was shot, (replaced 8 years ago when I was 46). The knee pain was a result of my compensating for the bad hip which messed up the knee alignment. Good luck!
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Do your walking shoes have the proper support? That makes a world of difference. Don't walk/jog in the same shoes you wear for "everyday." The pain will go away as your endurance increases too. But definitely look into the proper shoe. I got a pair of walking/jogging shoes at a specialty store where they analize your walk and they made things way better. Carry on my shorty legged sister(I'm 5'2")! :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Shoes can make a huge difference!
    Start slow and work up the pace may need to add in a rest day.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Yes. It goes away.

Go to a running store and get fitted for good walking shoes. Shoes make all the difference.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yes. It goes away.

Go to a running store and get fitted for good walking shoes. Shoes make all the difference.
    exactly this and only this. Go get fitted, have them do a gait analysis. Don't go to a sporting goods or department store, but a legit running store.
  • kroetam
    kroetam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are FAST! Well, my shoes are new, and pretty good, I think. Glad to know that I should get used to the routine :) That being said, I kinda skipped the warm up thing, so I'll be sure to do that tomorrow! As far as my location.... I am lucky enough to live on the most beautiful beach in Canada, so now that the crappy snow is gone, I can walk the beach (or the side roads around it). Thanks for all the advice... have been losing weight for the first time in my life, and it feels great!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are FAST! Well, my shoes are new, and pretty good, I think.
    were they fitted specifically for you after someone at a legit running store checked out your foot, stance, and gait?

The only reason I ask is this:

I went online to get info on good running shoes. Bought my size online, had them shipped to my home... laced up and took off. By the end of my run, my feet/legs/shins/back/knees/everything else still felt the same. It wasn't that they were bad shoes, or old.. or anything like that..

..they just weren't what my feet needed.
  • ObjectInMotion
    Options
    Wow! You guys are FAST! Well, my shoes are new, and pretty good, I think.
    were they fitted specifically for you after someone at a legit running store checked out your foot, stance, and gait?

The only reason I ask is this:

I went online to get info on good running shoes. Bought my size online, had them shipped to my home... laced up and took off. By the end of my run, my feet/legs/shins/back/knees/everything else still felt the same. It wasn't that they were bad shoes, or old.. or anything like that..

..they just weren't what my feet needed.

This is absolutely true. Go to a running store where they fit you. I did the same exact thing. Did a ton of online research, bought shoes (awesome shoes) for high arches and within a few weeks my hips and knees hurt so bad I couldn't do basic exercises. After going to a store where they fit you, I had a pronation issue and needed different support. It solved my problem and my hips and knees felt better within hours of wearing those new shoes. Lesson learned. It's worth a shot and may as well get checked out before you end up with too much pain.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes. It goes away.

This. for sure! When i started running I had all sorts of pains until i got evaluated and fitted for proper shoes. they cost a bit more...but worth every penny.
  • Paulavezz
    Options
    Hey, all -

Same issues here. I was sedentary for a long time, and started walking about 3 weeks ago. I have spinal stenosis so I don' t think I'll ever become a runner, per se, but after walking 3 miles a day (briskly) on an paved oval track I got on my treadmill. Walked briskly, interspersed with a little jogging. I have horrible pain in my left knee and left ankle. I haven't walked in a couple days because I'm afraid I'll injure myself further. I do have a new pair of Nikes, but I doubt they're walking shoes. Sounds like my issues are temporary and I should make sure I stretch before I exercise, but can someone tell me how much a good quality pair of walking shoes will cost?

Thanks in advance.
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    Apart from the shoes which are essential
    Get yourself a good sports recovery cream - not dencorub or deep heat
    Something with emu oil maybe, and something that doesn't smell so strong you won't use it
    Arnica, calendula and other natural ingredients seem to be in the ones I like

Apply this to the sore areas and give it a good massage
    Really get into those sore spots, rubbing along the muscle fibres etc
    This gets the cream in and gets blood running to the area and helps with recovery
    relief may not be immediate, though - this should be something done reasonably regularly

Also consider compression socks

Walking or running, particularly if carrying extra weight, puts a lot of strain on feet and knees
    good shoes, warm up or light stretching beforehand, and a good massage afterwards